Active Topics

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
The future of Maemo is more than likely the same as other systems that were well loved, willing to be taken care of by their highly involved communities - think Zaurus and Familiar Linux for iPaq - and ultimately will end up the same fate as those aforementioned projects; forgotten and poorly managed due to proprietary components.

With that said I hope that's not the case. But if Nokia was happy to let Maemo get to "bastard stepchild" status since 2006 to now, my doubts that it will be truly open sourced and released to the masses is that much lesser. I do not wish that, however I feel as if that's going to be the case.
it would be a fine and good move of Nokia to release all hardware specs and open the drivers for N900. since its a legacy device anyways.

The Following User Says Thank You to zeebra For This Useful Post:
I just realized that meego.com is down already.
Seems like chances are quite bad to see any more MeeGo devices in the future.
I only wonder what happend to all the other MeeGo distributions, like the NetBook and tablet releases?
I actually never understood why Nokia never encouraged the community to port Maemo to more devices, like the tablets usually running Android.
Android, on the other hand, has been ported to nearly any device on the market, even to our beloved N900 and N9...

The Following User Says Thank You to inte For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Originally Posted by zeebra View Post
it would be a fine and good move of Nokia to release all hardware specs and open the drivers for N900. since its a legacy device anyways.
It may be a legacy device, but it doesn't contain legacy IP from 3rd parties. PowerVR for example.

The Following User Says Thank You to don_falcone For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by inte View Post
I just realized that meego.com is down already.
MeeGo is still up.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Actually we should define the future of Maemo (N900) and Meego (N9/M950) separately as they are two incompatible devices.

I reckon the future of Maemo is another 3 years because by then N900 devices will have reduced beyond the critical mass due to attrition.

The future of Meego is harder to predict. If (and only if) Nokia stops N9 production in 2015 it may continue for another 3-4 years.

Meltemi is not the future of Maemo/Meego. It will be a dumbed down os to replace Symbian for developing countries and crippled in order not to compete with Lumia.

The Following User Says Thank You to SamGan For This Useful Post:
A more urgent question is what is the future of Nokia? I will give Nokia another one and a half years max before it is broken up, restructured and sold for a song if it continues down the WP7 path.

The Following User Says Thank You to SamGan For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by SamGan View Post
A more urgent question is what is the future of Nokia? I will give Nokia another one and a half years max before it is broken up, restructured and sold for a song if it continues down the WP7 path.
Sold to Microsoft with the bless of Elop.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nantunest For This Useful Post:
Posts: 387 | Thanked: 1,700 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Cambridge, MA, USA
Originally Posted by SamGan View Post
A more urgent question is what is the future of Nokia?
Why is that question in any way urgent? Nokia is just an OEM for Microsoft now. If Nokia dies, Microsoft will just find another company to crank out Zunephones. Microsoft has enough cash to fail in the mobile arena 10 more times, and still be in the game, so Nokia isn't even critical to Microsoft, much less us.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ken-Young For This Useful Post:
Posts: 148 | Thanked: 216 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Yerevan
now we already can state that maemo is dead.
however, qtmoko and shr aren't.
nemo mobile is not.

the only hope about maemo is that cssu guys will fork it, replace non-free components, and maintain a free maemo implementation.
why them? I believe nobody in the community knows maemo better.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to norayr For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by norayr View Post
now we already can state that maemo is dead.
however, qtmoko and shr aren't.
nemo mobile is not.

the only hope about maemo is that cssu guys will fork it, replace non-free components, and maintain a free maemo implementation.
why them? I believe nobody in the community knows maemo better.
Maemo CSSU and Nemo Mobile aren't dead. Agree.
There is no need to fork CSSU when CSSU is already, with time, including more and more of reverse-engineered components. Such as, osso-systemui-tklock (with CSSU-devel, it has portrait mode working, unlike the non-free version of it), clock-ui... You can see the green (replaced with open-source versions) packages in Fremantle closed packages. There aren't that much of them, but with time, there will be more. For instance, even though "osso-graphics-game-chess" is non-free, there already is an excellent replacement for the graphics published in a thread, albeit not packaged into a .deb yet. "osso-icons-default" would take much more patience, to maintain the spirit of the default theme while using free images.
And I thank CSSU-developers, yet again, for their brilliant work. Not only they reverse-engineer closed components, they also fix the bugs, and add new features.
Best wishes.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post: