Active Topics

DVD Shrink is my workhorse, but The Austin Powers DVDs seem well-encrypted and I couldn't get a single, playable file w/ correct sound.

I also had a demo version of SlyFox "Any DVD" which can work in the background of any other encoder to aide decryption.

Originally Posted by johenkel View Post
Hi Modred189 :
I am doing it the same way (DVDShrink & NVC) but sometimes NVC takes the wrong audio. I converted ID4 and the last of the 4 parts had the directors commentary audio track on it. Kinda ruins the movie when watching....

Any idea on a setting in NVC on how to select the right audio track?
I looked around but didn't find anything.

johenkel
I ran into this problem a few times too, and I am not sure where the problem is; NVC or DVD shrink. Make sure that you don't de-select any of the English tracks in DVD Shrink.

Transformers took three tries, all on the same settings, so I think it's a bug, not a setting.

I have a novice question on the N800 converter. Can the resolution be changed from 400x224 to a larger height and width?

Originally Posted by Modred189 View Post
I ran into this problem a few times too, and I am not sure where the problem is; NVC or DVD shrink. Make sure that you don't de-select any of the English tracks in DVD Shrink.

Transformers took three tries, all on the same settings, so I think it's a bug, not a setting.
In DVD Shrink, after you open the disk, select re-author, navigate to the movie on the right hand panel, and drag it to the left hand panel, you might see the movie twice, it could be the full screen version as well as the widescreen version, sometimes it will be the uncut version and the theatrical release, you will have to check which one suits your needs. Once you have dragged it to the left hand panel, you will click on the Compression Settings tab and unclick the unwanted languages and subtitles, then resize the picture quality to 50% or less. If you still want to cut the movie credits, under re-authored dvd section there is an icon for the set start/stop frames, click on it and select where you want to start/end the movie. Make sure the output file is an ISO, once it is finished, just drag and drop it to the NVC, I like the default settings, it suits my needs.

I usually deselect all secondary languages when I compress with DVDShrink (unless its German ). But I guess I left the directors commentary in there.
But then - what if I want to leave it in there in case I want to burn the DVD for regular use in a dvd player ? hm?
Guess I need two copies of every movie. I am running out of disc space here - 500GB is not enough.

johenkel

All the movies (few) that I have encoded with nokia video converter, the size of the movie is not full screen. There are black border all around. What am I doing wrong? What should be the screen size to see it full screen? The demo video says resolution of 400x240. I thought the converter would automatically convert the movie to the right size. What am I doing wrong?

Last edited by bamb_i; 2008-01-30 at 21:43.

Posts: 880 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
I use mencoder which, with libdecss, can extract the files from a DVD and do a 2-pass encode. Here's a snippet from a script wot I wrote, use $INFILE as dvd://1 for example.

mencoder $INFILE $OPTS -quiet -subfont-autoscale 3 -subcp "latin1"
-font /usr/share/doc/packages/efont-serif-ttf -noodml -nosound
-vf scale=$OUT_X:$OUT_Y $ROTATE -sws 9 -ovc lavc
-lavcopts codec=mpeg4:turbo:vhq:vmax_b_frames=0:vbitrate=$VI DBR:vpass=1 -ffourcc DX50 -o $OUTFILE

mencoder $INFILE $OPTS -quiet -audio-preload 0.8 -delay 0.1
-af volnorm -srate $AUDSR -oac mp3lame
-lameopts mode=3:cbr:br=$AUDBR
-subfont-autoscale 3 -subcp "latin1"
-font /usr/share/doc/packages/efont-serif-ttf
-noodml -vf scale=$OUT_X:$OUT_Y -sws 9
-ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vhq:vmax_b_frames=0:vbitrate=$VIDBR:v pass=2 -ffourcc DX50 -o $OUTFILE

Posts: 880 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
BTW, check the scripts directory in my downloads at
http://www.zaurus.org.uk/downloads.html

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
Similarly, if you don't mind using mencoder (which as speculatrix mentions can rip DVDs and has versions for most OSes including Windows, Linux and Mac OS X), my tablet-encode can help: it can automatically find the longest track on the DVD and rip that and even has a simple GUI on Linux:

HTH,

Andrew

Posts: 183 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Mountain View, CA
Originally Posted by bamb_i View Post
All the movies (few) that I have encoded with nokia video converter, the size of the movie is not full screen. There are black border all around. What am I doing wrong? What should be the screen size to see it full screen? The demo video says resolution of 400x240. I thought the converter would automatically convert the movie to the right size. What am I doing wrong?
It depends on the source material. If the original movie is 16x9, the ITVC maintains the same aspect ratio for the tablet. Since the tablet screen as about 15x9 (well, close enough), you'll get a small black bar on top and bottom.

Check out the Nokia Internet Tablet Video Converter: http://www.nokia.com/betalabs/videoconverter

The Following User Says Thank You to vbrilon For This Useful Post: