Notices

Posts: 201 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ San Francisco, CA
Heh, me too. <_<; Boy, were my ears red.

Posts: 259 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Halifax, NS
One thing that's not very obvious is the file type. What format does it save as/open? In Windows/Linux that information is in the file dialog, but hildon doesn't seem to show that info.

Yep, that's a known issue brought upon us by the custom Hildon save box: http://bugzilla.abisource.com/show_bug.cgi?id=11142 In "Notes", there is a menu item to select format (plain text or html/rich text). I'd imagine we need something similar in AbiWord, because we can save in a billion formats. Right now, the default is .abw - the AbiWord format - which is the best for working on things. If you want to share with others, copy it to your PC and use AbiWord to "save as" in another format for now.

PS - no worries about the dupes, everybody makes them from time to time, including me. Searching before filing is a good habit to get in to, though - some bugzillas force it, but ours doesn't so one must have a strong will

If you want to look at the current list of Maemo-only bugs (as well as those reportedly closed), here it is - please re-test these and see if they exist in the current test version, and make a note one way or the other in the comments if the bug is still open. I'm including the closed bugs in this list to make sure we have no regressions.

http://bugzilla.abisource.com/buglis...tatus=RESOLVED
Do the testers think that we're about ready to open this beta up? (That is, have you lost any data due to the current package, or does it seem relatively reliable?)
AbiWord on Maemo beta now available - contact me to help fix bugs!

Last edited by megabyte405; 2008-01-29 at 09:53.

Originally Posted by megabyte405 View Post
Yep, that's a known issue brought upon us by the custom Hildon save box: http://bugzilla.abisource.com/show_bug.cgi?id=11142 In "Notes", there is a menu item to select format (plain text or html/rich text). I'd imagine we need something similar in AbiWord, because we can save in a billion formats. Right now, the default is .abw - the AbiWord format - which is the best for working on things. If you want to share with others, copy it to your PC and use AbiWord to "save as" in another format for now.
As a user and not a progammer (and thus, I have absolutely no idea how complex doing this would be), having the default for saving being .RTF makes the most sense to me, because it's a format specifically designed for cross-platform work, and so it is by far the most versatile and useful format.

i hope i didnt miss a thing. but whats about the solution to decide the save format about the extension...

e.g. when to save in ms word use the .doc extension, when to save in plain text use .txt extension... and so on

Worth trying, but I don't think that right now we are detecting save format based on extension. It's certainly an option, though - perhaps implementing both the menu and an "automatic" option present the best combined solution.

Posts: 201 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ San Francisco, CA
Originally Posted by megabyte405 View Post
PS - no worries about the dupes, everybody makes them from time to time, including me. Searching before filing is a good habit to get in to, though - some bugzillas force it, but ours doesn't so one must have a strong will
Well, everyone at Abiword seems *really* nice about it, but I'm definitely going to be very, very careful from now on.

Right now, it does warn you if the save format and the extension don't match -- that might be adapted fairly easily, I'm not sure. I thought I had read that this was done in bugzilla.

It would be more work, but I'm a bit fond of NoteCase's save dialogs; they're custom to the program to start with, letting you name your file and showing you the current folder and letting you select a format, with a folder icon beside it opening the standard save dialog for folder selection.

The table insert thing crashes it, but aside from that, it seems very stable.

Last edited by ldrn; 2008-01-29 at 20:23.

I'm pretty sure the desktop version has an autodetect save format function, so it's probably just a matter of connecting it in the UI and/or making it the default. Thanks all for your bug reports coming in - it's great to get feedback. A few more things to try - load and save documents from various formats. (if you load a file, saving it will keep the same format) Then, look at it in another program, and make sure that no data was lost. (This is called "round-tripping") Try creating some structures, saving them in AbiWord (as an abiword doc - default) then close Abi and start it again, then load the file and make sure it works (also roundtripping)

Ryan

Speaking as just one potential user, I have no use for the "Abiword" format. No more proprietary formats for me. Text, RTF, and OpenDocument. That's the list of editable formats I intend to use for text, for the last several years and for the foreseeable future. I can export from those to whatever off-the-wall proprietary format someone else needs, on a case by case basis.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bblackmoor For This Useful Post:
amen ... father bblackmoor