Originally Posted by DigiSage View Post
Lithium ion/polymer batteries do loose capacity at a faster rate if they are constantly "topped off", which is what happens when you leave the device plugged in for a long time. It charges to 100% and then stops. As soon as the battery goes to 99%, it starts again. This repetitve cycle from 99% to 100% is actually worse than, say, 80% to 100%. That said, the real-world impact is small. Rougly speaking, if a battery has a 3 year useable lifetime, it might diminish to 2.5.
Does the N8x0 leech battery life when the charger is plugged in?
Why shouldn't the n8x0 use the power from the charger?

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by kotzkind View Post
Does the N8x0 leech battery life when the charger is plugged in?
Why shouldn't the n8x0 use the power from the charger?
I going to guess it has to do with the way the power/charging circuits are setup. Try this out: plug the charger in, take out the battery.

A big capacitor to keep the device on for about 15 seconds during a battery change is one of my major requests for the N900. Most of the old iBooks and Powerbooks had this ability. Shut the lid, swap the battery, and open it back up—you'll still be up and read to go.

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
At worst, you're gonna drop $30 for a replacement battery a couple years down the road......

And because the NIT has a replaceable battery, this is actually a reasonable strategy.

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
A big capacitor to keep the device on for about 15 seconds during a battery change is one of my major requests for the N900. Most of the old iBooks and Powerbooks had this ability. Shut the lid, swap the battery, and open it back up—you'll still be up and read to go.
If I'm not mistaken the Dell Axim PDAs have a capacitor like you describe. My Sharp Zaurus PDA actually has a separate, small NiCd rechargable battery that keeps it going[*] for quite a while with the main lithium battery out.

Maybe an N900 could combine a capacitor with the newer Linux kernel's 'software suspend' mode or something, which might make it more feasible. Actually, it could be possible to just use a full suspend mode (=save RAM to card) and do without a capacitor, even..

[*] - as you may know, PDAs have their "filesystem" in volatile RAM (except the newest Palm models), so by 'going' I mean that it keeps the RAM (thus the PDAs content) alive, it can't run off it.