Active Topics

Originally Posted by igguk1 View Post
I knew I was going to get some beating when I wrote about the true openness Sailfish and more so here.

Look in all I am very happy this is happening now and I am looking forward for them to succeed, as I see it this can only benefit people who is favoring the open-source movement. I like also how they are promoting Qt as for development toolkit
I am just a bit worried as to why the Jolla team does not openly discuss what are their future plans for open-sourcing the closed parts… the UX and the drivers, I understand they might not be able to do so now because being a small company on a Shark territory they might lose some competitive advantage, but still they could openly discuss if they plan to do so at some point in the future.
Would everybody here for instance be happy knowing that the closed parts will remain like so forever? I know my answer.

When I said Android is more open than Sailfish now is because it is, heck even somebody skilled enough could cook their own ROM, all is available there and for instance Ubuntu people are taking advantage of it, and yes you can have a terminal on it if you wish don’t forget it’s based still on a linux core , please don’t tell me about Google evil company I know about it don’t like it either… but is not the matter we are discussing here.

That’s all that I wanted to say and I know that while I will get again a beating here, I am voicing also some concerns that maybe a small part of this forums has.
As I don’t want to start a war here about this, this will be my last comment on it I will just continue to read the forums and Jolla news and probably will get the phone when released.

I said in the post before that the hardware does not appeal to me (that was bound to happen with the resources they have) but I forgot to add that I like very much what I see about the Os's and that if well executed which is a very big If "the Other half" idea may be the disrupting thing Elop was chasing years ago...
anybody can freely create there own mer image, just like anyone can create there own android build. think of the Jolla mobile as a skin like sense. But it does a miles better job and is actually wanted by the users.

Originally Posted by jalyst View Post

>5" & a attachable/modular keyb? No thanks.
Why not?
111 x 73 x 8.5 mm dimensions.

Add in a thin hardware keyboard that "clicks" on one side of the device's backside. It stays firmly hooked, is static (non-slider/non-adjustable).The keyboard measuring the same length, but smaller width and a thin profile. Something like 111 x 63 x 4.5 mm

When not in use, the keyboard can be turned the other way so that it clips with the keyboard facing "in" to be a single unit with your phone. That brings the total dimensions of the phone with the keyboard closed to 111 x 73 (slightly larger than SGS3) x 13mm (about as thin as the Droid 3).

Maybe not those exact dimensions/figures... but you get the idea.

I'm flattered

Last edited by Kangal; 2013-05-21 at 10:54.

Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
I would love to see the next jolla device with keyboard. I'm not to fund of the idea of attachable keyboard.

Hope some 3pty android device manufacturer joins the boat and launching a slick keyboard device.
that will be (for Jolla) the same story then ANDroid (for Google)
an OEM manufacturer selling successfully some device will mean no (or at best little) success for Jolla.
well, they built their business model with that in mind, so hopefully they have thought of a way to profit from it
not providing images for 3rd party devices (N9/50 come to mind) or the SDK with ARM support may be with that in mind.
they want to make sure OEMs have to pay them some royalty to get code.
however that is supposed to work out in the end with FOSS

how was it w/ Maemo / MeeGo?
the images were not FOSS, thus a 3rd party OEM would have had to rebuild the whole OS based on repository contend + rewrite all the drivers.
not impossible, but more trouble then a cheap manufacturer may want (or would even be able to) deal with
see NITroid...
i'm not saying e-yes is cheap or so on the contrary, he is technically brilliant, but still... NITDroid doesn't work smoothly, if at all.

Regarding that hardware-keyboard it's supposed to exist at one point. At least from the technical possibility citing Dillon on techcrunch:

“Of course we will be offering a choice of Other Halves for the user to buy but this is a place where we want to see others get involved. Designers can design Other Halves for the device, engineers or hackers or techies can design new interfaces and maybe add physical hardware features that they wish they had on their device but might have a smaller market than to deserve having a whole entire device,”

http://techcrunch.com/2013/05/20/jollas-other-half/

Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
Why not?
111 x 73 x 8.5 mm dimensions.

Add in a thin hardware keyboard that "clicks" on one side of the device's backside. It stays firmly hooked, is static (non-slider/non-adjustable).The keyboard measuring the same length, but smaller width and a thin profile. Something like 111 x 63 x 4.5 mm

When not in use, the keyboard can be turned the other way so that it clips with the keyboard facing "in" to be a single unit with your phone. That brings the total dimensions of the phone with the keyboard closed to 111 x 73 (slightly larger than SGS3) x 13mm (about as thin as the Droid 3).

Maybe not those exact dimensions/figures... but you get the idea.
how do you see what you are typing if the keyboard keys are ON THE BACK of the device only?
explain.
a drawing says more then thousand words...

got it, looked @ the amazon cr@p
no go, can't walk or even only stand & type at the same time
worthless

Posts: 548 | Thanked: 562 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by RX-51 View Post
Regarding that hardware-keyboard it's supposed to exist at one point. At least from the technical possibility citing Dillon on techcrunch:

“Of course we will be offering a choice of Other Halves for the user to buy but this is a place where we want to see others get involved. Designers can design Other Halves for the device, engineers or hackers or techies can design new interfaces and maybe add physical hardware features that they wish they had on their device but might have a smaller market than to deserve having a whole entire device,”

http://techcrunch.com/2013/05/20/jollas-other-half/
To be able to design 'other hafls'' we have at least to know how this 'magic backcovers' are working...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to willi6868 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 594 | Thanked: 1,094 times | Joined on Aug 2012 @ Rhine

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Leinad For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ZogG View Post
afaik China is not in preorder country list. I tried to pre-order and got answer that it doesn't ship in my country
sorry to hear / read that
could be b/c of "tax aspect"

the real, legal consumption taxes (the €399.- price is including taxes, so if they were offering items in different tax zones, they'd have to either provide it free of taxes (for export) or... create a distribution organization, something they are probably not ready to challange at this stage (?)

then their is the "cost of living" aspect
€400 may seem a fair price for a mobile devices but there are countries where this is a fortune, literally
a lot more then what households live from, every month
well, that's an extreme example. but still, you get the idea
works the other way around as well... in some countries €400.- is a joke.

no company can handle that from one site; they would need to have sites for many different countries, with shipping constraints and what not.

those outside of the EU tax / price area will probably have to wait for network providers to pick the Jolla device up
as it seems to already be the case in China

Originally Posted by misterc View Post
how do you see what you are typing if the keyboard keys are ON THE BACK of the device only?
explain.
a drawing says more then thousand words...

got it, looked @ the amazon cr@p
no go, can't walk or even only stand & type at the same time
worthless
Lol, no.
As I said the peripheral (ie hwkbd) attaches to the back... ITS NOT FACING BACK.
It faces forwards (upwards) and "outwards" from the device.

Its has some special/proprietary clips which also acts as the HOST connection.

The fact that the peripheral is symmetrical, means the "left clips" will attach to the "right holes" as the "right clips" attach to the "left holes".
This means the peripheral will always face forwards (upwards) but can also face "inwards" to the device. Hence, the peripheral would get tucked in underneath the phone.

A keyboard is one example. You could use the same concept for other ideas too like extended battery, a gamepad, or even a second screen.

Nothing too complicated, just smart designs.
Here's a 10min picture from paint, its not perfect but illustrates my point:

I'm flattered

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Posts: 470 | Thanked: 173 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Melb
Thought I'd create this so we can all start trying to get our heads around what "The Other Half" really means for us, the users.

These are both quotes from an interview by PocketNow with Marc Dillon:

Then you come to even more complex options as well. The most interesting thing to me personally is that with other products you have ways to extend them by plugging things in, where as with Jolla devices you may snap on a cover that adds other functionality. For example, if you’re going to a club you might want to snap on a back that has a big flash and maybe a big camera button or something. You might also want additional battery capacity, and you may also use a cover with at thin battery to bring that functionality. The sky is the limit and we’re open for collaboration and ideas here, and these interfaces and features will be open to third parties to allow them to create other apps and features for Jolla.
P: I’m sure you’re aware that one of the biggest other-half possibilities we’ve heard, on Twitter and in comments, is one that supports a physical QWERTY keyboard. Is that a possibility?

MD: I have a big smile on my face! The sky is the limit, and the imagination is the limit for what can be done with the other-half.
Which is interesting, but what does it show?

To me, it's seeming like this is basically a deeper implementation of the age-old ipod connector. Which would imply that anything that could work through one of those should work here.

Some key things I think are crucial for this to be genuinely successful:
How cheap/hard are covers to produce?
Can they be made to be disposable?

And most importantly to me:
Can I use the phone normally with no cover, and just put one on when I need to?
What does the phone actually look like underneath?

Potential use cases:
Live performance/movies, require a special no-photo case or your phone needs to be left at the door.
FMTX, or even better, integrates directly with vehicle head unit, also useful because the phone would effectively become the faceplate (the removable part to deter theft)
Enables true work + home functionality, at work you change cover to a productive suite (effectively different phone) when you return home, you can change it back and get back to googling cats

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to optimaxxx For This Useful Post:

Tags
"pretty soon", funniest line, jolla, pipo party, sailfish, tmo red