Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
It defintely sounds more like a hardware problem rather than software.

I completely agree.

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by ochrenaut View Post

Now that I have the "repaired" unit back in my possession, I will tell you all something that will make your hearts sink. I STILL CAN'T TURN MY TABLET BACK ON WHENEVER I WANT. They sent back the same unit, with notes that were not as detailed as I had expected. "Fault Information: NO PWR UP/DOWN / INTERMITTEN" and "Repair/Parts Used: Full Software Upgrade & Phone Reset"
I bought an HP media center laptop, not the cheapest one by any standard, sent it for repair after 'chatting' with the HP tech for hrs, it came back exactly like what you have, a note not quite clear what had been done, and the problem was solved upon initial reboot and that is all. The problem re-surfaced after a 2nd reboot and the problem persisted till today, which is almost 9 month into the ownership. Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Good luck for your next N810.

bun

I had a change of heart after finding out about shutdown -r now. It gets me past the power-on problem, which was the soft solution I've been seeking for the last month or so. I canceled the order I placed for a second n810, and plan to keep on playing with this one. I never shut this baby off anyway, so the power on issue only troubles me when I need to restart and it won't come back on. The ability to restart on demand is at least an order of magnitude better than the ability to turn off and then back on again. It is funny how tolerant we can be of fundamental tech problems as long as the overall experience with a device is awesome.

I installed Canola 2 today . . . BEAUTIFUL APP on a BEAUTIFUL TAB.

Two thumbs down to HP for sending your laptop back to you in the same condition you sent it to them.

Unfortunately that sounds typical of Nokia's repair "service". I had to send in a Communicator in FOUR times in succession until they relented to fix an obvious hardware fault. Each time the fault ticket notes made it clear that would not solve the issue, but every time it came back with some "fix" that was irrelevant to the reported symtoms.
I think the problem is that Nokia's fault logging system only caters for preselected conditions from drop down lists, so the whoever is creating the ticket has to select the nearest even it's nothing to do with the actual symptoms. To mae this worse, it's obvious the monkeys in the lab never read the notes ,or haven't the intelligence or motivation to do so. If they had, they would had done a first time fix on my phone's hinge, not reflashed the phone or replaced the keyboard. Instead it seems they just slap in whatever they feel like just to close the job and keep the "jobs per day" bean counters happy.
From my experience with 770 WSOD fault reporting, Nokia's logging system doesn't even understand what an Internet Tablet is (otherwise why do they insist on an IMEI), so the chances of it getting proper attention without multiple visits and escalations until you bust a blood vessel, are even less likely.

Last edited by Northerner; 2008-01-17 at 02:06.

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
Just posted a get around solution, hope this help, http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...362#post127362

__________________________________________________ ______
- xterm
- sudo gainroot
- shutdown -r now

you are back on without running the risk of this 'N8x0 power on/off enigma'.

.........Hey, some Linux guru, please can someone turn that into a small compiled program and I can put it in my home page of the iT, and I can just click on it whenever I need a reboot, please?

bun
Done.

I execute a small utility file from osso-statusbar-cpu, which allows one to put in some simple commands.

0) osso-xterm and becomeroot installed.

1) install osso-statusbar-cpu from debfarm, http://debfarm.free.fr, chinook, user or go www.gronmayer.com/it/ and search for it. You need to reboot to make it work

2) in the osso-statusbar-cpu icon>Settings...>Commands> New> Command: type this "/home/user/bb3.sh" (no quotation) and in the description, give it a name, I called it Bunreboot.

3) dl the bb3.txt and rename it bb3.sh and copy it to /home/user
4) chmod +x /home/user/bb3.sh
I do not know how to upload a .sh file . Hey you, stop laughing...
I hope changing the .sh to .txt and back to .sh will not disturb anything, or someone just have to teach me how to upload a .sh file.
Or, you can open the bb3.txt file and type in the code yourself.

This is a reboot, so save your work before reboot, unsaved work will be lost. From NOWON, just click Bunreboot ANYTIME you want to reboot.
bb3.sh should work for N810/N800/770 as long as you have osso-statusbar-cpu installed.

Enjoy,

bun

Post back if question. It works for me so far. Just for fun or revenge to the tablet, I have rebooted 10 times, work very well, only if some knows how to compile it into a .deb and put it on the desktop, that would be perfect.

bun
Attached Files
File Type: txt bb3.txt (127 Bytes, 176 views)

Last edited by bunanson; 2008-04-18 at 01:33.

The Following User Says Thank You to bunanson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
For anyone with this problem, Eero Tamminen from Nokia has just posted an update in the bug report confirming it is a software issue and will be fixed in future (hopefully in a few weeks).

> > Anyway, a cause for this bug has been found and a fix is in works.
> > AFAIK it will require updating the device bootloader (can be done
> > with flasher), but I don't know when the fix will be available.
>
> Great - so what is the advice for people with this problem?
>
> How best should they work around this problem until the fix is available?

There's no currently known workaround.

However, if you can reflash the device (can get the device to boot up, you've
taken backup and have nothing else that you would miss, battery is full etc)
with the latest N800 OS2007 or OS2008 release we would be interested about
whether that has any effect.

> Can you (or someone more familiar with the problem) provide more details other
> than good news (bug is identified) and bad news (but no ETA for a fix)?

The issue seems to be related to SW timings used in Omap initializations.
(that could explain why in some blog post it was claimed that freezing
the device helped i.e. that temperature could affect it.)

If everything works well, the fix could be available in a few weeks.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Milhouse For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
That's funny -- I never saw the freezing suggestion. I bet not many people tried keeping their tablet in the refrigerator...

Posts: 304 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ somewhere in the far south
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
For anyone with this problem, Eero Tamminen from Nokia has just posted an update in the bug report confirming it is a software issue and will be fixed in future (hopefully in a few weeks).
I'll be glad if Nokia can find a solution for this. But I can't be very optimistic. If the problem is software-related..why not all the units are affected? Have they different software? Why Nokia have exchanged faulty units and delivered exchange units that work fine? Why always they returned "serviced" units the problem persist? (All based on users comments).
In my particular case, I've the problem ALWAYS if I wait a time (let's say 30 min. or more) after turn the unit off and then try to turn it on. If I turn it off and immediately turn it on, the unit works fine. Could that be a software-related problem? Only the time could tell
Finally, I suggest all users reporting non affected units, to do the power on/off test turning they units off and wait an hour or more to turn the tablet on again (just to be sure)

Originally Posted by akd View Post
If the problem is software-related..why not all the units are affected? Have they different software?
If it is a timing problem, then it could be that the the timing values they use on specific chip initialization routines fall right on the edge of the chips tolerance levels. Therefore, some chips will have tolerances that fall on one side of the line, others that fall on the other side. That also explains why in some cases users have to leave the battery out for an extended time -- it gives the chips enough time to cool down, which puts them on the proper side of the tolerance line.