Active Topics

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Wish this discussion could've been initiated here, but, at least it's got some life about it, so ultimately it doesn't matter so much.
What's with the sub-forum name? "Jolla The Other Half" The Jolla or Jolla is what they're calling their 1st phone, so that's what the sub-forum should be called.
Some great ideas here so far, it'd be great if we could formally present it to them* in a condensed form eventually...

*on behalf of the Maemo/HF community

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-05-27 at 03:22.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 434 | Thanked: 990 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Australia
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Wish this discussion could've been initiated here, but, at least it's got some life about it, so ultimately it doesn't matter so much.
What's with the sub-forum name? "Jolla The Other Half" The Jolla or Jolla is what they're calling their 1st phone, so that's what the sub-forum should be called.
Some great ideas here so far, it'd be great if we could formally present it to them* in a condensed form eventually...

*on behalf of the Maemo/HF community
I've been in touch with Jolla about feedback and channels.
they have no plans right now to establish a forum and are happy with keeping things organic and letting the broader "community" look after things.
Certainly, restructuring TMO to provide dedicated software and hardware sub-forums will better enable anyone who might be checking in to see what is happening.

Posts on Twitter are directing community to this thread to discuss and put forward ideas. Jolla are aware of this.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to onethreealpha For This Useful Post:
Personally, I think the "other half" is meaningless and a spasmodic attempt to be different.
I use a N9 and am totally happy with it, of the hardware Jolla I'm disappointed.

Originally Posted by onethreealpha View Post
I've been in touch with Jolla about feedback and channels.
Same here, many times, responses have been vague at best....

They have no plans right now to establish a forum and are happy with keeping things organic and letting the broader "community" look after things.
That's the thing, they invite us to participate, as though our engagement's very important, yet so far there's been little sign that they're engaged in the whole process at all.
N.B. I'm not referring to this (very recent) initiative of yours, I hope things evolve differently...

Certainly, restructuring TMO to provide dedicated software and hardware sub-forums will better enable anyone who might be checking in to see what is happening.
Agreed, just a short while ago, there was resistance from admins to do what they have in fact recently done.
But I wasn't questioning the basic structure, just the title of the actual sub-forum, it's a bit odd...

Posts on Twitter are directing community to this thread to discuss and put forward ideas. Jolla are aware of this.
If there's zero engagement, then we'll never know if they're actively monitoring, OR doing some internal brainstorming only, & just "paying lip service" to the community input thing.
But to assume the latter & hence do nothing is probably worse, so it's best that we at least do something, infuriating as it may sometimes be.
The only reason I ask if we're eventually going to condense & formally present the info, is because that's what they've typically asked for previously.
That's typically been their requirement before they will consider absorbing the info. & (possibly) engaging to some degree.

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-05-27 at 07:33. Reason: typo

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
So before this thread goes tl;dr, what do you think about making a wiki page from it - discussion still could take place here while the actually essential information (a sorted list of ideas) was easily accessible!?

Kind regards,

Sarah

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to low For This Useful Post:
ATSC receiver 'other-half' for North America and other countries that have deployed the A/153 mobile/handheld DTV standard.

Perhaps a good opportunity to take the lead in a fairly new and emerging DTV handheld market.

Last edited by Kriek; 2013-05-27 at 08:54.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kriek For This Useful Post:
Keyboard slider, obviously, with an active stylus for glove weather usage. Pressure sensitive tip. If necessary considering the limitations of the existing first half's screen, the corners of the non-sliding part of the other half could be used for calibration coordinates. Would be low accuracy, but still more accurate than a frozen finger.

The Following User Says Thank You to volt For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by low View Post
So before this thread goes tl;dr, what do you think about making a wiki page from it - discussion still could take place here while the actually essential information (a sorted list of ideas) was easily accessible!?
That's what I'm talking about (well, partly), similar to this thread...
I'll be activating 2 fresh GDocs for that thread soon, as last time, in the Qns/Ideas doc there'll be a hardware sub-section, which is likely to be broken down further into a "the Other Half" section.
Like last time, I'll make it universally accessible for a time, & then eventually lock-it-down to just a few editors, folks are welcome to dump their more condensed input there if they wish?*
As/if we get feedback from Sailfish(Jolla) people, it can be moved to the Maemo wiki, or even moved regardless, LT as Jolla opens up their sites more, it could be moved to a Jolla or Sailfish wiki.

*like last time, it'll probably have to be further condensed & re-organised by some folk willing to help with that

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-05-27 at 08:01.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
That's what I'm talking about (well, partly), similar to this thread...
I'll be activating 2 fresh GDocs for that thread soon, as last time, in the Qns/Ideas doc there'll be a hardware sub-section, which is likely (...)
Well, I'm all for keeping it here in the wiki since if it's moved to GDocs and back it's like double the work?

Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
This phone is so thin. I don't intend to drag along a bag of 2nd halfs.

For all I am concerned, make it a "two thirds" pack(s) with better camera, HW KB, battery geiger counter, independant router / wifi access point / file sharing box / portable web server., vaccuum cleaner

FM tx, IR tx/fx .. I need too but there is no excuse not to include it in the 1st half (or primary 3rd part).

Tags
half-assed?, irfmtransceiver, jolla, the other half, voting for nemo