Notices

Posts: 213 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Montreal, Canada
Greetings:

In every city there are hotspot networks.

It would be great to have a database of these hotspots on your N800. Whenever you want to know where the closest hotspot is just check your N800.
GPS directions could be intergrated into this application.

A splash image can show which hotspot network the user uses often.

It easier to check your N800 to look for a hotspot rather than turning on your laptop.

I hope some developer can make such an apps.

Regards Robert

The Following User Says Thank You to RobMtl007 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 50 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Melfa, VA, USA
that would be great! you could put it in a big poi file to run with meamo mapper. you would have to include places like fon, and other open access programs that have open wifi. I wonder if there is database somewhere out there.

The Following User Says Thank You to nrune For This Useful Post:
Posts: 213 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Montreal, Canada
Greetings Nrune:

Gee I haven't thought of that.

Tell me what type of file do I create for the Map apps that comes with 2008 OS.

Regards Robert

Ok, I can't offer something which deals with different hotspot networks, but if you're interested, I just posted my method to add FON POIs to maemo-mapper here:

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...51&postcount=4

I guess writing similar scripts for other networks can't be too difficult and some day one could integrate them into some python applet or even directly into maemo-mapper?

Posts: 833 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Based in the USA
Originally Posted by nrune View Post
that would be great! you could put it in a big poi file to run with meamo mapper. you would have to include places like fon, and other open access programs that have open wifi. I wonder if there is database somewhere out there.
Check:
http://www.gps-data-team.com/poi/uni...wifi_hotspots/

However what we REALLY need is an agressive app that:
Searches for hotspots
Immediately reports them back to a central database
constantly gets updates from that database
PLEASE use the Wiki

The Following User Says Thank You to gemniii42 For This Useful Post:
I don't like the word "aggressive" in there; it sounds like aggression would be targeted mainly toward your battery life. Also, "immediately" doesn't seem necessary; it can cache info until an internet connection becomes available.

If there are d-bus signals to trigger off of when the user initiates a scan for wireless, that would work nicely; it would be reasonable, too, if when the battery was charging, it was more active (especially if GPS is in use and charging; it sounds like someone driving with a car charger, and near-continuous scanning would be nice...), but I would not use such a program if it automatically searched when unpowered; my battery life is too precious, and I'm almost always plugged in when driving.

On the whole, though, the idea is definitely sound. For the data repository side, wigle already exists; I'd go with that, and work out some way of getting data from there into your mapping program of choice.

Posts: 833 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Based in the USA
Well I apologize for my terminology, but I like my data quick.
I'd like to be able to have the NIT discover them, report them (using them), and get updated lists downloaded automatically, and merged into the mapping program of my choice. The download of new should be based on a distance from where I'm at, rather than the entire world all the time. By aggressively I meant make it the default when the wireless and GPS are on and the GPS is showing that you are moving . I would not need it at home.
And I was only talking about hotspots i.e. those that "offer" a service, rather than my neighbor who does not know how to secure a network.
PLEASE use the Wiki