Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
You can stop with the arguments because the iPhone troll is right on that everything that can be done in software in the N9/00 _will_ eventually be able to be done on a iPhone. What the troll here does not realize is that it will NOT be able to be done EASILY.

On the N9 that I'm carrying on my left pocket I have installed some of the software that I use to help design one of the future microprocessors of certain "popular" chip maker company. (Obviously, I do not carry the real "input data" for the tool ).
Why am I doing this? Is it because it is useful? Not really; if anything, it is only useful to impress other people and at most keep myself entertained and doing some light work during the long tube commute.

I did it because I did not have to move a finger to build it for the N9. The tool built as-is, not a single line changed, and it run on the N9 without a single problem. Android? Forget about it. iOS? Even more. Just setting up an Xcode project would be already three times the effort I made to run it on the N9. It would not even run as-is on my beloved webOS.

But our iPhone troll here will never understand that.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 329 | Thanked: 422 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ derpton
Originally Posted by xxxxts View Post
"He never said that desktops transformed into laptops, those into smaller form factors, and so on." - I never did say that, I am using a desktop that has more cooling fans than I can count and 3 displays all with 1920x1200 resolution. However I am in the minority, I also own a Sony laptop, and I also own a Samsung UMPC Q1U.
The desktop is like your landline and the laptop is like your cell phone. A very good amount of people have ditched their landline because it is not needed anymore, the mobility of a cell phone is better. Hence development on landline phones came to a halt.
Thanks for clarifying this. I'm also with you, as I develop apps I need all the screen real estate I can get for all those IDE windows, and I couldn't move to a laptop for development. I don't think there will be anything better in the near future for my use case.

So right NOW that is the reality, what about in 4 years? As we speak most peoples cell phone HSDPA speeds are faster than their home internet connections. Technology is advancing and evolving in ways that are pretty unpredictable and it seems that the Maemo community (a Linux community) refuses to acknowledge this.
That is the gist of the whole issue. That's part of the reason I keep coming back, because it puzzles me how these people think, and fight tooth & nail against anyone who seemingly 'belittles' their beloved n900.

Now, onto the flamewar...

So right NOW that is the reality, what
about in 4 years? As we speak most peoples cell phone HSDPA speeds are faster than their home internet connections. Technology is advancing and evolving in ways that are pretty unpredictable and it seems that the Maemo community (a Linux community) refuses to acknowledge this.
You do not seem to realize that you are contradicting yourself. WE ARE the community that is trying to ditching the laptop and start using our mobile devices as replacements. We are doing REAL WORK on our mobile devices and thus we have HIGHER requirements from the operating system than the iOS boys, which are mostly happy with throwing birds from a slingshot onto pigs.

This is one of the reasons we CANNOT really even think about using the iPhone in a daily fashion.

YOU are the one who is refusing to acknowledge this. You will keep on depending on a computer, while we will eventually not as soon as the prices for "phone docks" get low enough.

iFile does everything midnight commander can do
metasploit can be had on the iPhone
Paros is comparable to wireshark on the iPhone.
photorec is on the iPhone
aircrack-ng is on the iPhone
and mplayer - really? The iPhone already has hundreds apps that handle media much more efficiently.
More trolling by our friend here. Have you even done the Google search yourself? Comparing iFile to MC is LAUGHABLE, considering that people TO THIS DAY still consider Windows Explorer not comparable to MC.

And having aircrack-ng, etc. on the iPhone is quite useless because the iPhone does not support monitor mode which is virtually essential for this kind of tools. And the iPhone might never get monitor mode or USB host.

But as I said, you might be able to plug one Wi-Fi sniffer to the propietary peripheral port. But I am not going to consider that as a "solution" because you might as well say that you can plug a full PC to the iPhone.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
He's saying that yesteryear there was an advantage of having a full desktop PC in your pocket, but now the hardware has gone far enough for the software to catch up. Now mobile Apps are powerful enough to compete with desktop ones, surely there's a few compromises but its true nonetheless. And that comparing those powerful mobile Apps, the experience, to a desktop App that's squeezed into a mobile device as tiny as the 3.5" N900 is laughable.
You are contradicting yourself: "Mobile apps are powerful enough to compete with desktop ones" vs "comparing those powerful mobile Apps, the experience, to a desktop App that's squeezed into a mobile device as tiny as the 3.5" N900 is laughable".

But, in my opinion, what is happening is the opposite trend. Mobile software is actually getting worse. And the reason is that I used to pay $100 for desktop software, while nowadays people expect to pay $10 _at most_ for mobile software, so the quality suffers.
Now, this would not be a problem if mobile software were to follow the traditional UNIX rule "do one thing and do it well", and "connect with other programs". Unfortunately, that is not the case, and actually NOT connecting with other programs is encouraged by MOST mobile platforms (e.g. iOS "jail").

So the end result is that we get CRAP programs that cannot really exchange information with anyone else. Not even the clipboard really works well for anything other than bare unformatted text.

In fact, this situation has deteriorated so quickly that these days I have to look up whether new mobile device X will have TRIVIAL features such as the ability to leave POP3 mail on the server. (E.g. see windows phone 7, 8, and even its "desktop" counterpart in Windows 8).

Now of course there is one thing that all those CRAP applications do well: serve ads.

</rant>

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
On the N9 that I'm carrying on my left pocket I have installed some of the software that I use to help design one of the future microprocessors of certain "popular" chip maker company. (Obviously, I do not carry the real "input data" for the tool ).
Why am I doing this? Is it because it is useful? Not really; if anything, it is only useful to impress other people and at most keep myself entertained and doing some light work during the long tube commute.
Actually this is similar to something I did a few weeks back. We have an in-house developed protocol tester that is used in R&D and CI verification that runs on linuxserver platform.

Just for the fun of it, and to impress my co-workers I built and ran it on the device, under easy debian.
You bet people were impressed
Granted it does not "quite" process as many frames/s as when running on big iron but it is usable as a demonstration device

Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
I did it because I did not have to move a finger to build it for the N9. The tool built as-is, not a single line changed, and it run on the N9 without a single problem. Android? Forget about it. iOS? Even more. Just setting up an Xcode project would be already three times the effort I made to run it on the N9. It would not even run as-is on my beloved webOS.

Granted I had to modify one function though... the original code uses inlined access to the TSA counter in pentiun CPU to do really critical timestamping, so I had to #ifdef that to use clock_gettime() on non-intel platforms.
However, that modification is now part of the official trunk code so it stands, I can get the source right from svn to the device, build and run it there without any tweaks.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 1,127 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Amsterdam
The problem is, I can't think of a scenario that this would ever be needed. If you were the most extreme coder in the world, that was your livelihood, you would be carrying around a bag with a full computer to work on and not tinkering with a device (while going blind).
You know, you sound exactly as some of the teachers I used to have at elementary school, that would not allow me to sit squatted on my chair with the argument they could not imagine anyone wanting to sit like that and hence sent me out of the classroom.

And to give you just one example of why my n900 is a fine machine: For my work (TD of a telecom company), during a board meeting, we were discussing the production costs of personalized audio messages on telecom products. At some point, I pulled out my phone to demonstrate the possibility of converting audio files on the fly by utilizing ffmpeg to create asterisk files. Simply using my terminal it took me a couple of minutes to create a personalized asterisk message from an audio recording I had taken during the meeting. I saved my own job during that meeting and saved the company a lot of money.

The Following User Says Thank You to anthonie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Call recording?
We know the iPhone can perfectly track your whereabouts for commercial purposes.

But can it record your incoming and outgoing phone calls transparently in the background?

I am just asking the iPhone expert - maybe meanwhile it can replace the N-it'snotaphone-900 / Symbian for that purpose.

The Following User Says Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
I think javispedro is wrong in most of his assertions, I think mobile application quality is great, on EVERY platform; Maemo, WebOS, Android, iOS.

You do not seem to realize that you are contradicting yourself. WE ARE the community that is trying to ditching the laptop and start using our mobile devices as replacements. We are doing REAL WORK on our mobile devices and thus we have HIGHER requirements from the operating system than the iOS boys, which are mostly happy with throwing birds from a slingshot onto pigs.

This is one of the reasons we CANNOT really even think about using the iPhone in a daily fashion.

YOU are the one who is refusing to acknowledge this. You will keep on depending on a computer, while we will eventually not as soon as the prices for "phone docks" get low enough.
A great deal of people have ditched their laptop/netbook for a tablet. iPad/Android. That's a fact, you can look at the market, you can see what people are buying and not buying.

The iPad/Android tablets are being used by MANY as replacements and doing real work already. You're trying to make it happen when it is already being done. iOS on the iPhone vs iPad is pretty much the same, only thing that has changed is form factor. No one is going to deny it is harder doing things on a smaller form factor.

My iPhone is coming VERY close to replacing my Samsung Q1U UMPC.

http://www.umpcportal.com/products/S...20Ultra/Q1U-XP

Speed: Check
Battery life: Check
Word processing: Check
Web Browsing: Check
Multimedia: Check
Connectivity: Check
Image Editing: Eh...
Video Editing: Better than my UMPC, but still eh...
Programming: No
File sharing: Yes/No - DropBox/iCloud = Yes, no SD = no

You seem to be almost devote in your praising for this platform. You can argue all you want that MC is the best in the world and nothing comes close, but when it really comes down to it, I don't know what you're talking about.

There's so many things you can attach to an iPhone that give it such a wider range of abilities, from processing credit card transactions to a Geiger counter. And the platform your using hasn't even accomplished spellcheck yet (one of my long running criticisms of Maemo 5).

I'm not telling you the iPhone is a better phone, I am not even going to make the claim that it is better for most people. I am just here to inform, compare, and contrast.

As for the store by anthonie - that was a good example. And once the meeting was over it only took you 10 min to open Fennec, go to Facebook, and post a status update (without spell check) about how good a job you did on that one occurrence. (I'm just messin' with you!)

I never attempted to record calls on my iPhone but from my quick Google search it appears to be possible.

Something I have noticed is that the questions being asked are, "Can X be done in THIS fashion?"

The Following User Says Thank You to xxxxts For This Useful Post:
Now that I think about it - Apple had the problem that Nokia is having now. It used to be that not a lot of people made applications for Mac. They went as far as to create a PC emulator and then they switched over to Intel's x86/x64. Now it seems that every mobile application out there is first made for iOS, then Android, maybe Windows Mobile, and most likely not Nokia.

Third party applications are really what matters, the ONLY application I ever paid for on the N900 was Kasvopus - it worked really well. But compared to the gasp official Facebook client, not so much.

The Following User Says Thank You to xxxxts For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 1,127 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Amsterdam
As for the store by anthonie - that was a good example. And once the meeting was over it only took you 10 min to open Fennec, go to Facebook, and post a status update (without spell check) about how good a job you did on that one occurrence. (I'm just messin' with you!)
You seem to have completely missed the point of what I was trying to say. It's not about competition or what device is best for whom. All I care about is what I need, what I need to get done and how I can best achieve that.

If I want to operate my N900 whilst standing on both my hands in upside-down position, so be it. If I feel my needs are best served by using a full fledged desktop application on my phone, than so be it.

You on the other hand, seem to have a pretty biased view on how, when and under what circumstances device x or y is to be used. And that's why you sound just like these silly teachers that couldn't deal with a little kid that preferred to sit differently on a chair than others.

So my final question ought to be; Are you a member of the smartphone-police and if so, can I see your badge?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to anthonie For This Useful Post:

Tags
bateman v nerds, clueless ii, iphone doucher, neckbeards pwnd