Notices

Posts: 538 | Thanked: 168 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Seattle
I had reported before that the EQ wasn't working in XMMS, but that a re-install had fixed it - or so I thought... The past couple of days I've noticed the EQ working only intermittantly and have tried a variety of things to make it work when it wasn't - nothing helped.

It turns out the intermittant functioning of the EQ related to playing ogg files vs. mp3. I have a mixture of the 2 formats in my playlist and every time an ogg file plays, the EQ quits having an effect on the music, switch to an mp3 file and the EQ effects the music again.

Any idea how to fix this? Is anybody else having the same problem? Thanks!

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 159 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Germany - Munich
Mmmhhh
I usually don't play ogg (a pity because I prefer it) because ogg decoders are usually more cpu intensive and xmms puts the cpu at its limit. I will try to mix up mp3 and ogg and play with the EQ

I've lost a bit track with all requests/bugs of people. Sorry!

Ok I tried again ogg for the first time on the OS2008 and it's simply perfect, even with jess full screen and other windows it works without problem. I'm very surprised, this is a real proof of the speed optimization of this new OS.

And the EQ on my n800 only works for mp3s... pity..

Not for ogg nor flac (which by the way played very nicely on my n800)

I'll have a look if this is a bug or by design.

Thanks for xmms!

I use it because it allows me to manage the muusic collection. It can create/revise metainfo--id3 tags--and it also allows mee to delete songs that I don't want anymore.

To my dismay, none of the Maemo music programs offer those features. Even the huge Canola program can't. Weird.

PJ

The EQ + ogg problem has to do with how the EQ works in xmms. I remember having that problem on the desktop before I switched to audacious. The only workaround I was able to find was a third party eq plugin that seemed to work with all formats.

The Following User Says Thank You to alphalux For This Useful Post:
Posts: 538 | Thanked: 168 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Seattle
Originally Posted by alphalux View Post
The EQ + ogg problem has to do with how the EQ works in xmms. I remember having that problem on the desktop before I switched to audacious. The only workaround I was able to find was a third party eq plugin that seemed to work with all formats.
Yeah... I've tried the XMMS EQ for some ogg files on my desktop and get the same result - guess I hadn't noticed before because I usually don't use headphones with my desktop. I googled and found that this is a known problem with XMMS - something in the EQ is tied to the codec. Although, you'd think the XMMS guys would have come up with a solution by now - heck even my music software for my old Palm pda could equalize my oggs. I'm really rather bummed about this discovery - the bulk of my music collection is in ogg format.

I did find a link to an "EQ fix" for XMMS - however reading the FAQ it looks like it's waaay too CPU hungry for ARM usage. Here's the link if anybody else is interested.

http://www.t2-project.org/packages/eq-xmms.html

The Following User Says Thank You to PinCushionQueen For This Useful Post:
Wow that's an equalizer! 15 bands!
And yes it works for all medias.
And yes it's slightly too cpu intensive on the n800. But almost good

I've put it there
Move it to /usr/lib/xmms/Effect

Maybe somebody is able to do a better build..
Currently with
Code:
CFLAGS="-mcpu=arm1136jf-s -mfpu=vfp -mfloat-abi=softfp" ./configure

anybody here good in arm assembly language?

Last edited by free; 2008-01-27 at 01:09.

Ah I didn't see that you can configure it.
From 10 bands to 31 bands.
15 is too cpu intensive (with my configuration).

But 10 bands (like original xmms eq) is fine.

So we now have a working Equalizer for mp3, ogg, flac,..

Thanks to PinCushionQueen for reporting and solving the issue

You can fetch it with the above link or wait that I make a .deb.

ps:
Does anybody have performance issue when reading from sd card? (I have no sd card at the moment, no way to check).
From flash, the ogg and equalizer performance is perfect but I'm not sure anymore from sd card..

Last edited by free; 2008-01-27 at 13:41.

hope this isnt asking the obvious but since i cant see the makefile ill ask anyways...

do your cflags get the -O2 (or -O 1-6) flag added?

Originally Posted by pipeline View Post
hope this isnt asking the obvious but since i cant see the makefile ill ask anyways...
Thanks for your comment.
The configure.in is available from the original website.
do your cflags get the -O2 (or -O 1-6) flag added?
Yes, O3 (which has caused me some problems on my own softwares..)

Code:
-Wall -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -Wpointer-arith -finline-functions -ffast-math \
-fno-strict-aliasing -mcpu=arm1136jf-s -mfpu=vfp -mfloat-abi=softfp
Hope it's correct..

As of now, the 10 band equalizer is usable. 15-31 bands will need ARM or DSP coding...