Active Topics

Anything new on the remote front?

EDIT removed info on Total Remote as 1st post mentions it!

I stumbled across this article http://www.codeproject.com/netcf/PocketBeamer.asp earlier this year and it explains how the software part works there is a follow up comment on building your own dongle http://www.codeproject.com/netcf/Poc...97#xx1686897xx

The neat thing is that it is really cheap and whilst not simple it is straightforward; in that you just have to send the wave form in two pieces (out of phase, i.e. left+right speaker). I think this would be more practical than going over Ethernet (or BT) to an IR sender.

I've not built one of these though, it is one of the many "when I get time" projects I have lined up.

Chris

Last edited by clach04; 2007-12-03 at 05:11.

I am waiting for this too. I actually bought my N800 thinking there would be some software avialable for a novice. I really want to control my home theater items using this device. I hope someone will post a how to using the software talked about on this thread.

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Espoo, Finland
This seems to be the most recent thread about remotes so I thought it'd be appropriate to post here and not start a new irreco thread.

I just wanted to say thank you to eXeonical and all the other developers of Irreco. I just installed it and use it to control my Mythtv in my living room. And wow - awesome. Great program!

I noticed some criticism of the project in the previous posts, and I have to say that at least based on the Myth part of the program, there's no functionality missing - I was able to setup a perfectly nice remote control for the frontend in a few minutes. Very, very nice program and ridiculously easy to set up.

For suggestions, the only thing I could see that would be useful is of course more button layouts etc, and pre-made remotes for Myth, a few different themes etc. but that's just polish that will, no doubt, be added later.

If anybody is interested, I'd of course be happy to send my own myth remote theme (if that's what I should call it...) to them. Nothing special about my setup, of course, just used the same background picture that I have as my myth frontend theme, so it matches. That actually might be a good idea for some theming in general: basing the Myth "remote themes" on the different Myth frontend themes that people are using. At least for me it creates a nice effect to have the remote match the frontend theme.

Kiitti jätkät, sohvalla rötvääminen on nyt entistä miellyttävämpää

Last edited by BatPenguin; 2008-01-29 at 16:55.

Posts: 30 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Minneapolis
would it be possible to use the IR port on my ericsson t39 with irreco?

I made a new thread, just for irreco.

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=15919

Originally Posted by missaghi View Post
would it be possible to use the IR port on my ericsson t39 with irreco?
I have no idea how to do that. I someone wants to write a backend for it, why not.

Originally Posted by BatPenguin View Post
If anybody is interested, I'd of course be happy to send my own myth remote theme (if that's what I should call it...) to them. Nothing special about my setup, of course, just used the same background picture that I have as my myth frontend theme, so it matches. That actually might be a good idea for some theming in general: basing the Myth "remote themes" on the different Myth frontend themes that people are using. At least for me it creates a nice effect to have the remote match the frontend theme.
Well, send it to me and i'll see what i can do

Kiitti jätkät, sohvalla rötvääminen on nyt entistä miellyttävämpää
Rötväämisiin, siis

there are usb to irda adapter for really cheap.
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=120MM&cat=CBL
would you be able to use that with an adapter? My 2 cents

Sorry to hop on the thread but... um... my friend who introduced me to the N800 PlayThing just sent me this and I'm not sure what the hell he's talking about:

"I put my n800 on steroids.

I built a linux server with 500GB of storage.

I installed the twonkymedia uPNP server on it ( which supports the N800
and the DSM 320, both of which I have)

I ripped all my cds to the linux server HD.

I installed the media streamer app to the N800

No I can listen to all this music or watch video on the N800, or
redirect it to the bigscreen and stereo in the living room.

I can build a playlist using the N800 as a fancy remote control for
everything.

You can do this with your Mac too."

Since my entire response, so far, will be a "yeah? Well *my* N800 has pretty backgrounds!", I was wondering if someone could tell me what the heck a twonkymedia uPNP server is and what a DSM 320 might be and if he worked the magic appls that this thread refers to.