Poll: Next phone after Nokia N9
Poll Options
Next phone after Nokia N9

Posts: 594 | Thanked: 1,094 times | Joined on Aug 2012 @ Rhine
Mine died just 15 minutes ago!
I hate Gorilla Glass now! Such **** never happened few years ago...

The Following User Says Thank You to Leinad For This Useful Post:
Ok, problem solved, ordered new N9 64GB black from amazon.com, will be here tomorrow or the day after...

How does Nokia handle screen-repair in countries N9 is not officially supported?

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Leinad View Post
How does Nokia handle screen-repair in countries N9 is not officially supported?
They don't. People have been repairing their own broken screens.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Thanks gerbick, i did not think, that this is so easy.

Quick update:
found a youtube-video, how to replace the screen, cancelled my order on amazon, found a new screen on ebay for 50€, so hopefully my replacement for my dead N9 will be my reborn N9 in a few days

In the meantime it's fun to use good old N900 again...

Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Quick reply...
Of the choices offered in the poll, voting for Lumia 920. Why?
First, brand loyalty.
Second, inductive charging, 32 GB internal storage and not bad camera (though Galaxy S3 comes close).
Third, thick and heavy phone - hopefully, it will not be easy to break.
Fourth, 4G (just kidding; Nexus 4 has it, too).
Fifth, if Sailfish can be run on any telephone, then it can be run on Lumia 920, too. Imagine, replacing Microsoft OS with Sailfish...
Best wishes.

I agree that between the 920 and the SIII/NoteII, the 920 feels sturdier.

The Following User Says Thank You to volt For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
Fifth, if Sailfish can be run on any telephone, then it can be run on Lumia 920, too. Imagine, replacing Microsoft OS with Sailfish...
I'm sorry to disappoint you here, but it has no maning in this context that "sailfish can be made to run on any device".
That sentence is propably true, as well as saying that "maemo can be made to run on any device" or "symbian s60 can be made to run on any device"

Of course they can, but that means that can be done by the makers of the devices, and without their help/active participation just next to nobody.

The problem is the closed HW, closed drivers, closed firmware for all functionalities. On top of that even the boot loaders are secured against runnig unsigned images.

It is fairly simple to get just the linux kernel running on any device, as long as the base cpu architecture is supported. For example the boot loading problem can be solved at least two ways, either finding a security flaw in the existing OS to inject own boot code into the ring 0 executor or by using JTAG to program the device flash.

But that's just the kernel, can't do much with that yet;
  • Run a serial console on it? Yes, propably.
  • Run network console on it? Propably not.
  • Display something on the screen? Fairly impossible.
  • Use GSM/GPRS/3G/4G networking? Totally impossible.

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Update: Nokia refused to refund me. They took my 64 GB N9 and gave me a 16 GB one. It works, but it is not what I paid for. I am not a fan of Nokia's service any more (and that would be a massive understatement).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rahulthewall For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
rahulthewall,

Shouldn't there be some consumer law which protects you from having to accept an inferior product from Nokia?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 308 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Graveyard
Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
rahulthewall,

Shouldn't there be some consumer law which protects you from having to accept an inferior product from Nokia?
Nokia might even consider Lumia 800 a superior product and what if they are ready to replace his 16 GB N9 with it?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ranbaxy For This Useful Post: