I've yet to come across a demo of Android running on Sailfish. Happy to be proven wrong, but it does seem strange that such an integral part of Jolla's ecosystem does not get the attention it needs to convince users to switch.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daehoidar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 138 | Thanked: 144 times | Joined on Oct 2012 @ Devon, England
Originally Posted by daehoidar View Post
I've yet to come across a demo of Android running on Sailfish. Happy to be proven wrong, but it does seem strange that such an integral part of Jolla's ecosystem does not get the attention it needs to convince users to switch.
Only been a very quick demo of that so far, in a video linked back a bit.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eztran For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Fawz View Post
He says it almost verbatim in this interview. He also himself mentions examples of use as a bigger flash and bigger battery, so it's not just rumour.

What puzzles me is that they focus *so much* on being able to change the colors when they apparently plan to provide a way to actually change and adapt the hardware components (und thus use cases) of your phone.
That's marketing, they need to keep a few things up in their sleeves and reveal them one by one approaching launch to keep the interest high.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sony123 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Eztran View Post
Only been a very quick demo of that so far, in a video linked back a bit.
Thanks, Eztran. Would've liked a more in depth demo, but hopefully more demos will surface closer to launch date for devices.

UI/UX is slick and smooth, especially with multitasking. Again, I'd like to see it under considerable stress to simulate heavy day to day use.

All in all, looks very promising.

The Following User Says Thank You to daehoidar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 646 | Thanked: 1,124 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Espoo, Finland
I took the 100€ pre-order package.

One thing I noticed in a FAQ at jolla.com/care, regarding The Other Half, is that:
You can expect your t-shirt to be shipped at the end of the Jolla pre-order campaign. Please allow 2 to 4 weeks for shipping from that time. “The Other Half” will ship closer to the actual shipping date of your Jolla phone – we will keep you posted on progress.
So apparently we will have a TOH in our hands to examine it some time before phone launch.

(on the other side, for those who are not 'makers', what are they going to do with TOH without having the phone yet? Me, I'm already warming up the 3D printer )

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to minimos For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
The example they gave with the album during the presentation included a "as well as transferring the songs to your phone", which can't happen via NFC alone. Distributing powered back covers with Bluetooth would be ridiculous so I can safely deduct that there are physical contacts. The flash example is another proof.

Both BB10 phones as well as 808 have physical contacts to the cover if only to enable NFC so mechanically adding 5 more contacts to have full usb shouldn't be an issue.
I've been wondering about this as well... I can't really believe they are being so vague on this (I get the CPU/Screen vagueness, but this is an integral piece of the "other half").

In the pictures I've noticed the micro-USB and headphone connector are actually located BETWEEN the halves, so maybe the connection goes through there somewhere, which would lead me to believe that you couldn't use only the screen part by itself. Honestly, though, the "other halves" they've showed till now look to be simple plastic back covers, so I don't know.

/Speculation

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zlatokosi For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
I have not seen any interview where he actually CONFIRMS it REALLY is possible with external battery. on he pressevent hje just talked bout change color etc to favourite artist etc...
But he has.

Then you come to even more complex options as well. The most interesting thing to me personally is that with other products you have ways to extend them by plugging things in, where as with Jolla devices you may snap on a cover that adds other functionality. For example, if you’re going to a club you might want to snap on a back that has a big flash and maybe a big camera button or something. You might also want additional battery capacity, and you may also use a cover with at thin battery to bring that functionality. The sky is the limit and we’re open for collaboration and ideas here, and these interfaces and features will be open to third parties to allow them to create other apps and features for Jolla.

Call it speculation, but to me it seems that kind of functionality is next to impossible to do without any physical connectors to phone.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JulmaHerra For This Useful Post:
Posts: 548 | Thanked: 562 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Germany
New Handset Demo: http://jollatides.com/2013/05/21/new...set-full-demo/

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to willi6868 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 455 | Thanked: 782 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by Win7Mac View Post
If something like this was introduced to next iphone, everybody'd go crazy about it. Not only because of battery or HWKB...
No they wouldn't, apart from maybe a few tech blogs - Apple attracts a whole different crowd which values simplicity and design above all things - and you can't beat unibody at those points. Do you honestly think that an average iPhone user would even dare to change covers when even proper multitasking appear threatening to him/her?

Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Why do you think HW drivers are so difficult to open? The chip/module vendors should have nothing against that, since the use of the drivers implies the use of the respective HW blocks, which implies higher sales for the said HW blocks.
Go tell that to Nvidia and AMD and a slew of other hardware manufacturers that are making our lives in the Linux userland quite difficult for decades now. These days hardware relies on software hooks much more than it ever had and putting the software in the open lowers competitiveness of many manufacturers. Pair that with the fact that from the software itself you can find out a lot about the underlying architecture and you get to a point where hardware manufacturers are very reluctant on releasing drivers and interface specs for their hardware.

Sadly, I don't see that changing anytime soon...

Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
That IMHO looks more of a TODO sort of a thing - they are still deciding how to expose the 9+ running apps (a shelf, folder, more desktops, just show them, etc.).
IMO, a horizontal edge swipe to get the next 'page' with 4x4 or 3x3 grid would be the best solution. They are not using any horizontal gestures on the home screen so that would come naturally. The thing is - would it be intuitive enough for the users?

Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
Both BB10 phones as well as 808 have physical contacts to the cover if only to enable NFC so mechanically adding 5 more contacts to have full usb shouldn't be an issue.
And that's exactly how they should do it - expose a proper USB interface and let the 3rd party manufacturers provide it with additional options you cannot think of at the moment. It doesn't have to impair on the device's natural USB function as well - for example SMSC's USB3503 host is dirt cheap and small enough not to cause any problems and it could provide the device with three proper USB2.0 ports, one of them reserved for the cover.

I don't think that at this point Jolla have enough strength to introduce a proprietary interface for that, so a proper USB2.0 interface would be perfect and if cleverly designed could let our imagination run wild. It all depends how serious are they with that 'Other Half' thingie...

Next on the list (if we are to go modular): swappable camera module and a proper hardware extension port with full system bus access and speed.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to zwer For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
Originally Posted by daehoidar View Post
well, BB played on the same card and it didn't turn out to be so good. Their market is flooded with android ports and only the simple apps perform decent. More complex one are mostly unusable. And the worst thing is that there's no way to list only native apps (in that case 120 000 wuold become something like 120. Even skype is android port and it performs lousy.
I really hope that this ACL or whatewer it is called can be uninstalled or at least that apps in the store will be separated.
Ther's over half a billion android devices and less than a thousand apps has been installed on more than 5 million devices. That's 1% of total number of devices.
Choice is good. Chice is great. But if I have to dig through tons of garbage to find something usefull then it's not so great anymore. It's frustrating. No one is going to try all 1000+ calculator apps to find the best one. Or weather apps. Or all angry birds clones. Or.....
Some special apps can only be developed by the companies that provide services for them and that is something jolla should think about and talk with them.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:

Tags
"pretty soon", funniest line, jolla, pipo party, sailfish, tmo red