Posts: 414 | Thanked: 109 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Silicon Valley
Very tempted to test this out.....but a few questions first please....

FWIW, about a year ago, I did get Arch running on the little Fujitsu U820 that I used to have....was great....so, have a little experience with Arch and the Arch Way and even trying to get help over at the Arch forums...

Meanwhile, before I try Arch on N900....

A. CSSU-Stable & Bootmenu program

Have recently installed CSSU-Stable, which means I also installed bootmenu program.

1. Do I need to remove bootmenu first and then install U-boot?

2. If I do install U-boot, will I still be OK with CSSU-Stable?

Thanks!

Nokia N900
Previous: Nokia N810 & N800

Posts: 204 | Thanked: 754 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
Originally Posted by ArchiMark View Post
Have recently installed CSSU-Stable, which means I also installed bootmenu program.

1. Do I need to remove bootmenu first and then install U-boot?

2. If I do install U-boot, will I still be OK with CSSU-Stable?

Thanks!
1. No, they co-exist fine (at least for me they do).
2. Yes, it's "only" a boot loader. If you have/use other than stock kernel, make sure you have correct bootimg for it.

Someone else could probably shed more light into this, it's been awhile since the last time I did anything on Maemo.

The Following User Says Thank You to Skry For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by int_ua View Post
Skry set up the wiki and I've added the hardware support page, please share your experience, mark components not yet working:
https://github.com/archlinuxarm-n900...rdware-support
Or mark hardware as working, like I did Thanks!

EDIT: Huh, added just about everything that came into my mind, looks good!

Last edited by Skry; 2013-03-02 at 14:32.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Skry For This Useful Post:
Posts: 15 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ Leipzig
Trying to connect a bluetooth keyboard with Maemo can be a futile endeavour since nasty and never to be fixed bugs (classified “WONTFIX”) exist.

Not so with arch-n900. The only obstacle here is the bluetooth device's MAC address which just like the wifi's MAC address for some reason cannot be read out automatically and therefore needs to be set manually before loading the driver:¹²

modprobe hci_h4p ; echo "00:00:00:00:00:02" > /sys/devices/platform/hci_h4p/bdaddr ; modprobe -r hci_h4p ; modprobe hci_h4p

Ideally this executes during startup if someone has a better clou where to put it in systemd. The pairing then is straightforward:³

hcitool scan → note the keyboard's MAC address
echo 0000|bluez-simple-agent hci0 90:7F:61:8F:0D:58
bluez-test-device trusted 90:7F:61:8F:0D:58 yes
bluez-test-input connect 90:7F:61:8F:0D:58

The current KBD-mapping then applies to both the slider-keyboard and the bluetooth keyboard at the same time. Of course it would be nice to have separate mappings for them, but it is already good enough that I will from now on substitute my 2.5kg laptop with a lightweight keyboard of 300g for mobile typewriting.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Älä hakkaa For This Useful Post:
I got a question from user, regarding the missing DAC highpass filter (hw issue) and the possibility of blowing up speakers. This issue is something that I have completely forgot to discuss. So here goes for starters..

- I have personally spent several hours playing all kinds of music through alsa, without nokia pulseaudio which is supposed to have that particular filter, with volume maxed out in alsamixer. Speakers of my N900 are still working fine. This was one of the first tasks I did when I started working with this. Add to that all the regular use I have had in the process.

- Quick peek at Google and I found one thread about N9 speaker blown, with nitdroid. Meego mailing list very briefly mentioned that it is possible to harm the device if adjusting alsa levels when pulseaudio is doing the same. Is there anyone who actually has blown his speakers?

- If there are no other workarounds, than what is in Maemo and Meego, this issue would affect everyone running anything other than those two. Are there any reports of damage from users of other distributions somewhere?

Please, supply any information about this you might have, it's important.

Meanwhile, if you are afraid of the possible damage, mute the speaker. If that is too extreme measure, adjust the speaker volume to sane level.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Skry For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Älä hakkaa View Post
Trying to connect a bluetooth keyboard with Maemo can be a futile endeavour since nasty and never to be fixed bugs (classified “WONTFIX”) exist.

Not so with arch-n900.
Sounds almost like advert

Anyway, it's nice to hear, that it works perfectly with Arch. Just for the record - for Maemo, using package extkbd solves problems you've mentioned, too.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
I just updated n900-integration to v0.2.

This includes /etc/n900_wladdr and /etc/n900_btaddr files which you can use to set wlan and bluetooth hardware addresses to whatever you like. These are applied at boot.

USB failures at boot should be fixed, hopefully.

I just forced you to use the extended keyboard layout for VT. nokia-n900.map is now a symlink to rx51_us.map. If you liked the previous better, get it from Meego or backup nokia-n900.map before upgrading.

Edit:
Changes |, %, <> and ESC to Fn+Shift+L, Fn+Shift+D, Fn+Shift+VB and Fn+Backspace.

Last edited by Skry; 2013-03-03 at 23:37.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Skry For This Useful Post:
Posts: 15 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ Leipzig
@ Estel, I tried my best with extkbd already¹ but I can only state that it doesn't work for Medion P81034 = Perixx PERIBOARD-804i and that it reproduces the bug mentioned above (modifier-key failure due to some deliberately missing extensions in the Maemo X server). While Maemo certainly is great for its nifty UI it's probably best to not have sentiments for any specific distribution. Isn't it the pits everywhere if we get philosophical?

The Following User Says Thank You to Älä hakkaa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 676 | Thanked: 1,067 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Kyiv, Ukraine
Edit: should we use github bug tracker?

USB looks fixed, yes. However the charging is not really ok. With wall charger plugged in it gives
Code:
$ cat /sys/class/power_supply/*/status
Full
Discharging
while it's definitely not full.
The capacity doesn't look ok too:
Code:
$ acpi -V
Battery 0: Discharging, 64%, 03:19:25 remaining
Battery 0: design capacity 2056 mAh, last full capacity 1077 mAh = 52%
And acpid doesn't work on startup, only after
Code:
# systemctl restart acpid
Edit:
Skry, I want to try drawing the keymap in SVG, any suggestions on the correct level placement inside keys?

Last edited by int_ua; 2013-03-04 at 13:49.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to int_ua For This Useful Post:
Hi all,

I get a 404 when I try to get the packages from the dropbox repos. Is there an alternative?

Thanks,
Ashish