Active Topics

Originally Posted by sakya View Post
There's something I don't understand:
Alpha Strike and Crosswords are listed as winners both in Games, Graphics & Multimedia and in Beginners.
Does this mean the developers won two devices?

Just for curiosity: can we know how many developers voted for theirs own apps?
Hi sakya, as noted in the rules it's one prize per developer. So the answer to your first question is nope - no one will be rewarded two prizes. I've been in touch with both and confirmed which category they would like to receive their device from.

Regarding the second query, the voting tokens are strictly anonymous and I couldn't tell you who they belonged to. There's no way for me to know who voted for which apps.

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 543 | Thanked: 802 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Germany
Originally Posted by rash.m2k View Post
Originally Posted by computerinfo21 View Post
I agree, was pretty disappointed but your suggestion helped me feel better. Lots of people put Task Poach up a lot higher than it placed, so I'm glad others appreciate it too. I know I'll use it, so it was not a waste of time either.
Same here I was quite dissappointed I came near the bottom!

Maybe it's just the developers that don't really like ebay apps - or just that voters didn't realise I was doing it in my spare time while having a full time job as well?
I participated at the first competition with the first Linux application I've ever created (I hand not much Linux knowledge before). It was a somehow ugly python hack I called DreamRemote for the N900. The main reason to develop it was to control my satellite receiver in the living room from my bedroom. It was mainly only for myself and a hard stuff to get it published at the repositories.
During the competiton timeframe I added support for several other receiver types, support for more than a single device at the same time and so on. I learned to dislike python but in the end I was motivated enought to buy after the competition timeframe a C++ book and some months later a book about Qt to learn it the hard way.
I spent the cold months reading and learning new stuff and at the next competition I were able to participate with my own C++ Linux apps. I learned how to crosscompile and published those at the discontinued Intel AppUp store (I got a expensive SSD HD from Intel and later a megacool Ultrabook from Samsung as a thankyou gift), I learned how great it feels if you get your stuff working on different devices like symbian and how hard it is to publish signed sis files at the ovi store. But I got a C7 from Nokia for my symbian portings even though the sales are so low that I'm able to buy every month a small pakage cewing gums from the earnings. Disapointing, but in those moments I try to see the big picture just as you should with this years competition.
I learned during the last year enought to get qualified for a superior Nokia N950 as a loan from the community and won a Nokia N900 because I made with one of my apps the second place in one of the subcategories. A great surprise!
Thanks to the knowledge I needed to learn during the competitions I were earlier this year able to get a BlackBerry Playbook 16GB from RIM and visited this autumn a Developer Event in Berlin and met there some of the most famous and inspiring maemo community members in real live, face to face. A fact I would have never thought about 3 years ago when I switched from my N95 to maemo5 and the N900.

In the meantime I were actually able to use my new knowledge at my daily job. And I'm sure if I need to search for new opportunities I would mention it in my next application. I'm sure, there are not many guys out there which got devices from global big player like Intel, Nokia and RIM for their hobby projects. And not only simple devices, unpublished stuff like the N950 or my new toy from RIM, the prototype DevAlpha.
I'm absolutly sure, this is the biggest thing I could have ever won from this competitons. It makes me feel to have a more safer future. Every participant has left this competition with more knowledge than before. Make good use of it and keep on rocking. Congratulations!

I won at this competition the 5th place in the others category. It was a surprise and feels just great but this price is only a small contribution to all the stuff I won from this competitions. And I will try to invest the bounty again to learn new stuff, to port my applications to new devices and my vain try to chatch up with all the big developer megastars at this community. I will never reach the point were are all those young inspiring talents are. But sometimes it feels like beeing a part of them.

Thank you!

Please DONATE if you like my work!
It's the best way to motivate me to create more stuff for your Device.

Last edited by helex; 2012-10-01 at 11:29.

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to helex For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,012 | Thanked: 817 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ France
kojacker has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Khertan For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
@kojacker

I've been planning to dump a decent wad of cash into the bounty for a while now...
I probably won't get round to it for a few more mths, is it too late then, or is the bounty open permanently?
Oh a few months would be a bit late for us jalyst as i'm hoping to get it all sorted out shortly, probably over the next week. It's nice you were thinking of us though

If you're still feeling generous then I'd suggest you take a look around the individual apps you like, some developers will have individual donation links to paypal accounts etc, and throw a few bucks into the ones you think deserve it. And if they don't have one listed in their signature, ask for one - most of us have a paypal It doesn't have to be a lot, a few bucks for a beer, a cinema ticket, pay towards a meal with the girlfriend.. it's all appreciated.

Originally Posted by Khertan View Post
kojacker has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.
Oh that happens a lot, I've freed a few up now but be quick lol!

Or get me on the competition email address, hurrah for gmail and it's vast quantities of disk size

Originally Posted by helex View Post
I participated at the first competition with the first Linux application I've ever created (I hand not much Linux knowledge before). It was a somehow ugly python hack I called DreamRemote for the N900. The main reason to develop it was to control my satellite receiver in the living room from my bedroom. It was mainly only for myself and a hard stuff to get it published at the repositories.
I still remember how you said nobody would be interested in DreamRemote as it was kind of obscure.. I felt kind of bad .. then next thing I went into the announce thread and it was buzzing with folks curious to know more

Just getting your app out there will bring benefits - not just to the community but to the developer too.. so you haven't won a prize don't feel you've wasted your time. It mightn't feel like it now, but you'll find benefits will come along in one way or another

Last edited by kojacker; 2012-10-01 at 10:23.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
I'm talking about more than a few bucks for an app, I'm talking about enough (or close) to buy a brand new N9 or two N900's etc...
Maybe the council should keep a donation piggy-bank permanently running, a % of which could be set aside for more devices for community developers?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
I'm talking about more than a few bucks for an app, I'm talking about enough (or close) to buy a brand new N9 or two N900's etc...
Maybe the council should keep a donation piggy-bank permanently running, a % of which could be set aside for more devices for community developers?
That sounds really generous of you Jalyst and I think that's a great idea about a community piggy bank We did try to get a maemo.org paypal address set up for the first competition but it never went anywhere, thankfully zehjotkah stepped in as treasurer. It seems with the new Hildon Foundation/community/whatever we turn into there will be a board that has the ability to raise and hold finances so it should be doable then.. I guess? It's up to whoever ends up on the board I guess... hmmm

I think you should raise that up as a great idea, you got my support and I'm sure a lot of other folks too

Last edited by kojacker; 2012-10-01 at 10:30.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 116 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ Birmingham, UK
Originally Posted by kojacker View Post
I think that's a great idea about a community piggy bank. We did try to get a maemo.org paypal address set up for the first competition but it never went anywhere, thankfully zehjotkah stepped in as treasurer. It seems with the new Hildon Foundation/community/whatever we turn into there will be a board that has the ability to raise and hold finances so it should be doable then.. I guess? It's up to whoever ends up on the board I guess.
I'd happily fling a few bob towards it - i am just so happy these coders exist writing these awesome apps to make the N9 an even better experience fr people like me. Shame i was too late to vote.

Thank you ALL for your hard work. Much love <3

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to leoniedelt For This Useful Post:
That sounds really generous of you Jalyst and I think that's a great idea about a community piggy bank We did try to get a maemo.org paypal address set up for the first competition but it never went anywhere, thankfully zehjotkah stepped in as treasurer. It seems with the new Hildon Foundation/community/whatever we turn into there will be a board that has the ability to raise and hold finances so it should be doable then.. I guess? It's up to whoever ends up on the board I guess... hmmm

I think you should raise that up as a great idea, you got my support and I'm sure a lot of other folks too
Absolutely great idea, but OTOH, why Coding Competition can't start gathering funds for *next* year CC right now? I.E funds gathered since end of this competition, would be part of next pool, etc?

It could be good idea, as we're not going to have 25 devices from Nokia anymore - starting gathering funds early, may ensure securing nice prizes for next Competitions, which I'm sure will occur. It's too nice tradition to get lost in transit.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Absolutely great idea, but OTOH, why Coding Competition can't start gathering funds for *next* year CC right now? I.E funds gathered since end of this competition, would be part of next pool, etc?

It could be good idea, as we're not going to have 25 devices from Nokia anymore - starting gathering funds early, may ensure securing nice prizes for next Competitions, which I'm sure will occur. It's too nice tradition to get lost in transit.

/Estel
I feel you're right But to make clear, anything added 'right now' would stil be counted towards this year, so please no-one do that right now unless you'd like us to use it for the current competition (which we'll be happy to do!) But once the contest is over it might be possible to begin collecting for the next one... it feels a long way off though. As zehjotkah is holding all donations in his personal paypal account to pay out later it's probably not fair on him to hold any new donations for a year (he probably wouldn't refuse just to helpful, but it's really not fair to ask him to manage peoples money for such a long time. And although we trust him completely it's not ideal either to have one guy in charge of that in case he's attacked by anti-Maemo Ninjas and goes into hiding). And who knows where we'll all be in a years time .. things change So although I actually really love the idea there's one or two problems to think about first, but not anything that can't be overcome.

Perhaps when the new Hildon Foundation comes in they can set up a community fund and can manage that as a community entity. I believe they will also be looking for community donations when it starts up (I say 'I believe', i haven't had time to follow it closely or really any of the council/BoD stuff but I have heard it mentioned before..). So they must have some idea of what they want in place to manage community donations for their own efforts, perhaps we can make use of that/duplicate that system for other community efforts such as the coding competition and maybe other things we can run throughout the year.

I keep saying 'perhaps' and 'maybe' a lot cos I don't have a clue It should be possible to do something like this, but I think it's best to wait for the new Foundation and site/community to form around that and then see who's interested in doing what

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
I feel you're right But to make clear, anything added 'right now' would stil be counted towards this year, so please no-one do that right now unless you'd like us to use it for the current competition (which we'll be happy to do!) But once the contest is over it might be possible to begin collecting for the next one... it feels a long way off though. As zehjotkah is holding all donations in his personal paypal account to pay out later it's probably not fair on him to hold any new donations for a year (he probably wouldn't refuse just to helpful, but it's really not fair to ask him to manage peoples money for such a long time. And although we trust him completely it's not ideal either to have one guy in charge of that in case he's attacked by anti-Maemo Ninjas and goes into hiding). And who knows where we'll all be in a years time .. things change So although I actually really love the idea there's one or two problems to think about first, but not anything that can't be overcome.

Perhaps when the new Hildon Foundation comes in they can set up a community fund and can manage that as a community entity. I believe they will also be looking for community donations when it starts up (I say 'I believe', i haven't had time to follow it closely or really any of the council/BoD stuff but I have heard it mentioned before..). So they must have some idea of what they want in place to manage community donations for their own efforts, perhaps we can make use of that/duplicate that system for other community efforts such as the coding competition and maybe other things we can run throughout the year.

I keep saying 'perhaps' and 'maybe' a lot cos I don't have a clue It should be possible to do something like this, but I think it's best to wait for the new Foundation and site/community to form around that and then see who's interested in doing what
Maybe we can get some devices from Jolla? (maybe as a payback for their ads on future versions of maemo.org?)

Projects no longer actively developed: here

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:

Tags
happy new year, mcc2012, merry christmas