Notices

Originally Posted by MartinK View Post

If you use the default tile storage method ("files"), it should share map tiles with Mappero automatically. Of course Mappero only sees the layers it expect to exist, which are IIRC Google, Google Satelite & OSM Mapnik and maybe a few others. It won't see new layers added to modRana after Mappero development was discontinued, such as the Stamen Design layers, the OSM Public transport layer, etc.
Thanks for answering!

Hm, that does not seem to work. I have maps saved into .maps/GoogleVector/ but those are plain Google maps. Should not Modrana pick this up? (I have changed storage to files)

The Following User Says Thank You to sup For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Martin, is there any chance to merge your updates back into extras-devel? I get updates on other products, so there must be a way. I have added your repo to my list but I think such fragmentation is not good in the long term.

I upgraded to 0.38.1 last night and, on a whim, decided to do a big download. 160 km, all layers. It had done 37000 out of 1.4 million by the time I went to bed, so I let it work overnight. In the morning, I found a yellow pop-up saying that the operation was interrupted because of low memory. The phone was totally unresponsive. After 5 minutes of trying to coax it to react in any way, I gave up and pulled out the battery. After a reboot everything seems to work fine, only it took about 20 minutes to lock to the GPS signal. I would not blame modRana for that, I think it's simply the artifact of the GPS chip losing power. But the "low memory" error is a bit worrying.

On a personal note, I received your card a loooong time ago. I tried to PM you, did not get any error, but the PM did not appear in my "sent" folder so I assume it did not work. I did not have time to fiddle at the time and then... one thing led to another and I did not even realize how a month passed So... maybe a bit late, but thanks, it was very nice!

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by sup View Post
Thanks for answering!

Hm, that does not seem to work. I have maps saved into .maps/GoogleVector/ but those are plain Google maps. Should not Modrana pick this up? (I have changed storage to files)
Hmm, thats weird - I remember setting it according to how Mappero names its folders but now it looks like it actually uses another name.

ModRana expect the Google maps folder to be called:
Code:
.maps/Google Maps
So, I see 2 possibilities how to fix that:

Editing the /home/user/.modrana/map_config.conf file and changing the Google Maps entry from:
Code:
[[gmap]]
  label=Google maps
  url="http://mt1.google.com/vt/"
  type=png
  max_zoom=21
  min_zoom=0
  folder_prefix=Google Maps
  coordinates=google
  group="google"
Into:
Code:
[[gmap]]
  label=Google maps
  type=png
  max_zoom=21
  min_zoom=0
  folder_prefix=GoogleVector
  coordinates=google
  group="google"
You basically just need to change to folder prefix. After that modRana will look for Google map tiles in .maps/GoogleVector/.

Please note that this file might get replaced by newer revision if a newer revision is available during a modRana upgrade - the old one should be renamed, not completely vanish.

Or if you just want to reuse the Mappero tiles in modRana, sou can just rename the folder so that modRana can see it with the default Google maps path:
Code:
cd /home/user/MyDocs
mv .maps/GoogleVector/ .maps/Google\ Maps
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Martin, is there any chance to merge your updates back into extras-devel? I get updates on other products, so there must be a way. I have added your repo to my list but I think such fragmentation is not good in the long term.
The autobuilder is still broken - I've submitted a new package just this morning and nothing. The last successful build was 6.11. and since then it is broken. Nemein reportedly upgraded the Python version for some reason, which broke autobuilder. I really hope they get their act together soon as many users and developers are left out in the cold at the moment.

See these two threads for more info:
Extras-devel package import stuck ?
downloads from garage.maemo.org fail?

BTW, theoretically it would be possible to dput a modRana package directly to the repository. But the guidelines say that only non-free packages can do that.

I upgraded to 0.38.1 last night and, on a whim, decided to do a big download. 160 km, all layers. It had done 37000 out of 1.4 million by the time I went to bed, so I let it work overnight. In the morning, I found a yellow pop-up saying that the operation was interrupted because of low memory. The phone was totally unresponsive. After 5 minutes of trying to coax it to react in any way, I gave up and pulled out the battery. After a reboot everything seems to work fine, only it took about 20 minutes to lock to the GPS signal. I would not blame modRana for that, I think it's simply the artifact of the GPS chip losing power. But the "low memory" error is a bit worrying.
Hmm, that looks like a memory leak - I'll check out the code to see if I can find there does it originate from.
BTW, as it uses multiple threads & runs in the background it sometimes behaves in strange ways on Fremantle.

On a personal note, I received your card a loooong time ago. I tried to PM you, did not get any error, but the PM did not appear in my "sent" folder so I assume it did not work. I did not have time to fiddle at the time and then... one thing led to another and I did not even realize how a month passed So... maybe a bit late, but thanks, it was very nice!
Oh, I got your PM - but it looks like I forgot to to reply. Anyway, I'm really glad you got the postcard & like it!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Hmm, thats weird - I remember setting it according to how Mappero names its folders but now it looks like it actually uses another name.

ModRana expect the Google maps folder to be called:
Code:
.maps/Google Maps
So, I see 2 possibilities how to fix that:

Editing the /home/user/.modrana/map_config.conf file and changing the Google Maps entry from:
Code:
[[gmap]]
  label=Google maps
  type=png
  max_zoom=21
  min_zoom=0
  folder_prefix=Google Maps
  coordinates=google
  group="google"
Into:
Code:
[[gmap]]
  label=Google maps
  type=png
  max_zoom=21
  min_zoom=0
  folder_prefix=GoogleVector
  coordinates=google
  group="google"
You basically just need to change to folder prefix. After that modRana will look for Google map tiles in .maps/GoogleVector/.

Please note that this file might get replaced by newer revision if a newer revision is available during a modRana upgrade - the old one should be renamed, not completely vanish.

Or if you just want to reuse the Mappero tiles in modRana, sou can just rename the folder so that modRana can see it with the default Google maps path:
Code:
cd /home/user/MyDocs
mv .maps/GoogleVector/ .maps/Google\ Maps
Yeah, this works, thanks. Will you consider changing the name of of the folder in the next version or would that be too much trouble? It would be nice if it worked out of the box, but I can see that probably there are not that many people now who would use it.

The Following User Says Thank You to sup For This Useful Post:
Oh, I got your PM
That's weird, my Control Panel still says 0 sent messages

Never mind, as long as it's worked out in the end...

As an attempt to get back to the topic, I have a small suggestion. Though I suspect the implementation would be anything but small The idea is to save space by storing identical tiles and just cross-referencing them. Might be useful for those of us who live on an island: all ocean tiles are exactly identical.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
...a small suggestion. Though I suspect the implementation would be anything but small The idea is to save space by storing identical tiles and just cross-referencing them. Might be useful for those of us who live on an island: all ocean tiles are exactly identical.
Hmf... On the surface, the suggestion looks good. However, when deliberating on it, I decide that there are far too many blank spots on the map, and it would be much better to explore the ocean than to assume that it's the same everywhere. Exactly identical ocean tiles are boring. On the old maps of the times when Magellan and Vasco da Gama were sailing around the continents, in the Age of Discovery, many a sea serpent and beast were mapped. Currently, when wildlife is known much better - flying fishes, turtles, dolphins, whales, seals, sea snakes, eels, penguins and many others - they are not added to the maps, except, occasionally, tourist maps. Hence, boring ocean tiles.
Best wishes.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
I retract my suggestion. Wikiwide's argument is too compelling.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
As I'm currently busy with school related stuff, I'll get back to replying & generally back to working on modRana once school it is taken care of during this week.

Last edited by MartinK; 2012-12-10 at 17:42.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 387 | Thanked: 1,700 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Cambridge, MA, USA
When one downloads a large number of tiles, the download process pauses when the phone's backlight times out. It would be nice if that behavior were suppressed when a mass-download of tiles is taking place.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ken-Young For This Useful Post:
Can someone offer me some advide, as it seems that google-routing with addresses has ceased to work for me here in Finland. Couple of months ago I was able to use address to address routing online with Modrana, but now it does not work anymore. I tried purging modrana from my N900 and removed also opt/modrana/ and /home/user/.modrana , but the routning does not work. If I use point to point I can get directions as always, but the address routing just prints to console

tbt: error no route

I tried with different formats for the addresses and also only city names, but nothing seems to work. It looks like google has dropped Finland from its database?

Any ideas how to troubleshoot or get the errors more verbose?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kossuth For This Useful Post:

Tags
bada rox, martin_rocks, modrana, navigation, openstreetmap, the best, wehasgps