Active Topics

Hello,

This seems to be THE lplace for N800 power users, so I figured I'd drop in

I received my N800 tablet about 3 weeks ago. I really like the product, with the following gripes:

1-It seems to be aggressive on the auto shut-off. I figured it would wake-up when someone sends me a message in Pidgin (great messenger btw), but screen stays dark. I figure this is an easy config thing...

2-The mystery file save location. I now have a 2 gb card in the external slot (housing some mp3s), and 8 gb in the internal (for stuff, maps etc.)
Problem is when I install apps in the application manager, they seem to want to go into the internal memory, which is running quite low. Will the N800 know to switch to my internal 8gb card when the internal base memory is full?

3-I am really hoping for thorough a2dp support. I have a HBH-DS220 headset on order and would really like to have wireless stereo.

4- I really need a bluetooth keyboard to make the device more useful. I am looking at either the I-tech laser keyboard (great geek appeal, super compact, but worried about the 2 h battery life) or the I-Go stowaway (the sensible alternative, although I don't know what the battery life is...) Any insights on what you are currently using appreciated.

5- I really hate the camera. Not only because it is a blurry POS, but it actually keeps me from using my device for work (we have a strict no camera policy). Is there any way to remove the camera from the device?
I would even consider permanent, CMOS sensor removal surgery. I don't think I will be using the camera anytime soon anyway.

That's about it. I actually got the N800 by returning a Tom Tom gps receiver and using the money to buy the tablet. I really got a whole lot more from the deal And with my I-blue 737 receiver I got for 60$, i'm not missing too much from the gps side

Any mods/software you have made to your N800 to make it more usable are appreciated.

MT

Posts: 472 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Texas
Welcome to InternetTabletTalk and the N800. You've certainly got a great tool, and you can do nearly anything you can think of (related to the internet) with it.

I'll answer what I can and let others fill in the blanks:

1. I don't use Pidgin so I can't help you. A future update (it's currently available as somewhat of a hack) will include native support for all of the IM clients (MSN, AIM, etc)

2. Again, not sure. I don't know that I've filled mine up yet, but certainly keep us posted.

3. As long as you have OS2008 installed, you've got A2DP support built-in. To check the OS version, you can go to Settings - Control Panel - About and it'll let you know what version. The latest is OS2008 50-2. You can go to http://www.nokiahowto.com/A4410958 to learn how to update with Windows or Linux.

4. I have the iGo and it's completely phenomenal. There's tons of hotkeys, and you can customise these through the Internet Tablet's control panel. Amazon has them for under $100 (I got mine for $30, but the last I saw on Amazon it was up to $60, still a great deal). The key spacing is the same as a laptop keyboard, so it's very comfortable.

5. The N800 camera just pops in and out, couldn't you keep it popped in, or do they do thorough inspections? I would imagine you could do some sort of surgery to disable the pop-out feature, and therefore disable it.

Congrats on your new find. You should definitely explore the Tableteer site, there's some links to great software on there, and you've found a great resource here.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by rcadden View Post
2. Again, not sure. I don't know that I've filled mine up yet, but certainly keep us posted.
No, it will not overflow to the cards. Just delete some of the crap off the internal flash (manual PDFs, videos, music, etc.) and you'll be set.

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
No, it will not overflow to the cards. Just delete some of the crap off the internal flash (manual PDFs, videos, music, etc.) and you'll be set.
Good call. Those manual PDFs (found in the Documents folder) take up a TON of space, and are in every language, so you really only need one of them, if that.

Alright, deleted the pdf files, and the cheesy video and pictures. Still, I'm only at 100mb available...my sd card still has 6 gb...

As an aside, is there any way to get any music player to respect the folders I placed my music in? They all seem to want to group them by genre artist or some other weird setup. I really don't want to have to create playlists for all of them, I already separated them the way I want... The inertial scroller in Kagu is pretty cool. Anyway to make it play the music in the actual folders they are in? I ran the Kagu music scanner, I figure this did not help...

so cellphones aren't allowed in your company either? who do you work for, nasa?

Posts: 832 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Phoenix, AZ
Actually OS2008 is "headset" not "A2DP." The feature request is there but you won't get real stereo sound out of the headset. Yet.

Third party media players have included A2DP support, though.

Originally Posted by thoughtfix View Post
Actually OS2008 is "headset" not "A2DP." The feature request is there but you won't get real stereo sound out of the headset. Yet.

Third party media players have included A2DP support, though.
I stand corrected, thanks Dan.

Originally Posted by fretwire View Post
so cellphones aren't allowed in your company either? who do you work for, nasa?
Where I work, we can't have cell phones, cordless phones, wireless network connectivity, laptops, PDAs, USB devices of any sort (to include thumb drives), cameras, or any other Personal Electronic Device. There is even talk of getting rid of key fobs.

It's going to become more and more common.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I think that companies are going to have a hard time getting and keeping the best employees with such policies. I would accept such a job, but my marginal propensity to quit would be high.