Active Topics

Show demand for the keyboard half and it might happen:

http://identi.ca/conversation/99873357#notice-101023984

Originally Posted by Ken-Young View Post
Here's another question you might want to ask: "Do I want to see any more Maemo/Meego/Sailfish heritage phones in the future?" If you do value that type of phone, you might want to consider supporting Jolla by purchasing one of these phones, even if they didn't produce exactly what you wanted in their first product. If we all just hang onto our old N900s and N9s, and snub Jolla because of some trivial issue like the bezzle, we may find ourselves with no gnu/linux heritage phones available at all in a few years.

I'm gonna buy one as soon as I possibly can, even though they won't officially sell them where I live. Unless it comes with less than 128 MBytes of RAM, or the CPU is clocked below 100 MHz, I'm sold.
You mean like all our purchases of N900 and N9 saved Nokia? Let's be real. A small group of geeks can't change the world by voting with their wallets. They can change it by developing killer apps, helping spread the word, fixing stuff, etc. But wallet? I seriously doubt it.

I'll probably end up buying the device, as my hatred of android grows more each day. But it's not what I wanted. And I basically wanted for them to sell me the N950 with Sailfish.

Jolla dudes: now that you have your hardware, what about selling those juicy N950's? I promise we'll take care of them.

----

But seriously, I do think jolla needs to be better than the others, and to create an ecosystem. For starters, they really really really should work on having an image for the N9. Boom, instant expanded ecosystem: more people with Sailfish on their hands. This is one thing Nokia NEVER GOT RIGHT, nor anyone else.

Look at Apple: the iphone 3GS, came out a few months before the N900 and is still _supported_. It still gets iOS updates. It's just incredible! And why does Apple does this? Ecosystem. Instead of having a new platform every release and burning all the bridges, you invite all your older friends and your userbase always grows, instead of you always starting from scratch.

So, if jolla wants to be unlike, how about bootstrapping that community starting with the N9, and also make a commitmment to really support the new phone. Promise us that in a year you won't be going "yeah, dual-core, that was crappy lol. why don't you buy the new one and throw that crap Sailfish 1.0 away?". If I buy jolla's phone in 2013, I want to be able to use it in 2015/2016 without feeling completely abandoned. Will it be a bit slow? Of course. But I still want a decent 2016 browser, and all the most recent apps.

I want a desktop-like experience. My Intel E2180 cost 80€ in 2008. It still runs all the latest software. Is it lighting-fast? No. But I still have security updates. I still have a decent browser. And I still can buy the latest software. The only thing that has changed is that apps consume more resources, and so the pc is "getting slower" each day.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to [Knuckles] For This Useful Post:
Posts: 191 | Thanked: 63 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Croatia
Ok... Jolla phone plooks great and all that jazz... Probably will buy it (Hell.. got me self n810, n900, n9 so i guess i gotta have this also =P)

But what i REALLY wanna know after all this... When are we gonna be able to put sailfish on N9 =)

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Holy mother, this is way more out there than I ever imagined, much of it I could see coming, but this expansion ability (which admittedly is still very vague) sounds so damn super cool, I hope it's not all hot air! And I want to hear much more about the entire sw stack, the entire "ecosystem" story, & the licensing etc (apologies in advance if some of this is already covered, still only at pg17).

Originally Posted by nokiabot View Post
Lumiaman alive
I'm not sure how you could understand the full extent of his past here, having only been signed-up since March, but your shared shock is appreciated.

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-05-20 at 19:09.

2nd post is updated all the time with new articles, videos and pictures.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Morpog For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Holy mother, this is way more out there than I ever imagined, much of it I could see coming, but this expansion ability (which admittedly is still very vague) sounds so damn super cool, I hope it's not all hot air! And I want to hear much more about the entire sw stack, the entire "ecosystem" story, & the licensing etc (apologies in advance if some of this is already covered, still only at pg17).
welcome, just look at jolla presentation. In the teaser they say anything will be reveled...still waiting

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 74 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ Bavaria
from the videos and pictures, i calculated the dimensions (in mm)

~132 x 68

dimension of n9 (3.9" Display): 116.5 x 61.2
dimension of lumia 920 (4.5" Display): 130.3 x 70.8

The Following User Says Thank You to v0id For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Well, I'm impressed with the device. I've gotta hand it to the folks at Jolla; they've taken the limited hardware that was available to them, and created something rather fresh out of it.

For myself, this is really the device I would have wished the N9 had been. The N9 looks pretty, but the Jolla phone's shape looks more comfortable to use. More importantly, it has a replaceable battery and a (micro) SD-card slot; after my experience with the iPhone, I'm not planning on ever getting another portable computing device without those two features.

I think I finally have a fairly comfortable upgrade path from my N900. (I just wish they'd been able to fit an IR port on the device! )

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
No spec given of the SoC I guess this has todo with the latest announcement from STEricsson and now Jolla searching for another ARM with similar specs...

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
(I just wish they'd been able to fit an IR port on the device! )
Potential new (cringe-worthy) slogan: "There's a 'half' for that."

#un-unlike

Last edited by Drekkie; 2013-05-20 at 18:40.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Drekkie For This Useful Post:

Tags
"pretty soon", funniest line, jolla, pipo party, sailfish, tmo red