Active Topics

@jalyst Well, the phone will be released before end of 2012, and they also tweeted about the phone details will be in December, so I'm guessing it will be.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by Chuck Norris View Post
Sailfish is not complete"if a os ever be". This is the first release of many, and to bring in a beta OS as your primary OS, it's a gamble very few companies can do.
Agreed, I doubt they'd bet entirely on it, it MAY become part of their portfolio, hopefully.

Originally Posted by Akkumaru View Post
@jalyst Well, the phone will be released before end of 2012, and they also tweeted about the phone details will be in December, so I'm guessing it will be.

They've only ever said they'll reveal more details in Dec, they've NEVER said it'll be on shelves this year.
It might, but it's extremely unlikely, Q1-Q3 of 2013 is far more probable, & reasonable...

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-10-21 at 07:21.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
This.

What has jolla communicated, to whom. The message isn't clear. This is the problem when using tiwtter. You only gets part of the messages and blogs and posts on forum spreading the word but you dont now whats offical press releases and whats twister in blogs and posts.You don't see what jolla offical saying.

Instead create a basic website and present the press release there. It's official and no one can miss it. why spreading the information all over the place(read internet) when you place it front and center. (This is what you trying to do here all the time, Mr Jalyst, and its great )

The message is there. But is it clear enough for the user/reader to paint the picture?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2012-10-21 at 07:41.

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Let's discuss the question sets a bit.

I'm not talking on behalf of Jolla here - this is my own private opinion, but a couple of hints of advice in general when you're doing question sets to any companies:

1) Don't have the questions set morph and change constantly. Make a final version of the questions, send that by e-mail or other form that isn't a live document.

A live document is very time consuming to answer and sometimes problematic as you never know if the original questions will be modified, or you'll be accused of not answering everything when you have tried to answer the set of questions you had at the time.

2) Identify one person which is the person that contacts the company with the questions - if there's multiple people pushing it gets unclear who is actually supposed to receive the answers.

- I vote this is jalyst.

3) As with any person that's getting interviewed, pressuring or being rude will often cause the opposite effect than wanted and ruining the whole thing for everybody involved.

4) EULAs/terms of conditions of the places the live documents are can sometimes matter a lot in terms of having anybody from companies participating in it in their roles as employees.

5) Moderation is always good - go through questions, set up realistic expectations for those being answered - discuss if it's even appropriate to ask some of them. Make sure questions are specific, not extremely broad.

- Make a tmo thread for discussing the questions together. There was an attempt in the live document but that's not a very good discussion forum.

6) Be aware there's many things that a company delivering a product simply can't answer as if some of these may not come to fruition in that specific form it's being answered, no matter how much it's tried, it may be constituted as false marketing towards a consumer and it's a very thin line to walk

7) Be aware that there's questions that may make sense to discuss with a community but when seen in context of for example lawsuits (patent policy, IPR licensing, discussion as examples) it's pure gold for the opponents.

8) Respect that some employees cannot talk about their past or knowledge of other companies' projects.

Hence, my advice is:

* Walk through the questions, perhaps deeper specify them a bit, moderate a bit what's realistic to really ask.

* One person (moderator) make a final version of the question set, PDF them up, send them by e-mail to press@jollamobile.com or the likes so there's one contact point to the questions. Somebody like EIPI has done really good work in the past as well, interviewing individual community members.

* Respect that there will be no answer on some issues simply because conditions tie a company to not being able to answer these. Not answering does not mean community unfriendly, but making sure that it's possible to continue a business that actually cares about community.

* There will be times when some questions can be answered now, some later, some in the future when it's more clear what the idea is. Sometimes finding answers need exploring together with a community on what can be done together.

and in the end.. there's really an honest attempt at building proper community - but as with any definition, community means different things to different people.

Much of it is being seen in Mer and Nemo community already, where there's deep involvement in areas by community traditionally reserved only for company employees in let's say, Nokia times.

Personally I believe that the best thing to do is to give the bits and pieces that allow community to innovate properly and in a structured manner - while maintaining own identity of the product offering to make it commercially viable.

I fully forsee communities developing full UI, features with a lot less manpower than companies have had to use in the previous years, community members spinning out to do companies together surrounding their technologies and selling these services to many device makers.

A community of do'ers.

Hope this helps move things a bit ahead.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
or simply wait until the 21, since we don't get any real answers now anyways...after that we might get answers on some questions but at time, we already know the the answers.

I'm not against the idea of the document, Its just that when we get the asnwers, we already know the answers

Anyway, stskeeps suggestions are great. keep it up Jalyst. Make it happen!

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Thanks for re-posting that here stskeeps, much better that everyone sees it rather than just me...
The Jolla Qns doc is everyone's, we're free to organize it however we decide is the best way to proceed.
I agree at some point it should be locked, maybe even all the content should then be copy/pasted to another medium before passing it to Jolla.
Perhaps the doc should be narrowed to concerns/ideas/Qns relating to Jolla, & we have a separate one for the Sailfish alliance?
And as stskeeps suggested, do we start a new thread dedicated solely to discussing the doc, & keep this one for more generic banter?

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-10-21 at 09:13.

Haha, just realized some moderator edited my footer. It seems that this place isn't as open and free as I thought. Didn't even notify me. Crazy world If the mod responsible for this sneaky undercover attack have the guts to show himself or tells me why I would be pleased or I have to call the police.

Where is the list of moderators? I need to start an investigation until jolla release some information.

Last edited by Dave999; 2012-10-21 at 12:47.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Cool story bro

Well all the industry spec is that he's going for Android, can't recall whether he's specifically said anything like that himself, think he may of at least once already.*
But hopefully Sailfish is at least being looked at closely now, & I hope it becomes a important part of the portfolio, if not the primary part...

*hence all the "pee in your pants" jokes, something he once famously said about Android.
I have not followed Vertu much but the little I know about them is that they have private investors(from wikipedia) and theyr focus has been "low volumes" and "luxery mobile" and as we know it was a Nokia owned company.

To me it looks more logical step replace symbian with Meego/QT if they plan to differentiate, luxery == higher prices == hype it. Also if its exnokia people they already has more knowhow in Symbian+QT/C++/C and Meego than Android/Java.

Going Android route is just as stupid as Nokia going WP for them. They would ust be another Android company.

They probadly not intrested in big volumes instead theyr intrests seems to be differentiate and have high price tags to hype up the company. And with Meego combination its more logic IMHO. Second I dont thinks those consumers buying those luxery highprices devices is intrested in 1000000 buggy android apps anyway...

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2012-10-21 at 14:34.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by Chuck Norris View Post
Sailfish is not complete"if a os ever be". This is the first release of many, and to bring in a beta OS as your primary OS, it's a gamble very few companies can do.

Tizen is beta, Android is beta, Meego is beta, WP is beta,

we dont know yet but if most stuff is based on Maemo/Meego harmattan But I dont see it as more "beta" than any other OS.

Lets face it: The fast updates on HW specs make every damn OS a beta.... Also Android is fragmented cause of this..

But with beta you have to write new drivers for HW often when new device comes out in any case in ALL OS:es.

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2012-10-21 at 14:49.

Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Tizen is beta, Android is beta, Meego is beta, WP is beta,

we dont know yet but if most stuff is based on Maemo/Meego harmattan But I dont see it as more "beta" than any other OS.

Lets face it: The fast updates on HW specs make every damn OS a beta.... Also Android is fragmented cause of this..

But with beta you have to write new drivers for HW often when new device comes out in any case in ALL OS:es.

seriously, what are you talking about? Please don't quote my posts with answers like that

Tags
jolla, jolla on topic, jollamobile, meego, merproject, nokia, nokian9, professionals, speculations, tizenjolla