Active Topics

Closed Thread
Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
Who deleted my suggestions?
Me! I was just lazy, do you want me to edit (instead of deleting it) the lastone this time? Or do you stop the rant yourself? This thread is not about pointing fingers - we all know that you like WP even more than your mother and that you think Maemo is a waste of time so why bother? You could write "You know my opinion!" by now to get people jump you... Write what you "like" to see... I am pretty fed with you by now and I am much more calm than people like me to be. So surprise me with intelligence and community heart!

I don't go into WP or Droid forums and start fighting about their BS operating systems and I know android/JB for a month now and already like to imaging managing google developers drowning or spill jetfuel over them and say "have a nice day" while flicking a lit match at them...

back to topic
so a burn'a'droid app would be nice!

EDIT: this kind of thread is started every time we get something new... with the same results with the same rants just different people as the lads from last time learned their lessons

Last edited by chemist; 2013-05-29 at 14:09.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to chemist For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by onethreealpha View Post
request for clarification...
I'll try... no promises.

I understand you point about limiting apps, however I started this thread to assist Jolla in identifying the sort of things people want to see.
Since they're using MeeGo, you'd have to assume that they would see how folks were applauding the integration of communication (Skype especially), social media (Twitter in notifications? Genius) and alerts - from the standby screen to the notifications screen. That level of integration can/should be seen as only the start. That's one part of my statements... I want that but with updated protocols and social media (App.net for instance).

A lot of the services you've mentioned are entirely relevant and would be expected/hoped for as a matter of course.
One would hope so.

would you prefer stand alone apps or functionality that integrates these services?
Integrated would be fine with me. But stand alone apps make the user experience too "me too" in my opinion.

I want to ensure I'm putting this in the right list, as my first reaction would be to list this as functionality... PM if you prefer
PM or BBM. Either way, I'm hopeful I clarified my position but willing to explain further if need be. But I would love to see them take the experience on my N9 and extend it. A better e-mail client and experience... Twitter + App.net + Skype (w/ video) + Google Hangouts (w/ video) + Google Calendar + Dropbox integration or personal cloud integration.

That integration from day one or in an upcoming upgrade would seal the deal for me. But that's a lot of ecosystems to traverse and integrate.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by chemist View Post
Me! I was just lazy, do you want me to edit (instead of deleting it) the lastone this time? Or do you stop the rant yourself? This thread is not about pointing fingers - we all know that you like WP even more than your mother and that you think Maemo is a waste of time so why bother? You could write "You know my opinion!" by now to get people jump you... Write what you "like" to see... I am pretty fed with you by now and I am much more calm than people like me to be. So surprise me with intelligence and community heart!

I don't go into WP or Droid forums and start fighting about their BS operating systems and I know android/JB for a month now and already like to imaging managing google developers drowning or spill jetfuel over them and say "have a nice day" while flicking a lit match at them...

EDIT: this kind of thread is started every time we get something new... with the same results with the same rants just different people as the lads from last time learned their lessons

As a previous owner of N9 and N900, I am pointing out what applications are necessary to work smoothly at the baseline for the masses to love it. By not criticizing what was obviously wrong, no one will move forward. I suspect you are a little bit mentally unstable, and I suggest you give up the power, who ever gave it to you, to delete factual threads. Your response shows immaturity and fanboyism that will not help anyone.

Your response shows immaturity and fanboyism that will not help anyone.
Pot? Kettle? Being a fan of something isn't that bad of a thing - it's allowed. Your fandom is allowed, no? As is mine - which is pretty much all over the place.

Anyway, just keep it to conversation. Not attacks. Or personal agendas.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Pot? Kettle? Being a fan of something isn't that bad of a thing - it's allowed. Your fandom is allowed, no? As is mine - which is pretty much all over the place.

Anyway, just keep it to conversation. Not attacks. Or personal agendas.
Gerb, address this with chemist. Thank you.

Gerb, address this with chemist. Thank you.
I get your point; now please get mine. If nothing was incendiary in the post(s), the edits would have not been done. Regardless, this is my last time addressing anything on this subject as it's not Sailfish OS, Jolla or anything as such related.

Originally Posted by bandora View Post
Simple answet for that.. Because none of them know anything about those protocols and won't bother to setup anything like that just so thry can talk to me.. Because it's also too "complicated" for them.. You do understand that the majority of people aren't as tech savvy as you and I..

Anyways ur right it's getting out of hand with the off-topic this was my last about this particular subject..

EDIT:

My point exactly ..
Originally Posted by chemist View Post
You guys are aware that whatsapp is tool for it's company seeking for phonebooks, complete userdata, like including addresses, email and birthdays is what they want. Jabber/XMPP was behind most or even close to all new garbage msg apps... they use what is already there... we should start msg.maemo.org and jump the bandwagon.

@bandora ... "you install skype, you register for skype, you login, you add friends, you call"
"you install a jabber client, you register a jabber account, you login, you add friends, you call"
What is the difference? - One is a company reading your texts (they ping any https URL you write btw) and listening to your calls, one is an admin respecting your privacy...

you are here on a tech savvy forum... XMPP is the protocol behind jabber, facebook-chat and many others - used to be googleTalk yada yada yada (bad tongues say skype uses the code as well) don't know about whatsapp but I doubt it is not XMPP

even n900's yet old jabber client supports voip... we tried it 4-5 days after we got our devices...

Skype on a phone is nice to have but skype's netcode is so bad that it is a real battery drainer...

See continued discussion here, to avoid the involved off-topic in this thread: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90253

Last edited by shmerl; 2013-05-29 at 16:30.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 509 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Mexico/Germany
For my id like to have as part from Sailfish-OS, not as an App

1. VPN IPSEC Support for VPN-Accesspoint to my Router Fritz!Box (like in Nokia E71)
2. OS-Encryption + SD-Encryption (like in Nokia E71)

I had it on my Nokia E71. Was the best Symbian Phone i had. The E72 was one step back (bad Sip-Support)
The N9 never had VPN-Support nor Encryption as part from Meego.

Anyway for now my N9 is my best Phone (the E71 is still my Backup)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chilango For This Useful Post:
Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
1. Systemwide fonts have to be built in. N9 was a step backward from N900.
2. IM lacked automatic change ij away status and ability to adjust it.
3. Both N9 and N900 would be unresponsive when charging.
4. Keyboard was not good, and I kept hitting period all the time incidentally.
5. Text correction and prediction for English was awful. Text input has to be perfect as everyone is uses to other smooth OSs.
6. GPS was a joke as well as navigation, needs huge update.
7. Web browser like microb on n900 was great,compete disaster on N9
8. Cloud back up and storage needed. Dropbox needed.
9. N9 had the worst ever email client I used. Needs a complete revamp. Look at WP8 for inspiration.
1. yeah a nice to have and not a must have...
2. might be needed but most of the time on-offline are enough states to be automated, even though people think others are important... like away... if you are gone go offline!
3. N900 never did that to me after some of the PRs, N9 does it only on one wallcharger I have and that is a design flaw and not a software issue...
4. lol wurstfingers
5. like iphone autocompletion where I get most of the time unreadable text
6. wfm, supl.nokia.com might be your problem... change to something else
7. you should reconsider your facts
8. you definetely need to reconsider... linux phones need linux solutions not some garbage cloud service you should not trust one of them... 3rd party clouds are a security risk
9. you never used android or iphone did you?

you want your garbage stay and tell me off as insane, you can have that in public if you want to. (I know this is troll feeding and I should punish myself for that... if anyone has a problem with me needing blow off some steam let me know please)

Last edited by chemist; 2013-05-29 at 17:22.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chemist For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
Why isn't it acceptable? Not everyone needs MS spyware on their devices. Having such option for those who really need it for some reason is OK, but "not acceptable for a phone" sounds a bit stretched, when Skype isn't exactly known to be user friendly.

Sorry for going off-topic, but this was standing out.
Exactly my idea. In 2009 I would have written not acceptable but today such a defense of Skype has grown more unacceptable.

On my favorite devices I saw Skype evolve:

-Announce strategic partnership with Nokia to preload skype on high end Nokia's (Barcelona 2009)
-full video call in 2010 (N900)
-no more video call in 2011 (N9)
-Microsoft Spyware in 2012 with less love to be expected for other platforms if and once WP gets more powerful

(lets not talk about the fun Skype adds on PC that are supposed to "stimulate meaningful conversations about the products between family and friends")

-Meanwhile Skype can help microsoft to match your credit card identity with Bing searches, your email identity, maps location and what else. Don't give it to them without a fight. It is your right and that of every internet user to get paid for the valuable dots of information you allow them to connect. A free calling service is not enough as payment because there are alternatives that don't spy on you.

My advice is: demand for XMPP, dump Skype quickly (I am working on it).

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
applications, fm transmiter, infrared led, sailfish