I just need a good to-do list. I can't seem to find one.

Posts: 142 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ London
gpe-todo is ok - but how could you not find it?

This is actually a great question and something that I've been looking into since getting my N800. I've been reading David Allen's Getting Thing Done (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Getting_things_done), and trying to implement that using my N800.

I started by using the simple gpe-todo. However, I can't have tasks in folders (for example, for different projects and different contexts). If the categories were hierarchical and I could view the category tree as a sidebar, that would work. Also, I can't synchronise this using SyncML (which is how I keep my todo list in sync between my Motorola Q9h and PC).

Then I tried Maemopad+. This is a great application, and I can even scribble todo's instead of typing them in (for later processing). However, I can't view this on my PC or MotoQ.

Then I tried NoteCase. This is a nice application with Windows and Linux versions. I used that for a while, till I realised that it's impossible to keep the N800 in sync with my work PC. Also, I can't view this on my MotoQ. I even submitted a feature request for sync'ing the list with a ftp server, but the author doesn't like that idea. Plus there's a bug where it uses 100% CPU on the N800 while you type (I logged that too).

Today, I discovered http://www.toodledo.com - it has features none of the other web-based todo lists seem to have:
- Folders
- Categorisation for context
- Categorisation for project (called goals)
- Ability to sync with Google and other systems
- Works perfectly on the N800
- Mobile view for my MotoQ

So that's what I am using now. I would still recommend gpe-todo for simple todo lists, but if you're trying to be productive and want to implement GTD (getting things done), then I recommend Toodledo.

It's always tempting to look for a standalone app for the N800, but bear in mind it works wonderfully with web-based apps. It would be great if Google Gears was available for the N800, then we could use the apps offline too.

PS: My first post so go easy on the replies

Last edited by TobyK; 2008-01-24 at 11:36.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to TobyK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 239 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Massachusetts
Toodledo loads here on my OS2008 N810 with nested scrollbars.
It's pretty much unnavigable. I need a local app, anyway.

GTD looks really interesting.

---------------------------------------------

Along the same lines as toodledo I can recommend (and use) taskfreak ( http://www.taskfreak.com ).

Freeware. Based on php and mysql. I use it for home, and for organising my team's tasks. Yes we have Office 2007 on our work PCs but for actually managing your list, having it available on the web (and via an RSS feed) makes life easier.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by Masterphill99 View Post
I just need a good to-do list. I can't seem to find one.
Here's one:

1. Become richest dude in the world
2. Score Beyoncé
3. Produce perfect Internet Tablet and shame Nokia
4. Wake up.

I know, it's only four points, but I feel they count.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Karel Jansens For This Useful Post:
TobyK, have you looked at www.rememberthemilk.com ? There's a greasemonkey script floating around here for it that makes the mobile version more thumb friendly. Although it doesn't have offline access yet with syncing on the n8X0s (you need Google Gears). Though I heard someone was trying to get Google Gears working on the tablets.

Also it syncs with Google Calendar and such.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Maemopad+ let's you create check lists, I use it personally and really like it.

Posts: 833 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Based in the USA
GTD sounds really interesting, and is similar to what many of us with PDA's or paper have been doing for years.
Once I record something where I know I will see it popping up again I don't have to worry if I forgot about it.
This let's me focus on the GeD portion - Get er' Done.

The problem is having the good recording and review system.
PLEASE use the Wiki

Originally Posted by dubwise View Post
Toodledo loads here on my OS2008 N810 with nested scrollbars.
It's pretty much unnavigable. I need a local app, anyway.

GTD looks really interesting.
Very strange, I am running it in OS2008 on my N800 and it looks perfect, even when not in full screen...

@Karel - hehehe! Nice one

@Laughing Man - I'd heard of it, but after you mentioned it, I went and signed up. Wow! It's really advanced, even has SyncML support for Windows Mobile (my MotoQ). I love it and will probably switch to it Thanks!

@CyberCat - Yes Meamopad+ is really nice, but when you really start to use it, you find a lot of flaws. Like you can't move stuff around in the tree (you have to delete and re-create). Also, if you accidentally make a top node a sketch instead of a checklist, then you can't change it. You have to delete it (along with all it's sub-nodes). It's got a way to go before it's usable.

The Following User Says Thank You to TobyK For This Useful Post: