Poll: Will you buy the Jolla phone?
Poll Options
Will you buy the Jolla phone?

i like the os but the hardware design is awful, so awful that i dont think that i'll get one.

The Following User Says Thank You to milanjakob For This Useful Post:
Posts: 498 | Thanked: 836 times | Joined on Jun 2012 @ Finland
Originally Posted by ibins View Post
Already sent them 100 Euros.

WTH is it with everybody wanting to know the exact specs? Why is it really so incredibly important to know the used SoC, its clocking, the amount of RAM, the size of the battery? Users of the N900 will definitelly get upgraded (which is not that hard comming from 256MByte RAM and 600 MHz Soc). Users of the N9 most likely will not become downgraded given that Jolla uses a dual core SoC. Are the given infos about storage space, HD display, display size not enough? Is it really a no go if there is only 1GByte RAM? Looking at the pictures also reveales, that there is no second USB port, battery capacity for half a month, epaper back or fancy laser keyboard.

Consumers should get a smooth running device. After all the software is not Android - which performance can be compared on different hardware using exactly Android version x.y.z.

Especially developers should not care that much about the exact CPU speed. Most programs should be created to perform well even on lower hardware specs - like N950 or N9.

I guess this phone is not about the competition race of Hz and Bytes ("mine is longer than yours").

I 100% agree with this!

Placed my order as soon as it was possible. I already know that the phone is probably too big for my liking, but I am ordering the phone to support their cause and ideals. I want to believe in their OS and support it and have liked what I have seen so far. Yes, despite the presentation .

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Boxeri For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
LOL, disagree 100%

Do you sending $399 to the supermarket and let them decided what food you get? You just: I don't have any food at home so anything is better than nothing.

When you are buying a new car, do you pay a price and let the car manufacture decided what color, engine and model you get just becouse you driving 15 years old skoda atm. You just: WTF it will be an upgrade anyway.

Stupidest post I read in a long time.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2013-05-21 at 12:55.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,716 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
You know, that "Other Half" keyboard (who knows if it ever comes out), just reminds me of an old project of mine: Project N955

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
LOL, disagree 100%

Do you sending $399 to the supermarket and let them decided what food you get? You just: I don't have any food at home so anything is better than nothing.

When you are buying a new car, do you pay a price and let the car manufacture decided what color, engine and model you get just becouse you driving 15 years old skoda atm. You just: WTF it will be an upgrade anyway.

This is what idiots like me did by pre-ordering:
Crowdsourcing

Here's really big site full of stupidest ideas ever (really big indeed and helluva lot more of idiots doing the stupidest idea ever):
http://www.kickstarter.com/

And here's the crowd sourcing outfit Jolla is using (handles the infrastucrture behind pre-orders):
https://www.invesdor.com/

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Posts: 559 | Thanked: 1,017 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
LOL, disagree 100%

When I go to a really good restaurant (and I mean really good) I actually happily pay something around 200-300€ and eat and drink what is offered by the chef.

However, I have not yet ordered the Jolla phone because I want to know more about the phone. It is not about the CPU, GPU or display I am uncertain about: it is The Other Half. I want to know more about the specifications of it: what can be implemented hardware wise? How will the software handle for example HWKB if one is attached as The Other Half? I also will need to know more about the software: is there for example support for (at least) two Excange accounts (DEALBREAKER for me)? Is there a good mapping solution available?

And so on...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OVK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Sunny Bedfordshire
I've pre-ordered "The Other Half" too.

I consider it an investment in the future of mobile telephony - not paying for something I haven't seen yet.

As for specs - 4.5" screen, dual core CPU, 2/3/4G connectivity etc... the basics on the Jolla site if you look. I guess there will be tweaks before the final production units are ready to go out.

I'm looking forward to getting my Jolla phone as my N9 will be quite tired by the time it's delivered! - Just like my N900 was before the N9 arrived.

Now my N9 has those awful lost messages/contact/gallery issues again..... more digging inside the machine to sort it out.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to R59 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 896 | Thanked: 978 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Greece, Athens
Undecided!

I need more info on its camera capabilities, battery capabilities, phone and (most importantly imo) music quality through headphones.

The Following User Says Thank You to HELLASISGREECE For This Useful Post:
Posts: 337 | Thanked: 891 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Royaume Uni.
Originally Posted by Boxeri View Post
I 100% agree with this!

Placed my order as soon as it was possible. I already know that the phone is probably too big for my liking, but I am ordering the phone to support their cause and ideals. I want to believe in their OS and support it and have liked what I have seen so far. Yes, despite the presentation .
Originally Posted by Boxeri View Post
I 100% agree with this!

+1

I am paying for the Meego OS, not the hardware, which as the N9 has shown only doesn't even need to be spectacular.

If you look around, it's not like the community has that many alternatives. Android ticks a lot of boxes, but it will never offer true Linux computing. iOS/Windows Phone - I don't even want to think of those devices. Blackberry 10 is basically a crippled version of Meego. FirefoxOS only seems interested in web apps - which I don't believe have a future. Ubuntu is basically an Android variant and I don't trust Canonical at all. Tizen looks kind of interesting, but you can be sure that Samsung will find some way to cripple the OS, assuming they ever get around to releasing a device.

Jolla is clearly the best of the lot. We can't all wait forever stroking an N900 (certainly not if the charging port is broken like on mine!).

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to NokiaFanatic For This Useful Post:
Last week I accidentally sent my N900 flying . Luckily the bezel took most of the impact and saved my screen. Everything still works... I think. Once the shock subsided I quickly realised that I'll be needing a new device sometime soon.

Hardware is a fairly high priority. Things like earpiece and microphone quality, headphone jack, camera quality. Maybe they can come up with an 'other-half' that has a camera lens cover (imo one of the smartest hardware design features of the N900). Nokia was typically the best when it came to things like call clarity and quality, so this will be hard to match.

I'm not completely sold on the modular design. The connectors / clips for snap-on things tend to get worn and lose their effectiveness after repeated snapping... but I haven't seen the details of this design. As for HWKB... perhaps a snap-on / slide out would work!? Fooling around on/off with an 'other-half' every time I need to write an email is out of the question.

So I guess the Jolla device is a top contender for a year-end purchase. Hopefully the hardware developments will be compelling.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kriek For This Useful Post:

Tags
fanboy, gy_wp_sy, jolla, jolla phone, theoclueless, theotool