Active Topics

Poll: After having experienced the Nokia N900, which phone would you get next (replacement phone)?
Poll Options
After having experienced the Nokia N900, which phone would you get next (replacement phone)?

Posts: 502 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ /dev/null
The UI of meego harmattan doesn't exactly look like maemo. They may share minor similarities but harmattan looks literally different to me.

I'm talking in terms of judging by the videos that the lucky N950 devs posted.

Also you said no to those three but it seems like you missed out, WP7, Blackberry, moblin and the codename maltemi. Oh there's S40 and I think QNX?

maemo is dying and unfortunately meego for handhelds seems to be also dying. Meego as far as I can see requires a mobile phone manufacturer to produce the required device since nokia was the first to pull out of the joint venture with intel.

The Following User Says Thank You to tuxsavvy For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tuxsavvy View Post
The UI of meego harmattan doesn't exactly look like maemo. They may share minor similarities but harmattan looks literally different to me.

I'm talking in terms of judging by the videos that the lucky N950 devs posted.

Also you said no to those three but it seems like you missed out, WP7, Blackberry, moblin and the codename maltemi. Oh there's S40 and I think QNX?

maemo is dying and unfortunately meego for handhelds seems to be also dying. Meego as far as I can see requires a mobile phone manufacturer to produce the required device since nokia was the first to pull out of the joint venture with intel.
hmm maybe the (mango or summin like that) windows version. But as i read your story, I should just stick with n900, maybe in the future some phone company might be brilliant enough to realise that the concept of the n900 is just awesome

After the N900 i'm getting more N900

The N9 it's not what i'm looking for, the hardware keyboard is missing too bad..)

Maemo 5 it's just that great, once you try it you don't want anything else ! (even Meego)

Plus i'm impress how great it can handle 64GB(having only 8GB free of memory I'm seriously crazy about my N900! lol ^^

The Following User Says Thank You to MadVakov For This Useful Post:
Sad to say I know exactly what my next phone will be because I ordered it already. I am not happy. It's not the answer to the n900. I would expect the answer to be and do everything the n900 does PLUS more. However, nokia has failed to provide this. So, now I have ot comprimise my wants with the sincere desire to have an u to date phone. I bought the n900 a week after it came out and have had it ever since. Going to miss this community. However, I can't afford to shell out more money on it. I have been through 3 n900 in the past based on the USB port issue. anyway with all that being said I am buying a nokia Lumia 920. Not cause I want to but because i think it would be the best for me.

The Following User Says Thank You to andraeseus1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 896 | Thanked: 978 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Greece, Athens
L920?

that's a poor N900 replacement.
it would be kinda decent choise IF you were coming from an N8.

but from a N900...?

you should grab yourself a Motorola Droid 3/4 or ,even better, wait for Jolla's phone.

The Following User Says Thank You to HELLASISGREECE For This Useful Post:
Posts: 594 | Thanked: 1,094 times | Joined on Aug 2012 @ Rhine
Originally Posted by andraeseus1 View Post
Sad to say I know exactly what my next phone will be because I ordered it already. I am not happy. It's not the answer to the n900. I would expect the answer to be and do everything the n900 does PLUS more. However, nokia has failed to provide this. So, now I have ot comprimise my wants with the sincere desire to have an u to date phone. I bought the n900 a week after it came out and have had it ever since. Going to miss this community. However, I can't afford to shell out more money on it. I have been through 3 n900 in the past based on the USB port issue. anyway with all that being said I am buying a nokia Lumia 920. Not cause I want to but because i think it would be the best for me.
or.... you could have been waiting, what Jolla will show up in 2 weeks....

Originally Posted by HELLASISGREECE View Post
L920?

that's a poor N900 replacement.
it would be kinda decent choise IF you were coming from an N8.

but from a N900...?

you should grab yourself a Motorola Droid 3/4 or ,even better, wait for Jolla's phone.
I would rather wait for the Jolla phone but Jolla is a new start up company. Before they make serious feature phones they have to establish a base and make money by sellign ot normal users. That means nothing truely high end probably for a few years. This is my speculation. I imagine they will make some awesome low end to mid rang phones fo r awhile untill they can afford to do the big boy phones or our society becomes more tech savvy and the damand is there for such a supply in regards to high end smart phones. Right now it's not. I am guesing we will see a lot of good stuff from Jolla. Just not any time in the near future that would interest a n900 user.

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
... with all that being said I am buying a nokia Lumia 920. Not cause I want to but because i think it would be the best for me.
If I may ask, why are you spending a bunch of money on a device you don't want?

Honestly, if you're just looking for build quality and great support, just skip the current generation of Nokia and go straight to Apple. The iPhone is built like a tank (the latest one seems to be the strongest yet), and the company will bend over backwards to fix any problems.

But yeah, if you're looking for a true successor to the N900, right now, there's nothing out there.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
If I may ask, why are you spending a bunch of money on a device you don't want?

Honestly, if you're just looking for build quality and great support, just skip the current generation of Nokia and go straight to Apple. The iPhone is built like a tank (the latest one seems to be the strongest yet), and the company will bend over backwards to fix any problems.

But yeah, if you're looking for a true successor to the N900, right now, there's nothing out there.
for one. I replace maybe 3 iphone 4 and 4s screens per week so they're not that tank like. Also, I have delt with apple customer support. I was recently tasked with integrating mac book pro retina displays into our active directory environment at work. It wasnt fun... anyway, there was a issue with some of the file shares and I reached out to apple. They were clueless. ofcourse they would claim it's because its a windows environment blaka blaka they can't really help cause it isn't mac. I ended up fixing the probon my own so... support not so much. Unless I want to know something simp0le like syncing with iTunes I don't think to much of their support. I think apple is a great phone for the average user. I am not the average user. I actually used ALL the bells and whistles the n900 was equipped with with to include some ameture pin testing. Apple UI is old to me. I want something new and innovative. I new way to interact with the device.. in fact a device that interacts with me. Nokia has always pushed that very same envelope so it seemed like the next logical step.

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
I actually used ALL the bells and whistles the n900 was equipped with with to include some ameture pin testing. Apple UI is old to me. I want something new and innovative. I new way to interact with the device.. in fact a device that interacts with me. Nokia has always pushed that very same envelope so it seemed like the next logical step.
But man, Nokia has dumped their entire software R&D infrastructure and picked up Microsoft's product. They have explicitly given up on "new and innovative", and are instead now doing what all the other big players are doing: attempting to grab a piece of Apple's pie.

I can't see any Windows Phone device pushing any envelopes any time soon...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post: