Active Topics

Posts: 11 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ontario
The is ui nice but i still prefer N9 or n900 ui. I wonder if it is possible to put the hildon ui.

Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by Daneel View Post
Widgets are a simpler form of Jolla's application covers, so the Jolla way of doing it is more powerful, more flexible and available for every application you have, not just a handful like on the N900 so most of the features you mentioned are/will probably be available on a Jolla device cause of application covers. RSS feeder? Just put the RSS feeder application on the homescreen.
It will depend on how flexible the API is. For example, I doubt kinetic scrolling will be possible because it would interfere with scrolling the task list. Also, it's not instantly available for all applications, since the application developer would need to implement it, just as with a widget.

My website

GitHub

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Widgets are a simpler form of Jolla's application covers, so the Jolla way of doing it is more powerful, more flexible and available for every application you have, not just a handful like on the N900 so most of the features you mentioned are/will probably be available on a Jolla device cause of application covers..
It's just the other way round. The application covers are a dumbed down version of widgets. They're less flexible, less powerful.

Application covers are all the same size. They cannot be tailored to their function. Same for the UI, you just can't implement something like, say, Symbian's favorite contacts widget with a Sailfish cover. Scrolling just won't work. All fixed size, fixed shape, reduced UI. I don't see the increased power and flexibility.

Also, the whole point of widgets is that they stay where you put them, that you use them to customize your desktop. The application covers come and go as you open and close applications, plus there seems to be a restriction of only 9 of them at the same time.

RSS feeder? Just put the RSS feeder application on the homescreen.
Sure. And if I'm lucky, I'll have fonts small enough to make the whole headlines visible on a 3x3 grid of covers, and large enough to make them still readable. Because you can't do what you would with a widget: make it wide. I'm not sure if auto-scrolling withing the cover will work (covers seemed to be pretty static in the videos) or if I could define a different URL to open in the browser for each headline right from the cover. (I understood that tapping on the cover just opens the program, no watter where you tap within the area... as long as you dont drag left or right.)

Their way of doing things is definitely fresh and new to me, […]

I think its still too early to tell whether Sailfish will or won't have some of the features you listed but it sure looks promising to me.
I think we agree on this paragraph. Promising, yes. I will miss the widgets, I will miss true multitasking, but I'll happily welcome a free OS. Fresh and new, yes... Just that you seem to assume that fresh and new is always good.

Posts: 896 | Thanked: 978 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Greece, Athens
Originally Posted by singh01 View Post
I wonder if it is possible to put the hildon ui.
closed source, belongs to Nokia. Never been done before. So it won't happen (Maemo 5 in Jolla device)

I would have been awesome though!

Originally Posted by HELLASISGREECE View Post
Never been done before. So it won't happen
See Cordia HD

Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Originally Posted by HELLASISGREECE View Post
closed source, belongs to Nokia.
The f***? It's open.

Even on Harmattan, at the very least system-ui and meegotouch-home are open too.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Hurrian View Post
The f***? It's open.

Even on Harmattan, at the very least system-ui and meegotouch-home are open too.
Hildon is open, Swipe UI is closed.

Posts: 278 | Thanked: 114 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ SD, CA
watching the extended sailfish intro at slush i thought
"Veronica and I trying this new fad called uh, jogging. I believe it's jogging or yogging. it might be a soft j. I'm not sure but apparently you just run for an extended period of time. It's supposed to be wild."
i believe jolla or yolla has a plan and china sure sounds like a good plan just not for me in the US.

Posts: 22 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Wisconsin
I like how the contacts and dialer are one app. Open contacts and hit dialer on the bottom bar and it just scrolls over the contacts and you have fast dailing as well. Why leave contacts and go to another app, this just seems like the way it should of been done all along.

I'm really excited to see what other UI changes we see to the little things. Meego was so well done and building on top of that has me really excited.

Posts: 896 | Thanked: 978 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Greece, Athens
Originally Posted by Hurrian View Post
The f***? It's open.

I meant Fremantle.. maemo5 as a whole.
cannot be ported to another device, can it?

Tags
dave ate sail, fishing jolla, n9 sailfish, nokia n950, sailfish, sailfish os, sailfish video, where?