Notices

AccuWeather app you can search google: AccuWeather symbian

_________

kindle fire reviews - kaspersky antivirus 2013

Last edited by mpuhl299; 2013-01-25 at 03:22.

The Following User Says Thank You to mpuhl299 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 545 | Thanked: 560 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ lebanon
accuweather for N900 not for symbian

The Following User Says Thank You to myname24 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ Wichita, Ks/Tulsa, Ok
Originally Posted by myname24 View Post
sorry for bumping an old thread but i didn't find accuweather . Did they release it ?
I'm the developer who wrote the N900 app as well as the AccuWeather N9 app (and also an unreleased and incomplete Symbian proof-of-concept version.) I'm a moderator over on the forums at qt-project.org, should anyone need to get in touch with me there. (For the record, I'm just speaking as me, not as an AccuWeather employee representing the views of that organization, etc., etc.)

As for the N900 app, It was never officially released; it got caught up in QC Hell @ Nokia due to some insignificant memory leak, or something equally mundane (It's been a while now and I don't remember exactly what it was) and after patching and resubmitting (and generally never being able to consistently reproduce QC's bugs) too many times to remember, decisions were made to not devote any more time to the (ever-aging) N900 platform, focusing on the upcoming platform which would later be the N9, which at the time promised the potential of more eyes on the product.

I was always proud of the N900 app, simple as it was, and was sad that it never "officially" was released. There were a couple of promotional videos that were released showing it off and it seemed a shame to me that it never saw the public release I thought it deserved, as I worked very hard on it.

Anyway, that's about it. It was never officially released. That's all I can say. If someone finds a leaked copy, I'm pretty sure I'm safe in saying you'd be using it at your own risk and that I nor AccuWeather nor anyone on the planet make no guarantee of its safety or completeness or warranty or whatever. IANAL. YMMV.

(And, for what it's worth, to the person upthread accusing me/us/whatever of ripping off other open-source software, I'm offended and saddened by such accusations. Lots of people like to think in terms of big, bad, evil corporations, but often fail to realize that ultimately stuff like this comes down to small teams or individual developers who are working hard on projects they love and committed to. (For that matter, AccuWeather's not a big, bad, evil corporation, IMHO, FWIW) All I can say is that a couple of designers and I sat down and brainstormed what we thought a nice app would look like, never looking at any others besides what our company had already produced -- from there, I just gave up tons of my time to try to make it happen. If certain elements are similar to some other software, it was purely coincidental!)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mlong For This Useful Post:
Posts: 545 | Thanked: 560 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ lebanon
Originally Posted by mlong View Post
I'm the developer who wrote the N900 app as well as the AccuWeather N9 app (and also an unreleased and incomplete Symbian proof-of-concept version.) I'm a moderator over on the forums at qt-project.org, should anyone need to get in touch with me there. (For the record, I'm just speaking as me, not as an AccuWeather employee representing the views of that organization, etc., etc.)

As for the N900 app, It was never officially released; it got caught up in QC Hell @ Nokia due to some insignificant memory leak, or something equally mundane (It's been a while now and I don't remember exactly what it was) and after patching and resubmitting (and generally never being able to consistently reproduce QC's bugs) too many times to remember, decisions were made to not devote any more time to the (ever-aging) N900 platform, focusing on the upcoming platform which would later be the N9, which at the time promised the potential of more eyes on the product.

I was always proud of the N900 app, simple as it was, and was sad that it never "officially" was released. There were a couple of promotional videos that were released showing it off and it seemed a shame to me that it never saw the public release I thought it deserved, as I worked very hard on it.
Thanks for such long post explaining what happened . And yes i found 3 versions of accuweather in a nokia repo too bad it wasn't officially released . http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=88771 .(btw great app but sometimes it doesn't download weather data other than that it's great )

The Following User Says Thank You to myname24 For This Useful Post: