Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Sorry guys (800/770) no on-screen keyboard

(F5) = Right Click switch (works but not really needed many places yet)

(CTRL)+(F5) = xmodmap setup (This changes KP_Enter to Return, and adds (Fn)+(<) = (TAB) and (Fn)+(<) = | "pipe"

(CTRL) (q) = switch to desktop 1
(CTRL) (w) = switch to desktop 2
(CTRL) (e) = switch to desktop 3
(CTRL) (r) = switch to desktop 4

hildon buttons still work on hildon apps

cd /
tar zxvf /path/to/ICEWM4.tgz

Dont expect lots, this is for your minimalist Linux lover.

Lots more to be done, but I rather like it.

make sure you set the user password before starting xlock

This is 16MB compressed, less than 40MB uncompressed, fits right in flash.

http://penguinbait.com/ICEWM4.tgz

Please dont PM me and ask me about this, try it if you like, just run ICEWM from the extras menus.

What am I missing? thoughts are welcome...
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
Posts: 35 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Phoenix, AZ
screenshots?

Posts: 35 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Phoenix, AZ
So I went ahead and just tried it. It looks really good, although it's a bit hard to use to do certain things, I coudn't get the browser to open. hildon apps opened at a huge resolution. Overall I like it much better than KDE waaaay faster. Simple look, still functional. Also as far as size goes. I had a about 60 megs of space free on flash before untarring this, and 37.9 free after installing it, quite a bit less than 40 megs.

Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post

hildon buttons still work on hildon apps

cd /
tar zxvf /path/to/ICEWM4.tgz

Dont expect lots, this is for your minimalist Linux lover.
Can you please tell us how to kill matchbox so we can try other wm? I'm eager, but n800 w/os2008 seemsto restart matchbox faster than i can kill it

pj

Posts: 282 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Penniless Park, Fla.
Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
- what about BT keyboard use?

Originally Posted by pablo View Post
So I went ahead and just tried it. It looks really good, although it's a bit hard to use to do certain things, I coudn't get the browser to open. hildon apps opened at a huge resolution. Overall I like it much better than KDE waaaay faster. Simple look, still functional. Also as far as size goes. I had a about 60 megs of space free on flash before untarring this, and 37.9 free after installing it, quite a bit less than 40 megs.

I forgot that flash is compressed, so it takes up even less room.

The only problem I had with hildon apps is that osso-xterm is a little big, but if you use the fullscreen button, it fits on the screen just like under hildon.

You could not get what browser to open? links? or you mean Hildon browser, "microb"? microb/opera will not work under any WM but matchbox that I could ever find

This is definetly faster than KDE, but nowhere near as functional. It does however provide a fast WM and is functional enough to be usefull.
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Originally Posted by linux_author View Post
- what about BT keyboard use?
I did not break it, so bt keyboards would still work, but there is no on-screen keyboard

installation as a package would be nice, i'm nervous about putting it on because i don't see an easy way of getting it off.

Originally Posted by sydb View Post
installation as a package would be nice, i'm nervous about putting it on because i don't see an easy way of getting it off.

I understand, your concern but either I put out what I got when I got it, or you have to wait forever for me to turn into a deb, which may never happen. If I get some people here that think this is a good project, and if I continue, perhaps it will be a deb. But for now if you want to remove it, I guess you reflash.

Using my crap is like using bleeding edge technology, but I try my best not to make you bleed to much, but a little spatter is always needed

My intent was to make this much more polished before releasing but as AISU always says release early and often. This project may have never seen the light of day if I waited for perfection. If enough people find this worthy enough maybe it can have some real potential in the future.

I imagine I will do more development on this, but its also good to get some feedback along the way...

So jump on in if you dare, if not, thats OK tooo....

Posts: 239 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Massachusetts
Originally Posted by pablo View Post
So I went ahead and just tried it.
Screenshots?

---------------------------------------------