Hi all,

I have this weird problem. My N900 only boots up and works when the charger is plugged, and when I unplug the charger (either from the wall or the usb port) the unit freezes usually with some glitch on the screen then turns off in a few seconds. When I try to turn it on again the first nokia screen comes up with the white led on the corner for a few seconds and then goes dead. Most of the time, random lines appear on this first nokia screen. After removing and reinstalling the battery and plugging the charger, the unit boots up normally until I unplug the cable.

I assume this may be a hardware issue, maybe a short circuit??

Please advise if you would have any ideas.

Below is some history of the unit for the interested:

This was not working for a long time because of the broken usb port and booting up so many times with a nearly flat battery. A friend got the port fixed for me some time ago and i tried to flash the device with 38.1 COMBINED MR0 and 13.2 VANILLA MR0 images (checked for md5sums) with a macbook with 64bit win7 and could only upload the 38.1 COMBINED with the help of libusb fix. And then retried with a notebook with some xp and vanilla image got stuck on 20% in the beginning, but after changing the usb port on the notebook I could flash the device normally. (I am writing this if someone ever gets stuck at this same point, and I have seen some other post somewhere with someone getting stuck right at this point.) that was when I realized that the unit stopped working when I unplugged the cable, or cut the power feed. Reflashing twice more did not help.

I know that my batteries are charged well, because N900 charges them without problem and I also have an external charger to confirm this.

I am not sure about the quality of the port fix and I was thinking if there could be a short circuit where the unit would lose the output of the battery but could cope with the higher output of the charger?? I don't actually know if this is technically possible. If I am not wrong, the unit also worked when connected to the pc.

Any help or idea would do great.

Thank you for your time and contribution.

The Following User Says Thank You to Groovebox For This Useful Post:
Posts: 102 | Thanked: 140 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Israel
Go to a nearby store and try a replacement battery, that way you can tell whether the unit or the battery is defective.

The Following User Says Thank You to NiQ For This Useful Post:
i think its battery's fault, you can try a battery from your friends mobile may it help

The Following User Says Thank You to sunyakram For This Useful Post:
Install bnf or better download bq27200.sh.
Type in terminal as a root: stop bme and bq27200.sh 1, then unplug charger and check the voltage. Maybe the voltage is too low.

The Following User Says Thank You to elros34 For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the replies.

I am about sure it is not about the battery, because I have three batteries, and two of them are brand new...