Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by willi6868 View Post
Edit: Is Jolla reading this thread?
what makes you say that?

Posts: 548 | Thanked: 562 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Germany
Just kidding.
Anyway we are discussion about this cryptic message and getting a teaser, but maybe I am too excited.

Originally Posted by late88 View Post
"I am the other half"

For me it sounds like the device and the user combined are the 'whole'.
You, the user, are the other half.
Well, we will see...
I suspect similar type of explanation for this.

I got a feeling going too deep with this one probably isn't wise, but hey, that's part of the fun.

Last edited by tissot; 2013-05-13 at 17:58.

Countdown for your browser (just paste this in the address bar):

Code:
data:text/html, <html><head><link href="http://www.egrappler.com/county/css/county.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"/><link href="http://www.egrappler.com/county/css/demo.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"/><script src="http://www.egrappler.com/county/js/jquery-1.8.3.min.js" type="text/javascript"></script><script src="http://www.egrappler.com/county/js/county.js" type="text/javascript"></script><script type="text/javascript">$(document).ready(function () {$('%23my-count-down').county({ endDateTime: new Date('2013/05/20 00:00:00'), reflection: true, animation: 'scroll', theme: 'black' });});</script></head><body style="background-color:%23000000;"><span style="color:white; font-weight:bold; font-size:14pt; font-family: Arial, Helvetica;">Jolla announcement in:<br/><br/><div id="my-count-down"></div></body></html>

Last edited by shmerl; 2013-05-13 at 22:52.

Posts: 434 | Thanked: 990 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Australia
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
I wouldn't say they have showed us Sailfish! they have showed us a sneak peak. It's not enough information for preorder.

They havn't showed us anything real yet.
Depends if you're referring to being spoon fed information or actually having info publicly available information if you know where to look.

I've always found trolling through the Meego OBS package changes a very fulfilling experience......

In fact the Jolla team have been quite "open" about the sort of things we might see in Sailfish

edit:

Of course, not forgetting Mer! knowing who's who in the jungle can tell you a lot about what's being worked on.

Last edited by onethreealpha; 2013-05-13 at 23:00.

Moderator | Posts: 3,716 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Marc Dillon answers: Why Jolla?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXqS8MbMFVU

Jolla's Marc Dillon on QWERTY smartphones:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJ0btrtQ5Fc

Interviewer:
What are you basic thoughts about QWERTY based devices
they are not so popular in market today because there are non of them

Marc Dillon:
I see that there is a need actually. Consumers can only buy what's offered to them. There don't seems to be any real bussiness oriented devices available at the moment, so I would like to see more QWERTY based devices.
I know that there are a lot of people want it and we're getting asked all the time.

This whole generation is growing up now with touchscreen only devices, they dont even really understand or know, because they haven't been exposed to what you can do

This is great news!

Edit:
The whole interview will be online tomorrow (Tuesday)

Last edited by HtheB; 2013-05-14 at 00:20.

I don't understand why people are hating so hard on the compatibility layer eh? Because you know making developers write applications for the N9 worked out for ****ing great didn't it.

Only people who really loved the device stayed with it, while it aged and hardware overtook it quite quickly. Maybe that's because it was a still born thank to Elop. But Jolla unlike Nokia can't afford to this wrong, if they don't gain enough momentum with their release its game over. So it's better for the device to have applications out of the door, rather than them being written from scratch and developers being scarce.

I appreciated the the work that developers put into the N9 I honestly did, cutetube was so much better than its Android Official equivalent. But at the same time, that's one applications that can easily be ported and the users can make a choice what they want to use. If Android applications run well and fast and integrate with no issues people really need to just stop the hate.

Posts: 434 | Thanked: 990 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Australia
Originally Posted by m4r0v3r View Post
I don't understand why people are hating so hard on the compatibility layer eh? Because you know making developers write applications for the N9 worked out for ****ing great didn't it.
Many devs were unwilling to commit (any) dev time to porting existing Qt based applications for the N9 for a number of reasons, the N9 Stillbirth being one of them. Issues with the Nokia SDK build machine, the absolute SHITE state of the nokia app store and hopeless distribution system, not to mention the wait for payments.....
Add to that, a complete lack of advertising for the platform and absolutely NO incentives by Nokia, and there's why.

It's not a matter of hate for ACL (a few purists excluded) but genuine interest and concern for the means of integration with the core OS and UX, which are all valid.

ACL (like Android Player for BB10) is another tool and provides a little bit of leverage for any fence sitters who may be holding back on purchasing because they can't publicly distribute a photo of some stirfry they bought from a street vendor in Bangkok.....

Posts: 819 | Thanked: 806 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Oxnard, Ca.
From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jolla

--
As Jolla's Sailfish OS use the Mer core distribution then it can be used with various hardware, like ARM or Intel and many others. It is possible because the Mer core distribution does not contain neither a kernel nor UI, but libraries above kernel and below UI layers. To make a working Linux distribution a specific kernel compatible with a particular hardware and a UI (like Jolla UI in Sailfish) are to be added - this creates the distribution of Linux MeeGo Sailfish OS for particular hardware. Also this allows Sailfish OS with appropriate kernel to work on every hardware. Because of open source basis and rules it can be used by all interested in using of those solutions e.g. to adopt for a particular hardware or any special needs
--

Now I get it!

Tags
dave ate sail, fishing jolla, n9 sailfish, nokia n950, sailfish, sailfish os, sailfish video, where?