Originally Posted by akd View Post
I'll be glad if Nokia can find a solution for this. But I can't be very optimistic. If the problem is software-related..why not all the units are affected? Have they different software? Why Nokia have exchanged faulty units and delivered exchange units that work fine? Why always they returned "serviced" units the problem persist? (All based on users comments).
In my particular case, I've the problem ALWAYS if I wait a time (let's say 30 min. or more) after turn the unit off and then try to turn it on. If I turn it off and immediately turn it on, the unit works fine. Could that be a software-related problem? Only the time could tell
Finally, I suggest all users reporting non affected units, to do the power on/off test turning they units off and wait an hour or more to turn the tablet on again (just to be sure)
It was suggested that it's a timing problem in omap initialization. If there's some kind of race condition in the code, then it can be VERY timing sensitive, so speeding up or slowing down a component, even by tenths of microseconds (as would be the case with temperature changes) can make the problem appear or go away.

Race conditions are an easy mistake to make, and can be very hard to detect or identify. Once identified, they typically just require some extra protection in the software (usually some kind of synchronization object like a mutual exclusion lock (mutex)).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DataPath For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
ah... software AND hardware combined, along with environment. Probably explains why not everyone is encountering this. But I've been keeping my pre-production N810 fairly warm (I tend to use it here by the fireplace) and no issues with power. So it looks like my device can avoid the fridge.

Originally Posted by DataPath View Post
It was suggested that it's a timing problem in omap initialization. If there's some kind of race condition in the code, then it can be VERY timing sensitive, so speeding up or slowing down a component, even by tenths of microseconds (as would be the case with temperature changes) can make the problem appear or go away.

Race conditions are an easy mistake to make, and can be very hard to detect or identify. Once identified, they typically just require some extra protection in the software (usually some kind of synchronization object like a mutual exclusion lock (mutex)).
Fascinating...

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
For anyone with this problem, Eero Tamminen from Nokia has just posted an update in the bug report confirming it is a software issue and will be fixed in future (hopefully in a few weeks).

"There's no currently known workaround".
Yes, there is, a software boot, now even with a small utility program.

bun

The Following User Says Thank You to bunanson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 234 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Ive had my N800 from buy.com since mid November. I had no power on issues until the beginning of January. Once or twice I was able to reboot by removing the battery. The most recent time nothing seemed to work, long press the button... again after 3 minutes, removed the battery, again for 2 hrs for the drm (even put it in the fridge for this step), and then plugged it in waiting 12 hours for the charge icon. All with no luck.

The one thing my unit did that seems different from the power on enigma, is my screen wasn't blank. I would get the White Nokia screen like on normal startup, but no progress bar not even after hours. My question is, when people describe the power enigma the say the screen is blank. Is this the same enigma?

For what it's worth, the way I finally got it to boot was to re-flash. The wiki mentioned the flashing didn't fix the problem, but at least it let me boot up. I'll try the softboot method to avoid issues in the future.

It seems the power problem is practially solved, but I had my hunch that it had to do with some program I had installed, maybe VNC or weather.

Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
Yes, there is, a software boot, now even with a small utility program.
bun
odd, shutdown -r now, worked a few times but once only went to a black screen (with backlight). It finally shutdown by holding the power... I had to pull the battery to restart.

I'm curious; what is the difference between 'shutdown -r now' and 'reboot' ?

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by TheGogmagog View Post
odd, shutdown -r now, worked a few times but once only went to a black screen (with backlight). It finally shutdown by holding the power... I had to pull the battery to restart.

I'm curious; what is the difference between 'shutdown -r now' and 'reboot' ?
Blind leading blind......., i'll try.

Technically they are the same, both reset the system to power on status without the hassel of hardware power on, unless the tablet is frozen or in a twilight zone that cannot be brought back. I think the software reboot, which is equivalent to the "three finger salute" of the M$, CTRL-ALT-DEL, is actually missing from the power button menu, "Lock touch..., Offline mode, Lock Device, Switch off." I have added the little button on my screen and now I just click on it to have a reboot. I love it.

Oh, pls cast your vote on the power on/off pull, here, http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=15129. Thanks,

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2008-01-21 at 06:01.

Well from xterm 'reboot' command seems to do the same as 'shutdown -r now'. I wasn't sure if there was a significant difference, but reboot is shorter to peck out.

If post 186 is the instructions to create the reboot icon, I might just wait for it to be fixed.

So is the white Nokia screen the same issue, or do people usually get no response?

Posts: 101 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Greensboro, NC
Originally Posted by TheGogmagog View Post
So is the white Nokia screen the same issue, or do people usually get no response?
I too would like to know if this is it. I get the same power-up condition: white screen with "Nokia". After several minutes of this, I play with the power button and it'll finally continue with the progress bar at the bottom. If I don't intervene, it stays on that screen forever. I rarely turn it off, so it hasn't been a big problem for me.

Ugh, now my replacement N800 is having issues.

I left it on this morning with the battery indicator showing 5 days' usage left. It was untouched all day, and when I got home and checked it, the screen was black. I plugged in the charger, and got the white screen with the little green battery thing in the middle (no indication that it was actually charging). I hit the power button, and it powered up, BUT...the battery indicator is missing from the icons at the top right of the screen.

I left it plugged into the charger, held my breath, and turned it off using the power button. I turned it back on, same thing as above. I tried a search and did not find anything mentioning the battery indicator disappearing. Ideas? What the heck do I do with this thing now?

(Running OS2007, BTW.)