Active Topics

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Of course they advice you to do that but I think very few app developers will do that until they see how the UI acts and that we actually got a phone in the market. Both as testing unit but also the knowledge of that users will actual use the application. Will also have information about how app distribution will be solved and even if Android applications can be used(double it)

Too many questions and to few answers to start putting any real time in something.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Stskeeps. I want to see that amazing stuff they are talking about on twitter.

Show me, show us, show it now!

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Haha Dave999 you are 1 naughty boy

Yes, Stskeeps you'll need to expose a preview at least

Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Of course they advice you to do that but I think very few app developers will do that until they see how the UI acts and that we actually got a phone in the market. Both as testing unit but also the knowledge of that users will actual use the application. Will also have information about how app distribution will be solved and even if Android applications can be used(double it)
For new applications that may make more sense (to wait a bit), but for existing ones which are to be ported to Jolla's OS - porting them to Nemo now, and building them with Mer SDK is a good exercise which will cover the bulk of the further adaptation for Jolla.

And about distribution - make a good judgement. Community distribution (open source applications) will use community zypper repositories (I hope community will come up with a good shared repo, and not some broken mess). For commercial applications, Jolla will set up some dedicated channel as well I bet. Nothing extraordinary here.

And how are you going to know if users will be willing to use the application? I don't think Jolla can help you in any way here. It's your own thing to deal with. Make a good and useful application, don't duplicate efforts without a valid reason and better make it open source. Someone will use it.

Last edited by shmerl; 2012-10-11 at 15:50.

but...does it come with a keyboard?

Originally Posted by vi_ View Post
but...does it come with a keyboard?
Of course it will. All mobile devices comes with a keyboard nowdays

Have you been living under a rock?

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by Zoxir View Post
Tizen devices were supposed to come out on Q4 2012
That was never a definite, in fact I recall them changing that quite early in the yr (before the more recent announcement that WP's getting more focus) & saying early 2013, which always sounded more realistic anyway.
But yeah, I'd love some way tighter collab. between it MeR/Sailfish(Jolla)/OpenWebOS/B2G etc, then again, that might be a bad thing given that: Samsung seems to "not get it" (ala Nokia), & three of the parties are so HTML5-centric they might eventually drown-out MeR/Sailfish's "Qt-ness".

I spoke to Jolla recently, they said they're looking into answering at least some of the questions from our community doc, last I checked they were still looking into it, I will continue to chase them up about it.
Upon skimming this thread to catch-up on the latest, it seems some (shmerl etc) have raised some new/interesting questions, please put them in the doc.

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-10-11 at 18:21.

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post

I spoke to Jolla recently, they said they're looking into answering at least some of the questions from our community doc, last I checked they were still looking into it, I will continue to chase them up about it.
Great that you continue asking them. I wouldn't be suprised if their answer comes right after the November event. Maybe even on the same day

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Yeah, it may be that they simply can't answer anything till 21/22...
But anything that isn't answered then, hopefully they can clear that up in the doc.
If not right away, then hopefully just before the next announcement in Dec.

If the first question in doc is when they plan to answer the question you dont need to speculate

Tags
jolla, jolla on topic, jollamobile, meego, merproject, nokia, nokian9, professionals, speculations, tizenjolla