Active Topics

Posts: 228 | Thanked: 100 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Australia
Just wondering if there is anything that be done to lessen the chance of getting the thread stalled error?
The obvious one is to have only a few messages to export, but other than that, anything?

Posts: 326 | Thanked: 122 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ Italy
Hi all, in the backup file there are only English letters, isn't true? Is it possible to implement the accented letters, à è é ì ò ù, because I noticed that in the pseudo-CSV backup missing the above?

my friend, this doesnt appear to be true.
i just sent myself a text and ran the backup.

##########,2,2013-07-30 14:15:36,"ÄÆÃÀ©áàç"

the above are:
A diaresis
AE
A tilde
A grave
copyright
a acute
a grave
c cedilla

i entered them with the swype keyboard with long presses on A, c, and a.

The Following User Says Thank You to wolke For This Useful Post:
Posts: 326 | Thanked: 122 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ Italy
Originally Posted by wolke View Post
my friend, this doesnt appear to be true.
i just sent myself a text and ran the backup.

##########,2,2013-07-30 14:15:36,"ÄÆÃÀ©áàç"

the above are:
A diaresis
AE
A tilde
A grave
copyright
a acute
a grave
c cedilla

i entered them with the swype keyboard with long presses on A, c, and a.
Strange, I will investigate why in some messages in my backup those letters there aren't

EDIT: Ok, the backup at the end of june had the accented letters, the backup at the begininning July not..
For a test I compared the backup with letters and the backup without them and then adding those letters. Then I restored the backup (now with accented letters) and in the conversation app the letters disappeared again.
Maybe because for an SSH problem I changed my language setting adding the export LC_ALL=C line in .profile files.

The answer is yes, I tested with "C" or restoring the italian language "it" (removing the line in the .progfile files) and with the first the accented letters went away when I restored the backup; obviously with the second all went well.

Last edited by death_jax; 2013-07-31 at 11:28.

The Following User Says Thank You to death_jax For This Useful Post:
Hey guys,

I need all the help I can get in restoring my SMS messages that I accidentally deleted tonight on my Nokia N9. Is it possible to restore all the messages?

I there are slim chances on restoring contacts, but I've never done this before and now am really distressed that this has happened. If someone can explain the steps needed it would put my mind at ease.

All help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by wwwjfy View Post
Hi, I've just developed a small command-line utility to backup and restore SMS on N9. Also the one for call log.

It can be downloaded here:
SMSBackupRestore
CallBackupRestore

Here is a GUI version forked, JFYI: https://github.com/harmattan/MeegoSMSBackupRestore

If you're interested in building from source, a little bit instruction here.

Use at your own risk.

Donation appreciated to Paypal account: wwwjfy@gmail.com
Every time I click that link it says 'couldn't open the file because the format is wrong'

Help will be greatly appreciated.

sms/call backuprestore enables you to backup and then restore your stuff.

if you havent used it BEFORE you deleted your stuff it cant help you, except to prevent future catastrophes

Banned | Posts: 280 | Thanked: 295 times | Joined on Apr 2013 @ Romania
Originally Posted by wwwjfy View Post
Hi, I've just developed a small command-line utility to backup and restore SMS on N9. Also the one for call log.

It can be downloaded here:
SMSBackupRestore
CallBackupRestore

Here is a GUI version forked, JFYI: https://github.com/harmattan/MeegoSMSBackupRestore

If you're interested in building from source, a little bit instruction here.

Use at your own risk.

Donation appreciated to Paypal account: wwwjfy@gmail.com
Hi, can you somehow make this backup use a cloud system? Here is a good idea:

Use the TrueCrypt to pack up the lists, use a random password generator using the phone's IMEI as encryption key, and upload those files to a folder on a server generated on IMEI's base. Now, when the phone restores, or reinstalls the OS, everything is based on the IMEI so you can easily recover specifically your backup files without mixing them up with other users.

The server is not the problem, because even a FREE one can hold up enough back-ups since they are not large. The problem is the programming. This is just an idea and if I have a good tip about how you can do this I will reply.

Posts: 228 | Thanked: 100 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Australia
So I managed to backup my msg's using Nokia Suite and export using CSV format.
It's pretty similar to the smsbackup format but not quite the same. Does a little text converter already exist to convert between the two, or would it be easy to write?

I would like to use smsbackup to restore only certain msg's back.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by skyjumper View Post
So I managed to backup my msg's using Nokia Suite and export using CSV format.
It's pretty similar to the smsbackup format but not quite the same. Does a little text converter already exist to convert between the two, or would it be easy to write?

I would like to use smsbackup to restore only certain msg's back.

Thanks!
probably a good idea to have.

an immediate expedient would be to restore all of them, smsbackuprestore backup, delete all, smsbackuprestre restore the ones you want.