Active Topics

Notices

Originally Posted by Jannis View Post
I think there is no difference -Voicy vs. Saera- in making them do anything useful. Saera does all the processing in one file and Voicy separates these things into different files, one for each app to control. This separation only makes it easier to add/remove controls for a user. The actual piece of python code needed to control something is the same.

From my perspective there aren't many situations where voice control for a phone is really useful (I am not talking about fun things like Chuck Norris news etc.), but at least there are some.
My list goes as follows:
1: navit, because it's better to concentrate on driving and to keep the hands off the phone
2: accept/reject a phone call while driving
3: dial a number while driving
4: control the mp3-player (for example in bed)
5: take a picture

Any suggestions for other useful things?
Well, something I'm still trying to get Saera to do is read me my email - very useful when I want to catch up on stuff while in the car. I've got that working for the N900, but I can't find documentation on how the N9 stores emails.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to taixzo For This Useful Post:
i think the goal is similar, but a separation is needed.

voicy, as it comes across is good for app specific functionality. it is by definition easier to implement functionality for a given app because you know what that app can do. app devs could include a config/description file with their app to add support.

saera tries to be siri. in this case it's role should be to interpret what you want and decide what to launch. this comes down to lexical analysis (i think thats the right term), trying to work out what the user wants to do. take a weather query, it needs to detect what, where and when and pass this on to app or voicy to execute request.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Android_808 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Android_808 View Post
saera tries to be siri. in this case it's role should be to interpret what you want and decide what to launch. this comes down to lexical analysis (i think thats the right term), trying to work out what the user wants to do. take a weather query, it needs to detect what, where and when and pass this on to app or voicy to execute request.
While I get what you mean, I think Saera is aiming to be *more* than a Siri, nowadays. While siri pretends to be AI, in fact, it uses many "shortcuts" to look clever, without real AI routines.

Saera, OTOH, is - at least for me - mainly an AI experiments, and that's is what keeps me interested in project. Frankly, I have no need for "voice command monkey" for launching "apps"

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
While I get what you mean, I think Saera is aiming to be *more* than a Siri, nowadays. While siri pretends to be AI, in fact, it uses many "shortcuts" to look clever, without real AI routines.

Saera, OTOH, is - at least for me - mainly an AI experiments, and that's is what keeps me interested in project. Frankly, I have no need for "voice command monkey" for launching "apps"

/Estel
Absolutely true Estel, Voicy is nothing more than a small dumb "voice command monkey".

I, like all of us, would honestly LOVE to see Saera having true AI and beeing more than Siri, which -as you said- only pretends to be AI. To be honest, from my perspective this goal is far out of reach. The best AI system built so far is IBMs "Watson". It won the quiz show Jeopardy. When you compare the hardware of the N900 with Watsons hardware, with a total of 2880 POWER7 processor cores and 16 Terabytes of RAM, capable of processing 500 Gigabytes per second, you know what I mean. It's hardware is even by far bigger than IBMs super-computer "Deep Blue", the famous chess computer, the first one that beat a reigning chess world champion.

And even Watson is not true AI. It is 'just' a very big system with a huge database and driven by software massively parallel computing clever statistical algorithms.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jannis For This Useful Post:
you misunderstand my meaning. i was merely trying to get at the point that they tackle the problem at different levels using different techniques.

voicy could be used like a module to add basic support for other applications

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Android_808 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by taixzo View Post
Well, something I'm still trying to get Saera to do is read me my email - very useful when I want to catch up on stuff while in the car.
I've got that working for the N900, but I can't find documentation on how the N9 stores emails...
You need to speak to Sergey Kashin of MeeMail Settings fame:
http://kashin.github.io/MeMailSettings/
http://store.ovi.com/content/263945
He's one of the original Nokia engineers behind everything to do with email on Harmattan.

And this is the epic Harmattan email thread, where he still occasionally helps end-users:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=78480&page=92
He's the only Harmattan dev that helped end-users for a reasonable period of time.
In fact, he went way beyond reasonable & into admirable territory...

I "think" this is his Twitter account....
https://twitter.com/SergKashin

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-06-21 at 04:51.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
This sounds perfect - i am looking for an application that can record and listen to voice commands and map these commands to a customizable command line execution - that is all is needed actually - anyone can take it from there to whatever they want

Please share.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to impeham For This Useful Post:
Absolutely true Estel, Voicy is nothing more than a small dumb "voice command monkey".

I, like all of us, would honestly LOVE to see Saera having true AI and beeing more than Siri, which -as you said- only pretends to be AI. To be honest, from my perspective this goal is far out of reach. The best AI system built so far is IBMs "Watson". It won the quiz show Jeopardy. When you compare the hardware of the N900 with Watsons hardware, with a total of 2880 POWER7 processor cores and 16 Terabytes of RAM, capable of processing 500 Gigabytes per second, you know what I mean. It's hardware is even by far bigger than IBMs super-computer "Deep Blue", the famous chess computer, the first one that beat a reigning chess world champion.

And even Watson is not true AI. It is 'just' a very big system with a huge database and driven by software massively parallel computing clever statistical algorithms.
I absolutely agree, and by no means I meant to discourage your work on Voicy. Furthermore, I see great benefits in joining forces, to allow feasible "switching" to (and merging with, when necessary), a "voice monkey", to make Saera more efficient in practice.

The thing I had in mind - and it seems to be consensus here - is to not make it *only* a "voice monkey", abandoning AI aspects all-together. Like you, I have no hopes for it to become "true-true" AI, in cybernetic sense All uses of "AI" here are to be understood as "semi AI".

Still, I think that expanding the AI (as "AI'ish' as we can get with hardware in question and software in reach) behind Saera, is what makes it very, very interesting project. Adding features of Voicy, can only make it better (if we're not going to abandon backend "AI" all-together" for sake of usefulness only).

Cheers,
/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,238 | Thanked: 1,278 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Balochistan
how you give command to Saera ? im unable to make it work.

The Following User Says Thank You to panjgoori For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
The program only uses a limited set of very distinct commands at a time, but it changes from one set to another, depending on the current foreground task.
That's great, specially if you let pocketsphinx know the current mode's reduced vocabulary & grammar.

Pocketsphinx is sadly utterly useless in its current state for general dictation, specially for non-English languages. But for deciding between a much smaller vocabulary (e.g. numbers, a dozen commands) it's actually quite OK.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:

Tags
saera, speech-to-text