Notices

Posts: 80 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Northern Italy
I figured out the problem.

Also, some N900s don't seem to have as great a range as others. You might try holding yours right up to the TV's IR receiver to see if you can get it to work.
It's not a problem of range; rather, at least on my N900 it's a problem of direction. It seems my device's IR LED is very directional and I have to point it exactly at the TV's receiver. At couch distance if I point it at the right side of the TV it doesn't even register, but it works if I point it at the left lower side.

I'm thinking of cracking open my N900 yet again and swapping out the LED for something a bit more useful.

The Following User Says Thank You to Fallingwater For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by Fallingwater View Post
It's not a problem of range; rather, at least on my N900 it's a problem of direction. It seems my device's IR LED is very directional and I have to point it exactly at the TV's receiver. At couch distance if I point it at the right side of the TV it doesn't even register, but it works if I point it at the left lower side.
Wow, that's a very tight beam indeed. Let me check mine...

Well, that's interesting! Just eyeballing it, my main N900 (a revision 2204 device) can be pointed maybe 30 degrees left or right of the target and still activate it. Up and down is better, maybe 45 degrees off. My testing N900 (revision 2101) does better though, roughly 45 degrees left and right, and 60 degrees up and down.

So it does seem to vary by device. I'm not sure whether that'd be a function of the IR LED itself, or perhaps how deeply it's been set into the case...

The Following User Says Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Fallingwater View Post
I'm thinking of cracking open my N900 yet again and swapping out the LED for something a bit more useful.
Then you will run into problem of too low amount of power, to drive more omni-directional diode - it may work, but for a change, you will end up with beam of ~70 degrees coverage, but requiring to be 20 centimeters from receiver

I have tried that myself, once (also putting diffusing lens from old remote, in front of N900's one), and it just won't work. Only one feasible way is to build small IR blaster/repeater, which gets commands from N900's IR transmitter, and repeats them using powerful beam. (this way, you build powerful IR cheaply, that can still make use of awesome programs like Pierogi).

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Then you will run into problem of too low amount of power, to drive more omni-directional diode - it may work, but for a change, you will end up with beam of ~70 degrees coverage, but requiring to be 20 centimeters from receiver

I have tried that myself, once (also putting diffusing lens from old remote, in front of N900's one), and it just won't work. Only one feasible way is to build small IR blaster/repeater, which gets commands from N900's IR transmitter, and repeats them using powerful beam. (this way, you build powerful IR cheaply, that can still make use of awesome programs like Pierogi).

/Estel
what is the highest frequency for pierogi?
Maybe replacing the LED with an optocoupler and wiring an IR LED on the back cover connected directly to the battery is an alternative. Would high frequency signals get destroyed?

AFAIK N900's IR diode's (+) voltage is connected with battery - the problem is with element after (-) side of diode (can't remember name now), which got pretty low limit of current passing.

mini Ir repeater, wired inside N900 with bigger cover (aka mugen one), could make it possible to put everything inside device. Still, it would require pretty nifty miniaturization, and would rather require single battery (no dual-scud + ir repeater inside, sadly, unless you can prepare it from really micro components, and solder under microscope).

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
This is worth a read

Also don't forget

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

Last edited by sixwheeledbeast; 2012-10-20 at 19:43.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
I think the easier solution would be to do what iPhone & Android folks are doing, create an IR dongle of some sort, and send the commands from the phone to the dongle (via wifi or bluetooth or whatever). I don't know how much work this would take, but there seem to be plenty of folks selling products of that sort...

The Following User Says Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
But that require dedicated hardware, able to receive commands over bluetooth/wifi. IR repeater can be build very cheaply, if not free (when using components scavenged from old devices/other projects).

not to mention, that our IR transmitter isn't becoming totally obsolete, as with sending commands over bluetooth/wifi

/Estel

// Edit

From sixwheeledbeast's link - this post seem to be conclusion:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...7&postcount=21

Although, I don't know, what it mean in practice, it's not my area of expertise (yet). Does he mean, that we can just replace resistor by ones with 1/2 or 1/4 resistance and it will work with higher current (not voltage) flowing through diodes (= more power, or possibility to insert better diode), or not?

sixwheeledbeast, what you understand from that post?
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

Last edited by Estel; 2012-10-20 at 19:51.

AFAIK N900's IR diode's (+) voltage is connected with battery - the problem is with element after (-) side of diode (can't remember name now), which got pretty low limit of current passing.

/Estel
with an optocoupler in place of the diode it would not matter, would it? The two circuits would be isolated. You could even go for a Darlington pair optocoupler just for good measure. The new IR diode could run off 3.7 volts directly from the battery instead of being limited to 1.8V or the component limited current on the other side of the opto. It's also just three components (or two if you buy an LED with a built in resistor); an optocoupler, an LED and a resistor. I'm not brave enough to give it a shot (I only have one n900). It is just an idea for anybody wanting a more powerful IR diode built into their N900. The optocoupler/LED/Resistor combo is in a sense a repeater and can be made very small ( easy to fit into mugen type cover).

P.S. would an IR Emitting Diode be called an IED instead of an LED? Not the explosive type obviously.

Last edited by Cue; 2012-10-20 at 21:29.

The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Originally Posted by Cue View Post
P.S. would an IR Emitting Diode be called an IED instead of an LED? Not the explosive type obviously.
IR LED, IED is normally used for Intelligent Electronic Device.

There still emitting light no reason to drop the L.

sixwheeledbeast, what you understand from that post?
The issue is if the transistors can handle the current.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

Last edited by sixwheeledbeast; 2012-10-20 at 21:59.

Tags
infrared, pasta, remote, remote control