Notices

Thanks for the great advice Copernicus. My RPi does indeed run a linux variant (Raspbian wheezy). There is already a LIRC_GPIO driver so that is also taken care of. I was hoping to avoid writing a new web interface though since the Pierogi app is better than any web interface I could conjure up. Nonetheless the ability to use any web enabled device is tempting enough for me to give it a shot. Thanks again.

The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
I guess, for me, I treat all of Pierogi as still being questionable. You may be getting 4m now, but maybe you could be getting 5m if I set things up just right... So yeah, I don't know exactly what you should treat as an issue and what you shouldn't.

It is also true that many manufacturers set up their devices to be extremely tolerant of off-spec IR signals. (After all, most remote controls are constructed very cheaply.) I'm always amazed looking at the LIRC config files; some of the timings in them are off by more than 20 or 30 percent, and yet they still work fine.
Some more information to be added to the IR table soon but thought it was worth discussing first.

Been on holiday last week and as I do with everything that has a IR remote I try Pierogi on it.

A Panasonic TV and a Panasonic CD/Radio both worked but only at the same distance as other Panasonic stuff I have tested before (~2m)

This made me think, you say the timings maybe off by X percent. How easy could it be to setup an "Advanced" tab in the Power Key area to manually tweak the timings?

People with Panasonic's etc can manually tweak to get the best range and let you know. Then you can adjust the timings for the other keys in an update.

I am sure you understand what I mean, possible or not a good idea?

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by sixwheeledbeast View Post
This made me think, you say the timings maybe off by X percent. How easy could it be to setup an "Advanced" tab in the Power Key area to manually tweak the timings?
Definitely a good idea; I've been intending to add such an ability to the keyset settings dialog for a while now. Certainly the duty cycle value is easy to play with; the carrier frequency would require a bit more care to get right, but would probably provide greater potential improvements to compatibility.

My apologies for not getting any updates out recently, I've been kinda swamped by "real life" issues. I'll hopefully get back to regular Pierogi work soon...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Thank you for this very useful application, really appreciate the effort you have put into it!

Personally I'm impressed by the application, but I can't use it currently. As it stands, there doesn't seem to be a working keyset for the only device I currently own which has a remote control

It is a projector, a Mitsubishi HC1500.

The Following User Says Thank You to malfunctioning For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by malfunctioning View Post
As it stands, there doesn't seem to be a working keyset for the only device I currently own which has a remote control

It is a projector, a Mitsubishi HC1500.
My apologies, I've been away from Pierogi for a couple of weeks; I'll have to make some time and get back to updating the app.

I've done a quick check, and found at least one Mitsubishi projector keyset in the LIRC collection. (It's using the "Proton" protocol, and yeah, I don't currently have a matching keyset in Pierogi yet.) I'll try and get it into an update soon...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 545 | Thanked: 560 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ lebanon
while you are adding for projectors take a look on NEC projectors .

Originally Posted by myname24 View Post
while you are adding for projectors take a look on NEC projectors .
Will do! There are a good collection of NEC projector files on the hifi-remotes website. I'll get them into the next release...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
My apologies, I've been away from Pierogi for a couple of weeks; I'll have to make some time and get back to updating the app.

I've done a quick check, and found at least one Mitsubishi projector keyset in the LIRC collection. (It's using the "Proton" protocol, and yeah, I don't currently have a matching keyset in Pierogi yet.) I'll try and get it into an update soon...
You have done a great job with Pierogi, and your work is greatly appreciated. Thank you very much!

I am going to start looking into the dev tools so maybe I can start contributing too soon.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to malfunctioning For This Useful Post:
Posts: 80 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Northern Italy
Am I the only one for whom Pierogi doesn't work?

The IR LED lights up, I've confirmed with a camera, but I can't seem to do anything to TV sets. I've tried Panasonics, Philips, Toshiba and Samsung, with all keysets, and I got exactly zero results.

The Following User Says Thank You to Fallingwater For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Fallingwater View Post
Am I the only one for whom Pierogi doesn't work?

The IR LED lights up, I've confirmed with a camera, but I can't seem to do anything to TV sets. I've tried Panasonics, Philips, Toshiba and Samsung, with all keysets, and I got exactly zero results.
Interesting! Can you tell me what version of Pierogi you're using, and if there is anything special about your N900? If you can actually see the IR lighting up, I can't see too many things that could affect it.

Let's see... I know that if you're running the LIRC server (which is used by apps like QtIrreco and Raemote), Pierogi won't be able to use the IR, because LIRC doesn't like to share. I suppose if you're running a special Kernel, Pierogi might not interact with it correctly. It might also be possible for very high or very low overclock settings to affect the signal timings, although I doubt it.

Also, some N900s don't seem to have as great a range as others. You might try holding yours right up to the TV's IR receiver to see if you can get it to work.

And, finally, let me note that while there are many keysets now in Pierogi, I make no claims that it can control every IR device out there. I think it's quite possible to still find a large number of TV sets that Pierogi does not work with.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:

Tags
infrared, pasta, remote, remote control