Notices


Reply
Thread Tools
Community Council | Posts: 4,159 | Thanked: 10,040 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
#371
Originally Posted by ncik View Post
I checked both the log files but can't make out what is wrong with them. Hope you could help me find it. Thanks
Based on the logs there should be no reason why Nemo would not boot, the important thing here is to look for entry "kexec_load() successful" adter the selection, this tells that the kernel was found from the specified location and after that it can be booted correctly.

There actually seems to be 2 cases kernel loading fails, and neither is with Nemo; first being the default boot (when nothing is selected from menu), it looks like then the boot does not succeed and second being Nitdroid boot with "zImage_e-yes_nitdroid+l2fix" kernel, I guess you do not have that kernel installed?

Other things that might affect the Nemo boot; when the kernel is selected at the same time the init line for it is constructed, and this uses the G_NEMO_INITSCRIPT variable, if this is incorrect, then Nemo cannot find its init and will propably fail.

Do you have possibility to use serial console to see the boot messages? You can access the RxD & GND pins fairly easily from the SIMcard slot.
 
Posts: 428 | Thanked: 226 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Philippines
#372
Originally Posted by death_jax View Post
In fact I didn't write to put bzImage into /boot of Nemo, I only adviced to check if the path in ubiboot.conf is the right path to that (symlink, I know ) file, because maybe he could have modified the name of it, never exclude each possibily track when you helps someone.

I also know what you wrote in the wiki, I took the liberty to edit parts of it when you posted the message of its creation
Thanks...sorry I think I misunderstood your prior post (English is not my first language).

Thanks as well for the help in editing!

Last edited by topet2k12001; 2013-06-28 at 03:46.
 
peterleinchen's Avatar
Posts: 3,211 | Thanked: 5,824 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
#373
I also could not see anything wrong in logs, so ubi is not to blame.
I had similar problem when tried to boot nitdroid from p5. For me it was just a wrong link (to nitdroid folder itself). I had just black screen.
So it seems ubiboot can see the nemo kernel, but execution with given init fails.
Please give us also your ubiboot.conf.
And make sure you extracted the nemo.tar correctly (tar --numeric-owner -xf nemo.tar) on device itself and on correct partition (p4). Unzip the nemo.tar.bz2 on PC before copying to N9 of course.
__________________
SIM-Switcher, automated SIM switching with a Double (Dual) SIM adapter
--
Thank you all for voting me into the Community Council 2014-2016!

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature
 
peterleinchen's Avatar
Posts: 3,211 | Thanked: 5,824 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
#374
Another oddity report:

I already mentioned about missing UI bug when device is charging in actdead mode and an alarm is triggered. No chance to stop/snooze
Today I did not get any alarm at all. Reason (confirmed) was that I did shut down device from Nemo.
Like: Nemo booted, shut down, device off > no alarm

With Nidroid it was a bit different (not yet confirmed):
boot nit shut down, device off, 2s alarm rin and then device did shut down on its own again

This would need a lot of testing.
Just wanted to inform you to take care that you boot to jarmattan when you have the need for reliable alarm (wake ups)!

Maybe we can add a section to wiki to list all that stuff?
__________________
SIM-Switcher, automated SIM switching with a Double (Dual) SIM adapter
--
Thank you all for voting me into the Community Council 2014-2016!

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature
 

The Following User Says Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 428 | Thanked: 226 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Philippines
#375
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
Another oddity report:

I already mentioned about missing UI bug when device is charging in actdead mode and an alarm is triggered. No chance to stop/snooze
Today I did not get any alarm at all. Reason (confirmed) was that I did shut down device from Nemo.
Like: Nemo booted, shut down, device off > no alarm

With Nidroid it was a bit different (not yet confirmed):
boot nit shut down, device off, 2s alarm rin and then device did shut down on its own again

This would need a lot of testing.
Just wanted to inform you to take care that you boot to jarmattan when you have the need for reliable alarm (wake ups)!

Maybe we can add a section to wiki to list all that stuff?
Nice idea...will add a section.

Just to confirm my understanding (again, English is not my first language): what your post says is basically to ensure that if you want alarms to work properly (while it is shutdown), that the last OS you should have booted (prior to shutting down) is Harmattan...did I get it right?
 

The Following User Says Thank You to topet2k12001 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 428 | Thanked: 226 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Philippines
#376
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Normally when the Nemo rootFS is extracted to device partition, all the files needed to boot it up (including the most recent kernel at the time of package creation) are set to correct locations.
This is why ubiboot refers to the Nemo kernel as "/boot/Nemo/boot/bzImage", which in turn is the symlink inside Nemo to the vmlinuz-2.6.32.xxxxxxxx in the same directory.

It just works, out-of-the-box.

One thing, when you say the device "turns off after Nemo boot", did you check that it did not actually start Nemo, but without GUI?
If you plug the device in USB, if the IP interface appears on your computer, you can configure, for example 192.168.0.100 as the IP address there and SSH as root to your Nemo in 192.168.2.15

If that happens, rebooting the device should get you GUI on the next boot.

BTW, can you check the ubiboot logs on Harmattan side /var/log/ubiboot.log and /var/log/ubiboot.dmesg. From there you can see if there was some problem in the kernel selection.
Thanks for the tip. Right now I already have Ubiboot set up and using the N9 regularly...I will take some time during the weekend to repeat the process and see if I can replicate. And then if I am unable to replicate (which means booting Nemo with Ubiboot works out-of-the-box without having to copy-paste Nemo's "vmlinuz..." file), I will edit the Wiki to omit that copy-paste step, which will make the process easier for end-users.
 
Community Council | Posts: 4,159 | Thanked: 10,040 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
#377
Originally Posted by topet2k12001 View Post
Nice idea...will add a section.

Just to confirm my understanding (again, English is not my first language): what your post says is basically to ensure that if you want alarms to work properly (while it is shutdown), that the last OS you should have booted (prior to shutting down) is Harmattan...did I get it right?
It's possible this is actually so, even though I have not tested that. (I rarely ever power off my device, it's on even during the night...)

I'd imagine Harmattan does some magic to the RTC when it shuts down, ensuring that the wakeup signal is triggered correctly at the time of the next alarm. Propably Nemo and Nitdroid do not handle things the same way.
 

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 428 | Thanked: 226 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Philippines
#378
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
It's possible this is actually so, even though I have not tested that. (I rarely ever power off my device, it's on even during the night...)

I'd imagine Harmattan does some magic to the RTC when it shuts down, ensuring that the wakeup signal is triggered correctly at the time of the next alarm. Propably Nemo and Nitdroid do not handle things the same way.
Got it...thanks for the heads up, will test as well.
 
Posts: 428 | Thanked: 226 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Philippines
#379
Hi Friends,

Just wanted to give some updates:

Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Normally when the Nemo rootFS is extracted to device partition, all the files needed to boot it up (including the most recent kernel at the time of package creation) are set to correct locations.
This is why ubiboot refers to the Nemo kernel as "/boot/Nemo/boot/bzImage", which in turn is the symlink inside Nemo to the vmlinuz-2.6.32.xxxxxxxx in the same directory.

It just works, out-of-the-box.

One thing, when you say the device "turns off after Nemo boot", did you check that it did not actually start Nemo, but without GUI?
If you plug the device in USB, if the IP interface appears on your computer, you can configure, for example 192.168.0.100 as the IP address there and SSH as root to your Nemo in 192.168.2.15

If that happens, rebooting the device should get you GUI on the next boot.

BTW, can you check the ubiboot logs on Harmattan side /var/log/ubiboot.log and /var/log/ubiboot.dmesg. From there you can see if there was some problem in the kernel selection.
@juiceme: I tried to replicate by deleting the "bzImage" file (which is originally "vmlinuz-2.6.32.20130129.1-n950") that I got from Nemo's /boot partition and saved in /boot of Harmattan's partition to see if Nemo will still boot up (i.e. Nemo install with Ubiboot should work out-of-the-box without this copy-paste step). I can confirm that I am able to boot to Nemo with Ubiboot.

Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
Another oddity report:

I already mentioned about missing UI bug when device is charging in actdead mode and an alarm is triggered. No chance to stop/snooze
Today I did not get any alarm at all. Reason (confirmed) was that I did shut down device from Nemo.
Like: Nemo booted, shut down, device off > no alarm

With Nidroid it was a bit different (not yet confirmed):
boot nit shut down, device off, 2s alarm rin and then device did shut down on its own again

This would need a lot of testing.
Just wanted to inform you to take care that you boot to jarmattan when you have the need for reliable alarm (wake ups)!

Maybe we can add a section to wiki to list all that stuff?
@peterleinchen: I added a section in the Wiki.

All: I reorganized the WIki a bit. Please review and let me know your thoughts.

1. Removed "FINAL STEPS" since I have confirmed that Nemo works out-of-the-box. No need to copy-paste "vmlinuz..." in Nemo's /boot partition to Harmattan's /boot partition.

2. Flashing tip that flashes the device to "Open-Mode" right from the start - I moved this to the "Prerequisites" section, and edited the process a bit to be more descriptive.

Apologies it is taking time to finish the video tutorial...too many chores at home and at work.

Last edited by topet2k12001; 2013-06-30 at 07:01.
 

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to topet2k12001 For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,159 | Thanked: 10,040 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
#380
Originally Posted by topet2k12001 View Post
@juiceme: I tried to replicate by deleting the "bzImage" file (which is originally "vmlinuz-2.6.32.20130129.1-n950") that I got from Nemo's /boot partition and saved in /boot of Harmattan's partition to see if Nemo will still boot up (i.e. Nemo install with Ubiboot should work out-of-the-box without this copy-paste step). I can confirm that I am able to boot to Nemo with Ubiboot.
Good, it is just as it should be

I sustepect thet the problem Ncik is having are due to something in the Nemo rootFS, propably something has gone awry in the FS unpacking.
 
Reply

Thread Tools

 
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:16.