Notices

Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
Okay, it's cool. it's nice, but what do you want from us? You want to use it, no one stops you. Or you want as to like it and force us to use it too? Or as i think you want some devs to be interested, so they'll do app for you. And in that case i think it's little bit selfish.

Posts: 461 | Thanked: 358 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Bilbao (Basque Country [Spain])
In general I want to have an app por IM used by all my contacts that respect my privacy. I don't like whatsapp, but nowadays is the standard here.

In particular, of you, well, inform you about of its existence, know about opinions on it, try to get people interested to ask for a Maemo version or even, as you say, get people interested in develop. Is it selfish? Well, since i'd like to have it and if there isn't official version for maemo I won't be able to do it myself, yes it is a bit selfish. I would be happy if more people is interested, so maybe we are enought to be a valuable cause for the company or for the great developers this community have

I hope that talk about an app that I would like to have in Maemo, don't bother you. I won't force anybody, and won't spam in 37 threads about it.

Maybe Jolla devices will help us (just by existing) to have more apps on N9 and N900, since they use Meego... Nowadays, altought my N900 is slow sometimes I don't want another mobile, so long live to it and his community XD But I am anxious for seeing what Jolla will bring us.

a couple of clarifications...

Originally Posted by malkavian View Post
[...]

since i'd like to have it and if there isn't official version for maemo I won't be able to do it myself, yes it is a bit selfish. I would be happy if more people is interested, so maybe we are enought to be a valuable cause for the company
hardly any company will develop a Maemo 5 / Fremantle version of their applications any more. Not even NOKIA does

if you are interested in MeeGo, well, if you are lucky you may find some 3rd party apps. all in all, i suspect, the 3rd party apps that are available in the Ovi / NOKIA Store are from company that were paid by NOKIA to create apps, back when NOKIA still believed in MeeGo...
and of course all the great apps from the MeeGo & Maemo Communities (often enough the same people...)

or for the great developers this community have
this community is starting to be spread very thin, as far as development is concerned.
furthermore, right now, our worries are less about new apps and more about sheer survival as NOKIA will stop the funding of Maemo.org (and all it's sub-sites) coming 31st of december

I hope that talk about an app that I would like to have in Maemo, don't bother you. I won't force anybody, and won't spam in 37 threads about it.
that would be very nice of you, indeed

Maybe Jolla devices will help us (just by existing) to have more apps on N9 and N900, since they use Meego... Nowadays, altought my N900 is slow sometimes I don't want another mobile, so long live to it and his community XD But I am anxious for seeing what Jolla will bring us.
don't hold your breath, okay
the folks at Jolla for a good part were the ones that developed the N9s & to some extend MeeGo as well. they definitely went on using N9s (and N950s?) as dev devices and possibly still are until they have enough of their own devices.
thus most likely, version 1 of Jolla's OS will run well enough on N9s, yes
probably not on N900s...
the only question is whether a flasher will also accept N9s as target

The Following User Says Thank You to misterc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
In general I want to have an app por IM used by all my contacts that respect my privacy. I don't like whatsapp, but nowadays is the standard here.

In particular, of you, well, inform you about of its existence, know about opinions on it, try to get people interested to ask for a Maemo version or even, as you say, get people interested in develop. Is it selfish? Well, since i'd like to have it and if there isn't official version for maemo I won't be able to do it myself, yes it is a bit selfish. I would be happy if more people is interested, so maybe we are enought to be a valuable cause for the company or for the great developers this community have

My point was. If you want somebody to develop it for you, you ask properly in request thread. But don't start talking around about how awesome it is or how it is better and try to prove it. DO NO TRICK people you want yo help you.

Or better option is to start developing yourself and ask people for help with questions when you get stack.

P.S. If it is so security awesome and would be closed source, how would you develop one? :P

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZogG For This Useful Post: