Active Topics

thanks to keep investigating this, I'm all for a better wifi browsing experience on my N9

I had the same "feeling" comparing N9 with Nitdroid...
Thanks for digging into this bug !

Posts: 470 | Thanked: 173 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Melb
I'm sorry for the lack of detail in this.

The other day I forgot to pay my phone bill, resulting in texts, calls, everything, not working, which seemingly completely irrelevant. Then, whilst waiting for them to reconnect me after having sorted out my phone bill, my N9 asked to connect to my wifi, Ithought why not? Surely crappy temperamental internet beats no internet.

And it worked perfectly.

Once 3g resumed working and I could send messages again, the wifi went back to being rubbish.going offline doesn't have the same effect, and for the life of me, Ican't figure out what made it start working when I was disconnected.

Beginning conjecture, enter conspiracy theory:
What if Nokia crippled wifi to compel N9 users to only use 3g?
IKnow with my N900 Ibarely used 3g, but now, I'm an exclusive 3g-er..

I just realised that removing the Sim should have some kind of effect, will play around with it, but don't hold your breath, the protective rubber case is a biatch!

The Following User Says Thank You to optimaxxx For This Useful Post:
Hi,

Every (experienced) user of the N9 knows about wifi N connectivity issues. However unless you have a 100 Mbits internet connection (cable, optic fiber, etc.) or use big files transfer between your N9 and another device on your network, the 54Mbits allowed by the wifi G are OK according to me for everyday use.

I would be OK to get only wifi G connectivity for more reliability in the connection with public wifi N hotspot for example. At home i have to set my router (Freebox server V6) in G mode juste for the N9 to the detriment of my others devices (N8, PCs, Android smartphone & tablet) which work all flawlessly with wifi N. So even at home i would be happy to activate wifi N mode on the router.

the article here http://adeadhamster.blogspot.fr/2010...-problems.html gives some clues about the N9 problems with Wifi N. The driver seems to be the cause of our problems.

So I've 2 related questions :
- Which version of the driver does the N9 use ? iwl4965 or iwl5000 ?
- Can we deactivate on boot, by a script or a command, the wifi N mode as described in this article (modprobe iwlagn 11n_disable=1) ? This will force the N9 to work in G mode and what we would "lost" in therorical speed, would be gained in reliability even in public hotspot. If yes what is this magical command ?

The Following User Says Thank You to Yveus For This Useful Post:
I confirm, i don't have any connection issues with my N8 and my router in wifi N mode.

It's finally a N9 flaw. A sort of regression...

So can we find a simalr command than the one for intel chipset ?

Last edited by Yveus; 2012-10-14 at 15:48.

what file did you wget? Want to try the same.

Any updates or findings ?

Sounds like the wifi speed is incresing when you start watching videos on the web...probably nokia disabled "wmm" with purpose to save battery consumption.

Posts: 79 | Thanked: 64 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Pordenone
Originally Posted by qspb View Post
To solve this problem for me I added
Code:
export PATH="/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin"
to .config file in /home/user directory and re-entered the terminal.
but where u added this piece of script???
.config is a directory and in this directory are others directory...
in which file i must write it in??

Hi,
As i write in this post i've send back my n9 to vendor 'cause I think 802.11n problem is due to hardware. so, I only write here for your information ...

As many N9 users I know that I'll have to "bidouille"/hack it to have the best phone ever, but, if something like wifi donesn't work properly ...

It was very difficult to manage my email account, update mail box (only headers), read mail and get SIP account working over wifi ...

I didn't read anything about any link between screen lock and wifi but, in my test to make it work i used ping (ping -t rm696) rm696 is default dns name of n9 on my local network.

ping lost many packets, until my n9 get in "spleep mode" (screen locked after few seconds) and suddenly all pings came back ! I Unlocked phone and again, ping get lost, I locked screen and ping came back !

Of course, as I was running these experiments, all my mails were downloaded, my SIP account connected and so on ! but of course, unable to download mail content when screen is on and SIP get in netwok search mode

Of course, in connection manager, wifi appear to be connected with good signal strength.

I use 300mb/s 802.11n network with wmm active on a netgear wnap320

I really think it's a hardware problem due to screen.