Active Topics

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Pfft. Dinosaurs don't die easy.

As I've said before, it's all a matter of relative scales, and the same could be said of the "****ing" home theater.

I'm sure he's referring to the puny Iphone display, not the 800x480 pixel Nokia goodness.

Last edited by iamthewalrus; 2008-01-21 at 01:31.

The n800 is not a cell phone.

Also, any movie you need to watch on the big screen in order to truly "experience" is probably a crap movie anyway.

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 1,123 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Helsinki
I love David Lynch. I do agree on the movie sensation. Movies - with a capital M - even on a TV screen really lose out much, not to mention even smaller screens.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
I'm with David Lynch - the man can do no wrong in my books, and he's not wrong here!

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Well, I think he's wrong. Nobody in their right minds should indeed be watching a movie on a phone screen -- for the first time!

But I certainly can appreciate something like "12 Angry Men", or even "2001" and yes, hy not "Ronin" on the screen of my N800, not to live the full cinematic experience, but to reminisce it. I can fill in from memory the things the tiny screen doesn't show, and in that process the movie-watching experience becomes more akin to reading a book: The fantasy and memory start playing a role.

Granted, the last thing a director like Lynch will probably want is for viewers to start using their own minds, but there you go...

Then of course this is the opinion form someone who also has 1,000 books on his N800, so I probably don't count.

Posts: 251 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Houston, Texas
I'm a big fan of Lynch's and he puts a LOT into his films--probably more than even Alfred Hitchcock--compositionally. Viewing his films on smaller screens would ruin the full effect.

If you ever see his film "Eraserhead", you need to calibrate your TV for Black and White in order to view it properly. The DVD has a calibration screen and instructions included.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Haha, I used to watch all my films on my 176x220 W810 :P . The converter M3 used to have the best quality I'd ever seen though.

While many are stampeding towards giant plasma screens and Blue Ray, I'm in Lilliputian intimate cinema mode!

There is something cool about having your favorite movies and shows in your shirt pocket...watching on the couch ...commuting ...sneaking in a peek at work etc.

Since most of what I have is old, retro, sci-spy fantasy favorites, I guess there may be some Freudian/Security Blanket thang going on with this!