Active Topics

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by Leinad View Post
well, you can't say, prices in Europe are in middle-range or something like that... have you ever travelled from e.g. Slovakia to Iceland or Switzerland?
I've never been to Iceland or Switzerland but I often travel from the UK to Slovakia and have to say that the times when it made sense to go there shopping are long gone. Now Slovakia is more expensive even in absolute terms, and when factoring in average wages in the two countries, it comes out as at least twice as expensive as the UK.

Companies make prices, depending on how much they can get from people, low prices in US means US people are pretty broke (like the whole country), sadly nothing else...
Amen!

Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement

low prices?

Consider this, we as a species are currently using 150% of the worlds resources. That is, we need 1.5 earths to maintain what we have. We are literally borrowing from our sons that which is not ours to take. This coupled with the west's economic subjugation of the rest of the world means we can have whatever we want.

It will not last forever.

Originally Posted by switch-hitter View Post
I can give you a non-exhaustive list of why things are so expensive in the UK:

Import duties calculated as a percentage of cost of goods + freight.
High transportation costs as a result of exorbitant duties levied on diesel.
Exorbitant business rates charged on commercial premises by local authorities.
Exorbitant Employer's National Insurance calculated on the basis of each of your employee's salary.
Exorbitant Class 1A National Insurance on any 'perks' you provide for your employees.
Exorbitant rate of VAT charged on sales value.
Exorbitant Corporation Tax payable on company profits.

At the end of the day it all boils down to the huge state. Somebody has to pay for the thousands upon thousands of public sector boondogglers with their flexi-time and fancy pension schemes.

Research done in the UK showed public sector workers were paid 30% more than somebody doing a similar job in the private sector, they worked 9 years less and then headed off into retirement with a pension a private sector worker could only dream of.

On top of the plethora of exorbitant taxes required to maintain the lavish lifestyles of the bloated public sector the European private sector has other handicaps imposed that reduce efficiency such as:

Absurd employment law - employing someone seems almost akin to adopting them, it's hard to get rid of them even if they turn out to be a worthless, lazy bludger.

EU beaurocracy - EC Sales Lists, Intrastat, Triangulation, etc... (it's actually easier for me to deal with the Far East or the USA than it is other EU member states).
If you multiply this by 10 fold, you will find Brazil.

EDIT:

Except we don't really have any service back. Health, Education... nothing really works well around here.

Last edited by jotoco; 2012-12-21 at 14:01.

Originally Posted by switch-hitter
CBI-esque propaganda

Originally Posted by marxian View Post
No politics on TMO please.
You've quoted me as saying something I didn't say

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Originally Posted by jotoco View Post
If you multiply this by 10 fold, you will find Brazil.

EDIT:

Except we don't really have any service back. Health, Education... nothing really works well around here.
I love this game You multiply that 10 fold by another 10 fold and you get India

P.S. and whatever you don't have really working its 10 fold worse in India

Last edited by thedead1440; 2012-12-21 at 16:19.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by bandora View Post
Not necessarily, a company has the freedom to put in any price they like.. As long as there are different solutions for the consumer to choose from, otherwise it would be a monopoly...
I was being fully sarcastic.

Well, Americans will sue for damn near anything.

Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Well, Americans will sue for damn near anything.
Cool! Could you sue Lubeman f.e for disturbing our board aesthetics, per favore?

Edit: scrap that, "continued promotion of necroware" applies much better....

Last edited by don_falcone; 2012-12-21 at 17:32.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
No sue for you!

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Your post makes sense, why delete it? Only paragraphing is required [/QUOTE]

Paragraphing? Haha fine I'll make sure to indent properly next time, keep subjects and predicates in order as well as run the good old spell check

Tags
almost free, phones in us