Active Topics

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Here is another nice read........with more details about what happened Pre-Elop........

http://taskumuro.com/artikkelit/the-...of-nokia-meego

Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
Another troll who doesnt know how to use Google....keep living in the Elop hate bubble......it will really help with your future endeavours.......
These people you're labeling as "trolls" are people that have one underlying statement that's universally true... you expect your next CEO to make better decisions than the one prior.

OPK was not the best thing for Nokia after Jorma Ollila, and Elop isn't the better decision maker after OPK. Under OPK (this is well-talked about around these parts) Maemo was under-funded at a time it should have been pushed forward. Those gaps are just now being filled with the phablets by Samsung (10 million sold for the Galaxy Note II), 7 inch tablets by Google and Apple, and a Linux based OS/ecosystem/development environment like a lot of the competition that before just didn't exist before Maemo on a commercial scale.

You say troll. I see Nokia loyalists that wanted Elop to continue down a path that could have been corrected but wasn't. It was ignored. And thus left to die. Jolla, BB10, Mer, Nemo, Tizen (indirectly) and quite a few others are all benefitting from Elop ignoring Maemo. Sad when it could have been Nokia benefitting from that.

CEO's should make long-standing decisions that help the company. Sub-4.00 stock isn't a long-standing helpful position for Nokia.

I am a Nokia lover
You're more like an ignorant Nokia tool.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by uTMY View Post
It's only "too competitive" if you base your product strategy around something that doesn't put customers first.

"Once bitten twice shy" exists as a saying for a reason.

Microsoft have bitten their customers far to often in every area of technology to be relevant any longer and only the blind sheeples remain behind.

This much is obvious.

rgds
This! This is EXACTLY right.

For years I kept trying to hammer in the point that Nokia wasn't taking care of customers, too. Between intentionally designing open-core software with intentional obsolescence to make sure you bought the newer device just to get the next OS and software support, all the way to neglecting to have physical presence (even at least kiosks) in stores so people can return defective products for immediate replacement without shipping off their device for who-knows-how-long and possibly not even getting the same MODEL of device back (surprise!). The LEAST they could have done is make replacement parts available--even the STYLUS for these things weren't available as replacements! That could have been an EASY way go get revenue that customers won't mind paying for. Idiots. It doesn't seem like the contemptuous attitude toward customers at Nokia have changed, despite the new CEO.

Even at their worst, most other manufacturers have far surprised Nokia in every way, including all of the elements I've pointed out--far, far better support has been had by me and people around me from ANYONE else since switching to Android: Verizon, Amazon, Motorola, Samsung, Asus, etc. This goes a long way.

The point about Microsoft that is important to note, as well, is that Microsoft's domination in the 90's was a result of locking in customers into their ecosystem while trying not to be obvious about it, generally. Apple's been trying to do the same but far less clandestine about it. Thankfully, Google doesn't lock you in at all and welcomes you to leave anytime you please and lets you export your information to take with you and provides a fully-operational open-source version of their platform without the horrible crippling that Nokia made sure Maemo had.

Microsoft is rapidly losing its hold on the market-share now.
http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2012/10/...s-8-forrester/

And Apple is described as 'seething' that people are replacing their own first-party apps on iPhones with Google's own software:
http://www.businessinsider.com/googl...orking-2012-12

There's something to be said for listening to customers and giving them what they want. If Nokia wants to rise back up to relevance and success, it needs to stop pretending it knows what the customer wants and only needs to do the barest legal minimum to support the people who paid money for their products and services. That was never good enough. Nokia's original success was based on making what consumers wanted and then they eventually got too big and arrogant and lost their way.

The Lumia phones aren't impressing anybody and they STILL haven't managed to make themselves stand out from any other phone manufacturer. The CEO is a self-destructive idiot (I've long suspected that he might very well be clinically stupid... go on, ask me how! I'll LOVE to explain why I think so based on his record) that Osbourned his company out of the top-spot and very nearly into the bottom spot in the course of more than a year, just less than two). Nokia STOPPED doing anything that could possibly make them unique in any way (Maemo, MeeGo, Symbian, etc.)--even Samsung makes a pretty big deal of TouchWiz on Android and even has their own whole Bada platform which, appropriately, is STILL outselling Nokia's current offerings despite these silly recent articles about how the Lumias are selling out. Not to mention the release of control ALTOGETHER over the OS that runs on their own devices. Even the Android-based phones can choose how they want their device to run/look (once again, let's talk Samsung's TouchWiz or even more impressively, the entire Samsung Galaxy S3's extensive features) and have every opportunity for improving the OS. I'm pretty certain that even Microsoft's deal with Nokia on customization doesn't go THAT far--at least it certainly hasn't turned out that way. The list goes on.

Here's an important question Nokia or anybody that likes the company should answer:
Is there something Nokia is better at doing than any other cell phone manufacturer anymore in 2013? I'm genuinely, objectively curious.

Ultimately, I no longer care if they die out--there are other companies out there doing what I had wanted Nokia to do when Nokia was ahead of the game and they ignored us. It's just business and I'm voting with my dollars. It's a shame and many missed opportunities that Nokia didn't even bother to try to pay attention to opinions and campaign for our free-market votes. Let's see if they'll even try before they disappear or get swallowed up.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Pfft... Lumiaman has switched tactics. WP9 will be the turnaround for Windows Phone and Nokia. Only odd numbers are successful for Microsoft. Windows 95, Windows XP (2003), Windows 7, Windows Phone 9.

Just wait for it... wait for it.
You made one error... NONE of the successes were ever a mobile OS (noticed you mentioned Windows 7, but not Windows Phone 7).

Speaking of historical:

There are plenty of links all over the universe from ex Symbian and ex Meego people documenting the fall of Nokia prior to ELOP. So stop blaming ELOP and stop the per-ELOP nostalgia.
But with so many to choose from you couldn't find one to citation your points, and then criticized someone else for it? That's irony.

Another troll who doesnt know how to use Google....keep living in the Elop hate bubble......it will really help with your future endeavours.......
The irony continues. After complaining that they didn't provide any links, you replied to a post that included a link with a long, long rant that lacked a single reference to anything you rambled on about. I'll concede that you're not a troll, you're simply flaim-baiting.

Originally Posted by daperl View Post
You're more like an ignorant Nokia tool.
Oh man! Do you remember that time when there was a genuine attempt here to try to recruit him to promote Lumia and how that horribly backfired and they stepped away carefully?
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Oh man! Do you remember that time when there was a genuine attempt here to try to recruit him to promote Lumia and how that horribly backfired and they stepped away carefully?
When was this?

When was this?
Dumbramos on drugs again

When was this?
IIRC this was Quims proposal in the old Lets Talk Nokia Stock thread.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by MINKIN2 View Post
IIRC this was Quims proposal in the old Lets Talk Nokia Stock thread.
Oh, I remember that thread. That was a great thread indeed.

Nokia doing good today! The markets liked that Obama & Co manged to work toghter with the other side of the fence and push the crises a few months. I think 2013 will be an even better year at the stock market than 2012 if that is possible. great start!

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2013-01-02 at 12:55.

These people you're labeling as "trolls" are people that have one underlying statement that's universally true... you expect your next CEO to make better decisions than the one prior.

OPK was not the best thing for Nokia after Jorma Ollila, and Elop isn't the better decision maker after OPK. Under OPK (this is well-talked about around these parts) Maemo was under-funded at a time it should have been pushed forward. Those gaps are just now being filled with the phablets by Samsung (10 million sold for the Galaxy Note II), 7 inch tablets by Google and Apple, and a Linux based OS/ecosystem/development environment like a lot of the competition that before just didn't exist before Maemo on a commercial scale.

You say troll. I see Nokia loyalists that wanted Elop to continue down a path that could have been corrected but wasn't. It was ignored. And thus left to die. Jolla, BB10, Mer, Nemo, Tizen (indirectly) and quite a few others are all benefitting from Elop ignoring Maemo. Sad when it could have been Nokia benefitting from that.

CEO's should make long-standing decisions that help the company. Sub-4.00 stock isn't a long-standing helpful position for Nokia.
Read the links above. it is a huge assumption that paths chosen pre-Elop could have been corrected. As many know, Nokia was focused more on hardware than seamless software. As a CEO, trying to make quick turnaround, would you want to work with a team that had Harmattan on the table since 2008???? We dont know the human resources issues at NOKIA and how dysfunctional they were, but everything points to a HUGE dysfunction and inability to deliver what iOS and Android did for masses: a smooth and versatile experience. N8, N9 and N900 were all beta OSes that sucked for the masses. And as mentioned above, NOKIA was never a good software company. They were not then, they were not now. They could not produce well integrated user experiences, hence their own attempts died out.

So Elop chose to outsource software to a software company, MS. Made sense then, perhaps makes sense in the future, only time will tell. Blaming everything on Elop is highly myopic, and clearly the board knows this, hence he is still employed.

Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Harhar, new year same old sh*te. You guys never stop.... At least Dan's still around, that's good. And Gerbick. Keep it up; i don't want to be the only one imprisoned with the same insane Lubethingy.

Tags
bring me beer, downward spiral, elop is nero, let's talk bs, lumiadickweed, lumiatard, nero fiddling, nokia bears, nokiastockrock, thanks for asha