Active Topics

Posts: 236 | Thanked: 223 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ switzerland
I believe if you have trouble it is because the card formatting went wrong, then when you copied old files, they kept permissions, but they shouldn't have, so this is not going anywhere, you should reformat it properly.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mitrigol For This Useful Post:
Posts: 387 | Thanked: 1,700 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Cambridge, MA, USA
Originally Posted by macey View Post
I have a 64GB SDXC card working ok on my N900. Just ignore "unsupported card" message & format as normal.

Total memory 90GB+!! Great.
More usable space than a Microsoft Surface Pro!

The Following User Says Thank You to Ken-Young For This Useful Post:
Posts: 569 | Thanked: 462 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by Mitrigol View Post
why dont' use sfdisk to set partition as FAT32 (type c) and use mkfs.vfat to format?

i did this and have absolutely no issue with it, in linux or windows

edit: And i did all of this on the device itself.
I am not advanced enough to know how to use sfdisk & mkfs.vfat !

Originally Posted by Mitrigol
I believe if you have trouble it is because the card formatting went wrong, then when you copied old files, they kept permissions, but they shouldn't have, so this is not going anywhere, you should reformat it properly.
That fixed it, thank you. Since after formatting the card on the Windows box made it visible to the N900, even though it had problems, it was possible to use the format function in the N900 File Manager to reformat the card. Files were copied over again (10 hours via USB!), & it works OK now.

So it looks like the procedure which I used when the 64 Gig card could not be detected by the N900 was:
1. Format card to Fat32 on another computer (I used Easeus Partition Master freeware on an XP computer)
2. Install in N900. Open File Manager, & format the card again
3. Copy files to new card

Thanks everyone!

The Following User Says Thank You to rotoflex For This Useful Post:
After a couple of days working OK, I'm again when trying to save something getting an error message that the file system is read-only.

Also, it looks like the name of the card as shown in Filebox, File Manager, & System Memory Info has been corrupted.

Edit:
I powered off, removed the card, waited, then replaced the card & repowered. No improvement.

I connected the N900 in mass storage mode to my laptop, & this error message appeared::

"Memory is read-only until fixed.
Try fixing memory with a PC after plugging in USB cable."

Try fixing it how? I am running CSSU-Testing.

Last edited by rotoflex; 2013-02-15 at 08:21.

Originally Posted by rotoflex View Post
After a couple of days working OK, I'm again when trying to save something getting an error message that the file system is read-only.

Also, it looks like the name of the card as shown in Filebox, File Manager, & System Memory Info has been corrupted.

Edit:
I powered off, removed the card, waited, then replaced the card & repowered. No improvement.

I connected the N900 in mass storage mode to my laptop, & this error message appeared::

"Memory is read-only until fixed.
Try fixing memory with a PC after plugging in USB cable."

Try fixing it how? I am running CSSU-Testing.
I have gotten this problem when using Transmission in the N900 when the N900 is powered off improperly.

The way I fix it there is:
1. Find where your card is mounted in your filesystem (let's say for example this is /media/mmc1/).
2. Unmount the volume found in (1.) (in the case above,
umount /media/mmc1/
3. Run fsck to fix the issue on the device corresponding to the card (for example, if it is /dev/mmcblk1p1, do:
fsck -a /dev/mmcblk1p1

You find the name of the device and where it is mounted in your filesystem by using the command: df -h

Hope that helps. By the way, it is imperative that you unmount the volume in (2.) Otherwise things will go wrong.

Last edited by malfunctioning; 2013-02-15 at 17:57.

The Following User Says Thank You to malfunctioning For This Useful Post:
That didn't end well!

Here's the end of the action of fsck: "Unable to create unique name."

After re-powering the phone, the card does not appear in Filebox or Settings->Memory.

I can format again, but I wonder what changed it to read-only after it was working OK.

Edit:
I put the card in a netbook w/integrated card reader, & it shows all the files & directories that yesterday the N900 had! I wonder why the N900 no longer likes it.
Attached Images

Last edited by rotoflex; 2013-02-16 at 07:57.

Posts: 323 | Thanked: 189 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Brazil
Try fsck with "-wr" instead of "-a". It always happens with my fat32 part in n900. The only problem is that it will ask for permission on every error it encounters but is failproof at least on my system.

The Following User Says Thank You to Temporal For This Useful Post:
Thanks, that seems to have done it.
I wonder if it will stay a+rwx or if it will somehow become read-only again.

Thanks for this thread - i'm ordering my sandisk ultra 64GB today.

Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
What about 128 gb cards?? 64 gb is very less

The Following User Says Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post: