"Coding Competition 2012 - Network and Communications"
-----
"Coding Competition 2012 - Other"
-----
"Coding Competition 2012 - Updates and development on existing apps"
-----
"Coding Competition 2012 - Beginners"
-----
The voter turnout is pretty low actually...
Thanks for working out the numbers Wonko Yep it's quite a bit lower than I hoped for. I guess it reflects the community interest and where things are at the moment

It doesn't look so bad when you put the number of application submissions against the number of voters. Although the number of voters is smaller this year, I still think it was right to make the winners and the prize distribution a community decision rather than a jury or some other method

"Coding Competition 2012 - Desktop, System, and Utilities"
95 voters (22 submissions)
-----
"Coding Competition 2012 - Games, Graphics, and Multimedia"
82 voters (17 submissions)
-----
"Coding Competition 2012 - Location and Navigation"
66 voters (4 submission)
-----
"Coding Competition 2012 - Network and Communications"
80 voters (14 submissions)
-----
"Coding Competition 2012 - Other"
88 voters (11 submissions)
-----
"Coding Competition 2012 - Updates and development on existing apps"
92 voters (18 submissions)
-----
"Coding Competition 2012 - Beginners"
80 voters (22 submissions)
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Whoa, I expected, that CC will "beat" council voting by a factor of at least two. Well, for sure CD beat it via quality of outcome, so it's OK, nevertheless

But, if, after all, I'm not wrong that CC gained more votes than BoD will, it's not happy prognosis...

Well, no need to put aside festival of happiness after CC results (rightly one, as it's great success!) by me worrying about future, so lets put it aside.
Oh I really hope the council and board elections can gather more voters, it's a really huge decision for the future of our community here. Although I take some pleasure the coding competition normally beating the council voting for numbers, this time I will be very pleased to see a huge turnout for the council/BoD elections

Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
votes are less than number of submissions

sad... I knew it was hard work to vote, but I supposed it was substantially easier than coding a full application from scratch.
It's not quite as bad as that.. But right, we tried to make it as easy as possible for people who were eligible to vote to do so. I hope no-one takes the low voter turnout to be a reflection of the quality of their applications, personally I think this was the best group of applications in any of the 3 competitions. Whatever.. please all be proud of your hard work

Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
i think the vote count has more to do with newer members unable to vote than anything else...

a number of developers couldn't vote too due to this...
This is true, though I was only aware of less than 10 in this situation. They may have been others who didnt raise it though..

Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
Then I am not an average user, because it's difficult for me to read a wiki without having an urge to edit the article here or there, even if I am not an expert in the subject. Having an account on "wiki.maemo.org" is synonymous with having an account on "maemo.org" itself, correct?
I think the average tmo/maemo.org user is aware of the separation as, like you say, as soon as you try to get involved with other things outside the talk forums (such as editing the wikis) you run into needing to create an account to do that. The average talk.maemo.org user who isn't involved with other things may not be though. It's a lesson from this competition, but hopefully it's something we don;'need to think about for the next one.

Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
IMHO, some voters might have just voted in some categories and not others, so the unique voter count might by slightly larger than just the number of voters for the most popular category.
I think you're right about that. I sent an email to Woody earlier this morning to see if he knew anything about checking how many voters had used unique voting tokens which would answer that question.

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

Last edited by kojacker; 2012-09-30 at 14:01.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
IMHO, some voters might have just voted in some categories and not others, so the unique voter count might by slightly larger than just the number of voters for the most popular category.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kojacker View Post
personally I think this was the best group of applications in any of the 3 competitions.
Absolutely agree. I was awesome set!
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 543 | Thanked: 802 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Germany
Originally Posted by kojacker View Post
Yep, there's certainly a chance of winning something - we have 4 devices as prizes in the network & communications category then the community bounty shares come after that.. But we'll know more at the end of the weekend. So anyone with a similar question please hang tight - there won't be long to find out
Holy sh*t!

I may be the single developer (worldwide) earning money from Windows Phone despite never developing anything for this reincarnation of the evil.

Boah, thanks to all voters and congratulations to all better placed. Make good use of your devices. Congratulations!

Please DONATE if you like my work!
It's the best way to motivate me to create more stuff for your Device.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to helex For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by computerinfo21 View Post
I agree, was pretty disappointed but your suggestion helped me feel better. Lots of people put Task Poach up a lot higher than it placed, so I'm glad others appreciate it too. I know I'll use it, so it was not a waste of time either.

Congrats to the winners & all developers. You all did great, and the commnity is the real winner here with all these new apps to keep our phones alive longer.
Same here I was quite dissappointed I came near the bottom!

Maybe it's just the developers that don't really like ebay apps - or just that voters didn't realise I was doing it in my spare time while having a full time job as well?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rash.m2k For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,012 | Thanked: 817 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ France
Maybe it's just the developers that don't really like ebay apps - or just that voters didn't realise I was doing it in my spare time while having a full time job as well?
Like most of us ...

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Khertan For This Useful Post:
Hey all, I think we can call these results official now

I had one query regarding the voting process over the weekend and talked it over with Wonko, but we both felt things were ok. And as everything is consistent with the previous competition and what was laid out in the rules - that horse probably bolted (ie it's a bit late for a rethink). There'll be a new voting process on the next community site and I'm planning to bring feedback from our competition into that.

I've already started asking the top placed developers (1st or 2nd) from each category what their preferred device reward is. That can affect what's available to 3rd and 4th place as you guys get to pick from what's left basically.. Folks with a N950 and N9 already through the device program are out of luck, but I'll substitute in the largest share of the bounty. I hope to get devices all allocated before the end of the working week, so all you lucky winners should hear from me soon.

Originally Posted by helex View Post
Holy sh*t!

I may be the single developer (worldwide) earning money from Windows Phone despite never developing anything for this reincarnation of the evil.

Boah, thanks to all voters and congratulations to all better placed. Make good use of your devices. Congratulations!
Shhusssh you! Stop talking about prizes

Originally Posted by rash.m2k View Post
Same here I was quite dissappointed I came near the bottom!

We can feel your disappointment rash.. To be truthful, the bottom half of the results don't mean a lot because of the number of votes - try not to be too downhearted You have 22 thanks in your announce thread for meebay for a start so please know your work is appreciated. It just didn't work out this time for you

Originally Posted by Khertan View Post
Like most of us ...
Yep, we have to remember that our community is basically made up of volunteer developers who fit their development for us around their busy lives. That's one of the reasons the first competition came about, because I felt a lot of people were demanding why 'this or that' wasn't done or available yet on their N900. And these people maybe didn't appreciate the efforts of developers trying to code in their free time. So it was a way for the community who do appreciate to thank the developers. Annoyingly we can't thank everyone in a competition with a prize, cos everyone deserves would certainly deserve one

In saying all that, we have 25 devices from Nokia, plus a device prize from fcrochik, plus a bounty split (which was bounty total/7 categories /2 shares a category) - so 25 + 1 + 14 = 40 individual developer prizes. Which covers a lot of everyone who entered so that's cool. It's unusual to have a competition that awards so many people, but we are an unusual community

I've been vague on bounty split because I was afraid we could end up with a category with 3 or more ineligible developers for devices and I didn't want to be tied down to 2 shares a category - thankfully that doesn't seem to be the case.

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

Last edited by kojacker; 2012-10-01 at 12:20.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,012 | Thanked: 817 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ France
So i ve added results to the wiki page, if someone can review it, to be sure i didn't make any mistake. Thanks

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Khertan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 533 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Italy
There's something I don't understand:
Alpha Strike and Crosswords are listed as winners both in Games, Graphics & Multimedia and in Beginners.
Does this mean the developers won two devices?

Just for curiosity: can we know how many developers voted for theirs own apps (just a number, don't want to know the names)?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sakya For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
@kojacker

I've been planning to dump a decent wad of cash into the bounty for a while now...
I probably won't get round to it for a few more mths, is it too late then, or is the bounty open permanently?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:

Tags
happy new year, mcc2012, merry christmas