Banned | Posts: 280 | Thanked: 295 times | Joined on Apr 2013 @ Romania
Originally Posted by AMD View Post
Anyway, this forum adds some exceptions to several OSs due to their cases, but NEVER ever a closed source OS. Here, we have open source. Our discussions are open source. We do not welcome closed-source OSs because there is no one here to help you with what you need.

Please respect the rules, thank you.
Where are those rules written, the only think I found was this:

Off Topic is the appropriate place for philosophy, social subjects, jokes, odd/interesting news and activities that don't fit under more specific business or technical sections-- including anything poking fun at competitors. So consider the context of your initial post and find the best fit for it.
which fully allows me to create threads like mine.

We do not welcome closed-source OSs because there is no one here to help you with what you need
Man, I could quote this in every post because it made me laugh harder than it should. You do not welcome what, did I ask you to welcome or to embrace a new os? Are you kidding me? I just wanted some people to give some FREE votes to support our petition, that's it. Maybe if that petition was for legalizing marijuana powered by Nokia you would stop those useless comments?

Also in your 14 year old brain, what does open-source means to you? That a company gives you THE FULL SOURCE of a project, or releases a SDK so you can modify or create stuff for that project instead? Well let me disappoint you, MS did that, and trust me the SDK is very powerful. Even Maemo is closed in some parts, EVERYTHING IS CLOSED in some parts, but the only difference is that MS is making money from Windows and Maemo is dead, well I just wonder who is doing better?

Today 13:39
Artyom
Re: Help us please!
sorry!
<<And a poorly edit image from OP>>
Farty why did you delete your reply? Ohh yeah, it wasn't funnyeh enoug, didn't get enough upvotes on 9fag?

Not sure how I can help, but I always help when I can.
Dave, you can help by getting on that link I've posted, get a free account and upvote this petition.

...besides me finding it funny to ask "our holiness" here for help regarding WP issues, Theo certainly has a point. Again, worship Maemo/Nemo/Linux/Jolla/$FOSS-wet-dream-of-the-month only, and you're welcome here. But dare to "practise polytheism" and preferring software/systems on a per-task/per-application approach; and you are called a) heretic and b) out. No i don't want to include WP in my devices or recommend it, but i won't be so stupid to disallow questions or threads here.
Thank you for one good, sane answer. Everybody has his own preferences when choosing his smartphone device. I never said MS recommended WP to anyone, I never forced anyone to move to WP, I never went full fanatic over this OS.

This is what don_falcone said:
But dare to "practise polytheism" and preferring software/systems on a per-task/per-application approach; and you are called a) heretic and b) out.
And this is the description of this forum:
Off Topic

Totally unrelated but still worth discussing. An "other" of sorts. No religious or political topics please.
Last post: Help us please! by don_falcone @ Today 13:57 Go to last post
And for me this looks like a form of religion...!

I am going to add one last thing: Your N900/N950/N9 device is already outdated, Jolla may be the biggest fail of 2014 (and yes this is my personal opinion, deal with it!), when those devices die, you will have to switch to a new os, so if you're not helping now, when you will make that move you will just complain like little sissies why isn't your problem ever going to get fixed (BECAUSE YOU DON'T WANT IT TO BE FIXED IN THE EARLY STAGE OF AN OS!) and whine and whine and fill forums up with whining. Take action now for a better future, for a better development, for a better interaction between customer and company (doesn't matter who it is, Android, iOS or WP). This is the only way the future is going to be AS WE WANT, not AS GIVEN!

Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 710 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Beirut, Lebanon
I was trying to be kind

Originally Posted by Dave999
I will vote AMD for president next time if I'm having any shares during next meeting.

Do good for a human being and like my art page!

I was trying to be kind
Where? I didn't see any traces of a nice behavior.

Ohh yeah, I forgot... You still didn't answer my question!

Last edited by TheoX; 2013-07-18 at 11:53.

You deserve...

NOTHING!

I will vote AMD for president next time if I'm having any shares during next meeting.

You deserve...

NOTHING!
Meh, is that a 14 year old cry because his "little fantasy" was crushed. You had to wake up one day!

Me? Cry? LOL.
I bet you're crying like a little girl You are soooo uptight! You get angry really fast and take everything so seriously

Posts: 383 | Thanked: 344 times | Joined on Jun 2013 @ Greece, Athens
Well as I see it, it is an off-topic section and TheoX can write whatever he wants... Come on guys, he asked about a little help (yeah for WP! what's the problem?)! I don't really like WP as well, but he can choose whatever he wants and he likes! My brother has an htc 8s as well(even if I told him not to buy it), but this is not a reason to fight with him! I think that fights about different operating systems and phones seem so idiot to me! I mean there is no reason to do this and you don't really earn something from this! If you don't like Maemo, don't buy a Maemo phone, if you don't like WP, don't buy a WP and just keep your mouth shut! Come on guys we have so many important things in our lifes and we just keep fighting about mobile phones etc. The reason I chose to make an account in this forum, was about having some nice time here and learn more things about computer/phones/operating systems etc, not fighting about them!

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Let me step in and defuse the explosive situation.

It was all my fault, mkey.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

TheoX, you now have to understand the philosophy (as opposed to religion!) behind this community: we promote *opensource*, and as far as I know Maemo devices are today the most open environments to date: opensource apps, opensource core (even though some stuffs are still closed, those devices are the closer things to fully open today), community projects to enhance the devices in way that other platforms forbid, etc...

Why I won't help you with your petition :

- Microsoft is a hell of a company: for instance they provide personal data to external structures. All you chats, mails, skype video calls etc... made with ms accounts are monitored by the NSA. I do believe it, and I do not like it ! Same goes with Apple, Google etc... I do not like it either, and I won't endorse them either.

- Ms is here to make money despite its customers. Just take a look at what they wanted to do with the new xbox: force people to be monitored by the xbox webcam and check with their console every 24h to keep their games runnning ! Can you believe it ? They stepped back because of Sony, but what will they come up with next ?? Not to mention their policy with the transition from WP7.5 to WP8: a lot of WPhones owners were left with the old OS with their *expensive* phones: no more enhancements, so the phones were doomed with their old OS.

- WP, despite the SDK, is closed closed closed, so that MS can have full control over what you do with your phone. You don't *own* it, you *depend* on their good will and their strategies. Bad strategies. If you want to put inside your own apps (i.e: not in the store) you must have an expensive dev account. And then, you still are not fully rooted: you must install a customized rom that lacks newer WP features. I had a WP (a Lumia). Been there, done that. And believe me, although the OS was appealing in the first place, I felt stuck.

So why we love having N9/00 ? (and as I read in your signature, you used to too) It's because we do almost whatever we want with them. We're not looking for the latest trendy apps, we're looking for apps that work, and work our own way. No "app for that" ? The community build one, and every other member profit from it.

So forget you religion argument, and be realistic: not everyone care about "dead" or "alive" OS's. What is important (to us) is the mentality behind them, and WP/MS are certainly not in our hearts.

I don't know if we should ban this post. For that matter I personally think we should let you ask for help. But me for instance, won't help you. Not because I don't like you or your behavior (which *is* childish), but because I don't want to support OS's from companies like MS. Not a religion: a way of thinking. "open", "community driven", "friendly", is what I ask for my devices and for things in general. If a company is not fair to its customers, I think no one should use their products or support them.

But don't take me wrong: I don't feel this way only with phones, tablets or computers. I feel this way for *anything* in this world. I don't want to be the cow that delivers milk to big companies who care only about their interests in spite of the people. I'll stand for my ideals in every parts that make our lives. Phones is one. I won't support MS products.

Last edited by sandy_locke; 2013-07-18 at 14:13.

Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 1,127 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Amsterdam
Really, I don't care about the OS's you use, even though I don't really use anything closed source. But being a Debian-fundamentalist is a personal choice, which I would not like to see rolled out as a law on TMO or anything. And for some people, a system like Windows could really be their best choice.

So from my point of view, it's not so much a matter of "not being allowed" or even "not condoning", it's the way you communicate that I find highly annoying. Someone disagrees with you and you start name calling, demanding this, that. And if your postings would offer something interesting, your bad mood or bad manners (not sure which it is) would be something that can be overlooked. Now, to me, you often sound just like an annoying ****** that's too lazy to google and every time someone disagrees with you the words "fanboy", "age" and "politics" automatically come falling from your mouth. Is there any thread where you took part in the discussion where you didn't get into some kind of fight or brawl?

To conclude: If you use google to search TMO for Windows topics, you'll find plenty of threads where things involving Windows are discussed in a normal way. I recall a 2010-thread where someone used his/her N900 as a bootable device to reinstall Windows XP. That person got plenty of help, as there was something interesting being discussed/asked. It is not just the topic of the discussion, but also a topic starter and it's behaviour that has a certain influence on how a thread will be perceived by members here. I am pretty sure that a thread on Windows, started by lumiaman will attract more negative reactions, than that same thread, started by sifo.

/2cents