I am egar to get Kismet working on the 800 with the 2008 OS, but most of the information on this forum is nearly a year old.

This was posted on the Kismet developers blog as of Jan. 2, 2008

New release is pending on me getting stuff done for the nokia 800/810 to try to finally eke out some stability there, if there are any patches now is the time to start sending them to me. (Check the svn changelog, most of the annoying glitches from the last release are taken care of).
I'd really like to help out with this, but a) I have had the 800 for less than 2 days and b) I don't have any kind of Linux box to try to cross-compile on.

I did install subversion on my 800 and checked out the Kismet repository, but there are no development tools on the 800 so it did me no good at all.

I'd like some guidance on how I can compile and install a version of Kismet (and nmap and ...) for the 800 with the 2008 OS?

Walt

Posts: 191 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Ottawa
It would be great to have native dev tools on the n800, but I haven't seen any yet.

Another approach is to use the vmware developer image, and run a linux machine inside vmplayer (even on windows). I know there was a vmware image for OS2007, haven't look seriously for a OS2008 version, but there may be one.

I suspect that the older OS2007 version should work on OS2008, since it is strictly a console application.

hope this helps,

Craig...

Posts: 531 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on Oct 2006 @ This side of insane, that side of genius
i am running kismet on os2008, and have no problems to report. it wasn't that hard to find the ppackage, and it was a .deb already.
ElmScan 5 BlueTooth
BlackBerry Bold (9000)
AT&T Wireless

Posts: 282 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Penniless Park, Fla.
Originally Posted by brendan View Post
i am running kismet on os2008, and have no problems to report. it wasn't that hard to find the ppackage, and it was a .deb already.
- did you install the os2006 .deb?

Not the new release mentioned in my original post, but I was successful in finding a repository with a good working version and installed it. I posted the details in the Kismet Thread: http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...?t=1322&page=5
It's the OS2007 version but seems to work. I'll keep an eye on the Kismet website for new developments!

Walt

The Following User Says Thank You to walts For This Useful Post:
Posts: 531 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on Oct 2006 @ This side of insane, that side of genius
Originally Posted by linux_author View Post
- did you install the os2006 .deb?
the package i have installed is:

kismet_2007.01.R1b-1.0_armel.deb

i got the package here:

http://eko.one.pl/maemo/index.php?pa...Fbinary-armel/

libpcap, also available at the above link, is a dependency and has to be installed before kismet.

it works on os2008, and stays running longer than 30 seconds. i have heard some people say that it stops running after a few seconds to minutes for them, but i dont have these problems. the issue with the wireless access, i.e. card not coming out of promiscuous mode, does occur though.
ElmScan 5 BlueTooth
BlackBerry Bold (9000)
AT&T Wireless

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brendan For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by brendan View Post
i have heard some people say that it stops running after a few seconds to minutes for them, but i dont have these problems.
Maybe the problem is that the IT's default is to look for wlans every 30s or something? I had some of those problems when I had this autoconnect enabled, then I disabled it and have never had any problems again...