Active Topics

A 'light' phone would be cool for Jolla. Like, so the phone matches the ambiance.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Ambiance is a joke future like jolla pronoting like it was some revolutionary feature. It's not!

But agree. If the whole phone was ambiance the could pro one since it would be intressting and new. Jolla should show us some other stuff from the os instead of ambiance all the time. Why not show sailfish and android apps or browser or somthing.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Yeah I do think Jolla is pushing ambiance like it was a feature that would change how we use phones xD

I agree. Ambiance is a nice thing to have, but I'm already mostly over it. I hope there is the option of turning the transparency off if I want.

But isn't the whole idea about ambience that you set it up with a picture, then perhaps you make tweaks to it (like transparency) and all apps will look seemless [if they use the API properly]? This isn't a feature that gives you any real functionality, but I can see how a certain segment of potential customers will like it.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Sure, it doesn't heart that is there. But its fun in max 3 seconds. After that you want to build your own Theme, Settings, Background, function. Plus, I haven't seen any API indicating that you can mess with its feature on the GUI level. Anyone look into the SDK? Any properties to enable/disable ambiance for your application?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Maybe somebody will make a harmattan theme

Posts: 289 | Thanked: 185 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ Worldwide
Originally Posted by genchigenbutsu View Post
Maybe somebody will make a harmattan theme
check this out: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=89552

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by genchigenbutsu View Post
I agree. Ambiance is a nice thing to have, but I'm already mostly over it. I hope there is the option of turning the transparency off if I want.
The way sailfish silicaui handles menus is fresh and very nice IMHO.

The way it works on harmattan feels kinda akward on a swipe based UI.

My guess is pullymenus will feel even better when see it on a real device with touch feedback

IMHO more people should install the SDK and start emulator to check the way the UI works

I have started port thee of my apps already to sailfish so damn easy. And the SDK feels "more ready" than harmattan was even if sailfish SDK is called "alpha"
Attached Images

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2013-04-08 at 19:13.

I actually think that I will like the pulley menu, so long as it works smoothly and responsively all the time. Haptics are always a plus in my opinion also!

Although, I think that they may be annoying to use on very long pages where lots of scrolling is needed to get back to the top. Maybe they've already thought of this and there is a shortcut to get to the top that I haven't heard of as yet.

Overall though, almost everything I've seen seems to work really well & quite speedily (esp. on old hardware), I just haven't seen anything that I would consider pretty, and I think that may be partly because of the developer's affinity with this transparency.

Tags
jolla, jolla on topic, jollamobile, meego, merproject, nokia, nokian9, professionals, speculations, tizenjolla