Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 794 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ /Canada/Ontario/GTA
It is long overdue, but I finally had some time to put the finishing touches on Mae-Fi.

Mae-Fi is a simple Eye-Fi application for Nokia Harmattan, written in Qt/QML, with a Python backend.

For those that do not know, Eye-Fi refers to a series of SD cards by the same name that have a Wi-Fi capability. Their use is primarily for transferring images wirelessly from your camera (DSLR or P&S) to your computer or to online photo sharing sites.

I have often taken some nice shots with my DSLR, but lack a convenient way of viewing or sharing them via e-mail until they are downloaded to my home network. Eye-Fi cards can be set to use preconfigured networks, with sharing to online services, or FTP. With FTP protocol, however, the images are first sent to Eye-Fi servers, and then back to your FTP server. This is not ideal for my use case, as I do not like my photos being sent unnecessarily to online sites.

Eye-Fi does have dedicated apps that work with a Direct Mode, which enables transfer of images between the card and a mobile device. As one would expect, the platforms where such functionality exist are iOS and Android.

Being a Maemo/MeeGo enthusiast, I thought I would try my hand at making an application for Harmattan.
Mae-Fi makes use of a python script called eyefiserver. It was written originally by Jeff Tchang. The N9 and N950, being mobile Linux computers, are able to easily use this script as-is. I created some hooks to tie it back to a Qt/QML user interface.

The application has a start/stop button which enables the python script to start listening for the Eye-Fi card. It also has buttons which launch the Hotspot and the built-in gallery application so that you can connect to the Eye-Fi card, and view images that get transferred to the N9/N950. There is a settings page for you to enter the particular Upload Key of your Eye-Fi card.

Requirements for running Mae-Fi are:

1. Nokia N9 or N950
2. Eye-Fi X2 card with Ad-Hoc capability. Since Harmattan does not support infrastructure mode in its Hotspot, the more expensive X2 cards are required.
3. Hotspot mode on N9 or N950.
4. Eye-Fi Card configured to use the N9/N950 hotpot in Ad-Hoc mode
5. Eye-Fi Card with Relayed Transfer mode disabled.
6. Upload key from your Eye-FI card.

Warnings:

Data charges may apply during operation of Mae-Fi.

Instructions for use:

1. Setup the Eye-Fi Card using the Eye-Fi Centre application that comes with the card. You must use a X2 Pro card as it is the only Eye-Fi card that supports Ad-Hoc networks.
2. Copy the Upload Key from C:\Documents and Settings\<User>\Application Data\Eye-Fi\Settings.xml on Windows platforms, or from ~/Applications Data/Eye-Fi/Settings.xml on Mac
3. Using Mae-Fi, enter the “Settings” tab and type or paste the Upload Key in the Text Box.
4. Open Hotspot and make sure that the Eye-Fi card is connected to the N9(50) Hotspot.
5. Press “Start” in Mae-Fi to start listening to the Eye-Fi card.
6. Pictures will upload to the /home/user/MyDocs/maefipics folder. There is a shortcut to the Gallery Application within Mae-Fi.
7. Press “Stop” in Mae-Fi to stop listening to the Eye-Fi card.

Tips:

1. Relayed Transfer should be set to Off in the Eye-Fi setup.
2. Low battery conditions in the camera, or the N9(50) can prevent pictures from transferring.

Mae-Fi is being hosted at openrepos.net:

http://openrepos.net/content/mae-fi

Last edited by EIPI; 2013-07-15 at 03:08.

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to EIPI For This Useful Post:

Tags
camera, eye-fi, mae-fi, sd card