Posts: 896 | Thanked: 978 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Greece, Athens
Originally Posted by herpderp View Post
Hate to break the circlejerk with facts, but ctrl+A and ctrl+Z works in all textboxes (and other selectable areas) in Android. Many other keyboard shortcuts work as well (alt-tab, etc).

Source: I'm owning a Transformer Prime with a keyboard dock.
Let's not forget that the N900's key shortcuts support zooming in and out (everywhere you are), they also take screenshots instantly, rotate the screen, open programs (i.e. xterminal , opera), they open the multitasking view and do many many usefull things.

The Following User Says Thank You to HELLASISGREECE For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
For those of you concerned about multitasking on android you might consider watching the following...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1ZSr...ature=youtu.be

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
For those of you concerned about multitasking on android you might consider watching the following...

yeah a long video of apps being resized does not equal great multitasking. I have a friend with a galaxy tab 10.1 I think, with that feature. Here is the problem, those apps are not running at the same time. You use one, while you can look at the other, then touch the other.........lag as android switches resorces........failure. On my n900 the apps that were in the background are not frozen, they are active, if you had a n900 with a screen that size you could do way more. Its cool for glancealbe info, kinda, but not well implemented and missing the functionality that makes it worth doing it.

and yes videos can play while you use another app, thats one thing that they wrote code for, not universal for real true multitasking, like i can in my desktop.

Last edited by waldo; 2013-01-07 at 17:53.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to waldo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by waldo View Post
yeah a long video of apps being resized does not equal great multitasking. I have a friend with a galaxy tab 10.1 I think, with that feature. Here is the problem, those apps are not running at the same time. You use one, while you can look at the other, then touch the other.........lag as android switches resorces........failure. On my n900 the apps that were in the background are not frozen, they are active, if you had a n900 with a screen that size you could do way more. Its cool for glancealbe info, kinda, but not well implemented and missing the functionality that makes it worth doing it.

and yes videos can play while you use another app, thats one thing that they wrote code for, not universal for real true multitasking, like i can in my desktop.
I much prefer Sony's "small apps" solution. They even released a SDK for it, but developers don't seem to support these ideas...

If Android had multi-task I would have switched to it years ago, right at the start.

Last edited by jotoco; 2013-01-07 at 18:29.

The Following User Says Thank You to jotoco For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mscion View Post

This is the thing that I'm trying to get accross to my brother, but I'm just smacking my head against a brick wall.

I am now sitting and watching my N900 "MULTITASK", that is having 2 apps on screen at the same time both "DOING SOMETHING" in unison.
I have Open Mediaplayer playing a music video and I also have Stellarium running, which is running through an accelerated day/night cycle. Both apps are minimized and I can see both thumbnails with the video still playing and Stellarium is smoothly transiting between its day/night cycles. I go back to the homescreen and the video is still playing. I then open the keypad and press "Ctrl+ the left and right arrow keys" (Taskswitcher) and it switches smoothly between OMP and Stellarium (still doing it's day/night thing) with no pauses in either app. Oh and while I was at my homescreen Desktop Photo Applet was smoothly going through it's transitions and one of the images that came up was the video that was playing.

Has anyone ever seen an Android device do that?

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to stickymick For This Useful Post:
Posts: 198 | Thanked: 130 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ Pakistan
I have had my time with Android. I have used SE Xperia Arc, Samsung Galaxy S2. And currently having an N9 (Wonderful Experience)

But it just doesn't feel right. My room-mate has a SGS 2 and in spite of having a Dual-Core processor, feels like lagging :/ . Powerful processors aren't used effectively I reckon. Might as well provide a reactor to Android, I doubt it will be effective.
Apps and ecosystem are exceptions.

Bottomline, just doesn't feel right.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to khan.orak For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by stickymick View Post
This is the thing that I'm trying to get accross to my brother, but I'm just smacking my head against a brick wall.

I am now sitting and watching my N900 "MULTITASK", that is having 2 apps on screen at the same time both "DOING SOMETHING" in unison.
I have Open Mediaplayer playing a music video and I also have Stellarium running, which is running through an accelerated day/night cycle. Both apps are minimized and I can see both thumbnails with the video still playing and Stellarium is smoothly transiting between its day/night cycles. I go back to the homescreen and the video is still playing. I then open the keypad and press "Ctrl+ the left and right arrow keys" (Taskswitcher) and it switches smoothly between OMP and Stellarium (still doing it's day/night thing) with no pauses in either app. Oh and while I was at my homescreen Desktop Photo Applet was smoothly going through it's transitions and one of the images that came up was the video that was playing.

Has anyone ever seen an Android device do that?
I know the feeling...

I miss both my n900 and my 808 capabilities on Android. I have an Android tablet, but it is frustrating having to reload pages, videos, documents if you switch between apps....

WHY THE HELL DO I HAVE A GIG OF RAM IF NOT TO LET THINGS STAY ON IT WHILE I DO OTHER THINGS, DAMMIT!

It makes things sluggish, I think it spends MORE battery (having to access the internet/process everything again), and it just feel stupid and wrong.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jotoco For This Useful Post:
Posts: 435 | Thanked: 684 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Netherlands 020
Buying an Android device to do laptop things would be a waste of money it's be better to buy a N9/N900 and dualboot Nitdroid into it to do Android stuff.
If you don't like advertising on your cellphone just buy John's phone.

The Following User Says Thank You to jellyroll For This Useful Post:
Aside from the multi tasking, the thing that i keep putting my android down for is the UI seems to be made for using 2 handed, the holo themed apps everyone is raving about are horribly designed. Here is why, android phones keep getting bigger, google knows this since their own nexus devices are 4.7". You have your android controls on bottom, and toolbars on top....... Why, every other mobile platform puts toolbars on bottom. so you can use it all one handed. On my one x in pocket for example, if i want to mark something as read I have to reach the top of the screen, then to go back reach all the way to the bottom to go back. Similar things in the music player, etc, app tray, etc..... Its all over. And that is the new "great" design language that all the tech sites keep saying is so great and amazing. i think its designed to make the phone harder to use, making something harder to use is not better, its worse.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to waldo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 435 | Thanked: 684 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Netherlands 020
Originally Posted by waldo View Post
Aside from the multi tasking, the thing that i keep putting my android down for is the UI seems to be made for using 2 handed, the holo themed apps everyone is raving about are horribly designed. Here is why, android phones keep getting bigger, google knows this since their own nexus devices are 4.7". You have your android controls on bottom, and toolbars on top....... Why, every other mobile platform puts toolbars on bottom. so you can use it all one handed. On my one x in pocket for example, if i want to mark something as read I have to reach the top of the screen, then to go back reach all the way to the bottom to go back. Similar things in the music player, etc, app tray, etc..... Its all over. And that is the new "great" design language that all the tech sites keep saying is so great and amazing. i think its designed to make the phone harder to use, making something harder to use is not better, its worse.
Waldo,

quit using alcohol...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jellyroll For This Useful Post:

Tags
bloatedswisbad!