Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Overclocking. I still don't understand it. To the extent that I will not even try to install HD 720p video recording because it requires overclocking.
Swap. I don't know what it is. At all.
And I would like to know how to compile Fortran or Ada on-device. I can compile C or C++, thanks to gcc and g++, though I don't use it much.
Qt-GTK theming. It seems to me that any Qt application attempting to theme itself like a native application uses hard-coded paths to theme images, instead of somehow reading gtkrc file of the theme.
Maybe, there is something else. I don't remember at this moment.
Best wishes.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Posts: 277 | Thanked: 546 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ rack city
1) easy chroot
2) adding enteries to pali's u-boot for booting different OSes
3) flashing a kernel
4) offline maps
and what is it doing inside my almirah for the last 2 months!!
sorry i retired it , now im using super dumbphone nokia asha 210 since then.

Originally Posted by hardy_magnus View Post
1) easy chroot
2) adding enteries to pali's u-boot for booting different OSes
3) flashing a kernel
4) offline maps
and what is it doing inside my almirah for the last 2 months!!
sorry i retired it , now im using super dumbphone nokia asha 210 since then.
2) Install Pauli's uboot KP, then look for a ".item" file in /etc/bootmenu.d/, duplicate it, then modify it and run "u-boot-update-bootmenu".
Put your kernels on internal memory, as I couldn't make uboot find them on the SD.

4)You need windows. Install Nokia Suite (I have version 3.3.36). Once your phone is recognized, it should be intuitive to download maps in the 'maps section'.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xvan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 277 | Thanked: 546 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ rack city
Thanx xvan , i tried to understand kernel stuff but thats not my thang. Its way too advance for me and is the easy chroot. Many a times i saw the pali's u-boot details and really got pis*ed off. It is very easy for some guys but i am new to linux so i would rather not try this for now.
And i would definitely try your solution for my offline mapping requirements.The thing is people say that maps are not very doable on nokia n900 so i never used maps on my device especially offline. I have not used my device for the last 2 months and i am no more a power user so what i do sometimes is panic.

The Following User Says Thank You to hardy_magnus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
Thanx xvan , i tried to understand kernel stuff but thats not my thang. Its way too advance for me and is the easy chroot. Many a times i saw the pali's u-boot details and really got pis*ed off. It is very easy for some guys but i am new to linux so i would rather not try this for now. And i would definitely try your solution for my offline mapping requirements.The thing is people say that maps are not very doable on nokia n900 so i never used maps on my device especially offline. I have not used my device for the last 2 months and i am no more a power user so what i do sometimes is panic.
whn said that ??? Try modrana or navit a bit of effort and everything is awsome trust me i did my first apt-get update then apt:get install libgles2 to install alpha strike :yu: Just a hour ago and thats my experience with linux !! If you have a bit exta time its the best secondary device to use

The Following User Says Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
Thanx xvan , i tried to understand kernel stuff but thats not my thang. Its way too advance for me and is the easy chroot. Many a times i saw the pali's u-boot details and really got pis*ed off. It is very easy for some guys but i am new to linux so i would rather not try this for now.
And i would definitely try your solution for my offline mapping requirements.The thing is people say that maps are not very doable on nokia n900 so i never used maps on my device especially offline. I have not used my device for the last 2 months and i am no more a power user so what i do sometimes is panic.
The alternative OS thing isn't easy unless it's bundled... And you won't find it worth the time, unless you enjoy learning how to boot things (my case)... or you are interested on mobile os development. The alternative os don't offer anything to the end user per se (unless you need a specific android app , or a special distro that justifies rebooting).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xvan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 896 | Thanked: 978 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Greece, Athens
I don't understand why the USB socket is so ***ty and breaks off...
bad engineering I guess.

I also don't get why the Nokia Maps feel like a demo version of the real thing.

Lastly, I don't understand why I love this device so much.

...and off topic but I want to write it: The Nokia N8 had the best build quality (thing is a Tank!), the N9 is the single most beautiful smartphone there ever was and the N900 is the smartest smartphone ever.

Last edited by HELLASISGREECE; 2013-08-05 at 08:59.

The Following User Says Thank You to HELLASISGREECE For This Useful Post:
Posts: 43 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Marseille , France
I don't understand why I spend 500 euros on a device that was so buggy I couldn't answer calls.