Active Topics

Posts: 896 | Thanked: 978 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Greece, Athens
so.. the chances of seeing some qwerty device are... slim? (at best)

edit: It wouldn't make sense anyway... Sailfish is touch oriented. fully.
: (

Last edited by HELLASISGREECE; 2012-12-31 at 11:07.

Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
They said they'll start with a mass market device. There were rumprs of an exotic enthusiast device coming out, but those are just rumors.

Perhaps if Jolla doesn't come out with their keyboard phone some other OEM would do it.

And regarding whether or not it's a copy? Who cares? Does it actively try to imitate a specific mobile OS (see old Touchwiz versions vs. iOS)?

It doesn't. It takes concepts from other mobile OSes, but that's what all nee technologies do. Incremental improvement, much like how many browsers followed suit once one went tabs-on-top.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by HELLASISGREECE View Post

?? Being "touch oriented" doesn't mean users will not want to write text.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
Well, the openness of the UI is still a big question.

Other than that, things I would expect to be closed: audio/video codecs, some drivers, Chinese input methods, Flash (if available), that Android runtime and maybe some of the distinguishing Jolla made applications & maybe some third-party apps (official Twitter, Facebook, etc. apps).
They had already said they will license the OS too others. So the UI will not be fully open.

Just tell how they make money on the OS if fully open :O Not even Google do that and they main bussiness is not OS. In Jolla case mainbussiness IS the OS.

If you can deliver a solution for making money on fully open sourced OS you should send it too Jolla I am sure they are intrested in that.

Too many people has no bussiness perspective in this forum and thinks like childs of fanatic Rickard Stallman.

Ofcourse as much as possible shall be open but fully open is just a just as a wet teenage dream.

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2012-12-31 at 12:55.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
They had already said they will license the OS too others. So the UI will not be fully open.

Just tell how they make money on the OS if fully open :O Not even Google do that and they main bussiness is not OS. In Jolla case mainbussiness IS the OS.

If you can deliver a solution for making money on fully open sourced OS you should send it too Jolla I am sure they are intrested in that.

Too many people has no bussiness perspective in this forum and thinks like childs of fanatic Rickard Stallman.

Ofcourse as much as possible shall be open but fully open is just a just as a wet teenage dream.
They make the os fully open. Make money from devices, licences and third party apps. Operators and vendors will have to pay fro adjustments and configurations. Thye have patent the OS and the UI. Users can build on GUIs if they release without profit. The freedom openness will give them market share fast.YOU havent seen it before. Thats why its gonna work. Think bigger! Going in others footsteps will not get jolla anywhere. New models are needed!!!

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2012-12-31 at 13:06.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by HELLASISGREECE View Post

This has been said many times before, ofcourse not.

Main sell area for Jolla is China. AFAIK they are not using qwerty...

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Q1 tomorrow? SDK binarries...

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

They are running sailfish on N950 but they have never used the keyboard, not even once (I think). I agree with Hurrian here.

Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 710 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Beirut, Lebanon
Originally Posted by Akkumaru View Post
They are running sailfish on N950 but they have never used the keyboard, not even once (I think). I agree with Hurrian here.
True, they did not use the HW keyboard even once. But in the latest video of their Hands-on demo, they showed the on-screen keyboard (which looked fantastic). And they did not have any back button or anything, so am pretty sure it will come WITHOUT a hardware keyboard. But I am sure that you can get one and use it for the device (By bluetooth or such stuff..)

Originally Posted by Dave999
I will vote AMD for president next time if I'm having any shares during next meeting.

Do good for a human being and like my art page!

Posts: 273 | Thanked: 463 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Athens
Originally Posted by mariusmssj View Post
From comments on gsmarena, engadget and other places many people say it looks like copy android with a touch of Windows Phone and peeking from BB10.

I wonder will the final product be different from what we have been shown in these videos
That's because people there are f***tards

Tags
dave ate sail, fishing jolla, n9 sailfish, nokia n950, sailfish, sailfish os, sailfish video, where?