Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
I also use gmail, but combined with offlineimap and dovecot, so that both modest and alpine only ever talk to dovecot.

So far I have never noticed any problem such as the one reported here.

Note that the "Message (title) not available on the server" as reported on the first post happens (AFAIK) when you are too quickly notified of a new message (e.g. with Nokia Messaging, which I used for a long time in the past) and *then* Google applies whatever filter it makes it move to another folder. When modest then tries to fetch the message, it's not there anymore.

Posts: 1,236 | Thanked: 1,278 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Balochistan
no problem here. checked few emails on my gmail account and i haven't faced any problem.

Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
Originally Posted by independent View Post
Every single email! It's completely unusable for me.
Can you post your log? You can get it by

Code:
export CAMEL_DEBUG="all"
maemo-summoner /usr/bin/modest -s
We need to find, what's common for all the ppl with the problem.

Any modest devs here? Maybe they'd know anything...

Projects no longer actively developed: here

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
We need to find, what's common for all the ppl with the problem.

Any modest devs here? Maybe they'd know anything...
Once there is any clue what happens, I guess we'll find developers to fix the bug. If it is in modest.

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900
Nothing is impossible - Stable thumb2 on n900

Community SSU developer
kernel-power developer and maintainer

The Following User Says Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
Once there is any clue what happens, I guess we'll find developers to fix the bug. If it is in modest.
But, we know more or less what happens. The message is fetched and right then an error. The problem is: is it gmail's or modest's problem. Anyway, google won't give a damn to fix it for N900, so the maemo devs will have to fix it nevertheless :P

Projects no longer actively developed: here

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Aha!!! I've just received a message from Marmistrz that exhibits the problem in my copy of Modest. I'm personally betting that the problem lies in the truly enormous ID string being used for the message:

Message-ID: <CANaCrST0DBGwq7i5iP--aek15eqrRpY-YQ8a0eawo2XVBTzdwA@mail.gmail.com>

I think there's something like 66 characters all told in that ID, if I counted right.

EDIT: Drat, I've got another message with the same size ID, and that one has no problems, so it can't be the raw size. That one doesn't have any dashes in the ID, though... I'll check the rest of the header for anything suspicious.

EDIT 2: I've just noticed that a message from maemo.org earlier this morning also triggers the error. Checking the log, I just see a message like Marmistrz had on the first page of this thread...

EDIT 3: From the log, I'm getting the following sequence:

Code:
sending : C00000 CAPABILITY
received: * CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 UNSELECT IDLE NAMESPACE QUOTA ID XLIST CHILDREN X-GM-EXT-1 XYZZY SASL-IR AUTH=XOAUTH AUTH=XOAUTH2
received: C00000 OK Thats all she wrote! m8if529565ibg.26
sending : C00001 LOGIN xxx xxx
received: * CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 UNSELECT IDLE NAMESPACE QUOTA ID XLIST CHILDREN X-GM-EXT-1 UIDPLUS COMPRESS=DEFLATE ENABLE MOVE CONDSTORE ESEARCH
received: C00001 OK jpietrzak8@gmail.com John Pietrzak authenticated (Success)
sending : C00002 CAPABILITY
received: * CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 UNSELECT IDLE NAMESPACE QUOTA ID XLIST CHILDREN X-GM-EXT-1 UIDPLUS COMPRESS=DEFLATE ENABLE MOVE CONDSTORE ESEARCH
received: C00002 OK Success
sending : C00003 ENABLE CONDSTORE
received: * ENABLED CONDSTORE
received: C00003 OK Success
sending : C00004 NAMESPACE
received: * NAMESPACE (("" "/")) NIL NIL
received: C00004 OK Success
sending : C00005 SELECT INBOX (CONDSTORE)
received: * FLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Draft \Deleted \Seen Junk NonJunk $Forwarded $MDNSent)
received: * OK [PERMANENTFLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Draft \Deleted \Seen Junk NonJunk $Forwarded $MDNSent \*)] Flags permitted.
received: * OK [UIDVALIDITY 3] UIDs valid.
received: * 287 EXISTS
received: * 0 RECENT
received: * OK [UIDNEXT 353] Predicted next UID.
received: * OK [HIGHESTMODSEQ 277626]
received: C00005 OK [READ-WRITE] INBOX selected. (Success)
sending : C00006 NOOP
received: C00006 OK Success
sending : C00007 UID FETCH 352 BODY.PEEK[]
After which the full body of message 352 comes down. But, after that, comes this log item:

Code:
received: C00007 OK Success
CamelException.setv(0x43f9ad48, 109, 'Message with UID 352 does not exists')
So, not sure what is going on here...

EDIT 4: Ok, here we go. As of about noon today, my copy of Modest on my main N900 began exhibiting the bad behavior after receiving a particular message from Marmistrz. Since then, every message that had not been previously stored on my N900 comes up with the error message "does not exists". In short, my Gmail connection in Modest has been hosed.

However, if I use Modest on my second N900 (and carefully avoid loading any of Marmistrz' messages), everything works fine; I can download new messages off of Gmail with no problem.

Thus, I'd have to say that something buggy is going on in Modest itself, something to do with parsing a particular message...

Last edited by Copernicus; 2013-06-11 at 20:11. Reason: Log info

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
But, we know more or less what happens. The message is fetched and right then an error. The problem is: is it gmail's or modest's problem. Anyway, google won't give a damn to fix it for N900, so the maemo devs will have to fix it nevertheless :P
May I have a message from you too?

ivo.g.dimitrov.75 at gmail.com

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900

Community SSU developer

The Following User Says Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 310 | Thanked: 202 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Ireland
@freemangordon.
I've sent you a forward of an email which gives me the message "message 'subject' not available on server. I also sent and email to myself with just the word test in the subject field which did the same thing as have all mails since 8th of June.
Hope you can help.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to king Ralphred For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by king Ralphred View Post
@freemangordon.
I've sent you a forward of an email which gives me the message "message 'subject' not available on server. I also sent and email to myself with just the word test in the subject field which did the same thing as have all mails since 8th of June.
Hope you can help.
Thanks, now the problem is reproducible, I'll look into it when I have some spare time.

Community SSU developer

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mekenig View Post
Thankfully, Nokia Messaging is working fine for me sync'ing with my GMail account so I won't have to ditch my N900 because I can't read incoming gmail.com emails.
Little off-topic, but if gmail would change something, to the point of making standards compliant e-mail client unable to read incoming e-mails, I would ditch gmail in a heartbeat, not my device.

Just like tons of people are doing with shitty google talk, which became uncompatible with other jabber networks.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:

Tags
modest, nokia n900